D&D General What Do Tabaxi Look Like in Your Games? (A Poll)

What Do Tabaxi Look Like at Your Table?

• Type 1

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Type 2

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Type 3

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • Type 4

Votes: 56 61.5%
  • Type 5

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Type 6

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Type 0

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Something else (post a picture)

Votes: 5 5.5%

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ (He/Him/His)
In my mind's eye, they look like the rakasta (so around a 3.5) that were in the Isle of Dread module (as I didn't like the illustration for tabaxi in the 1e Fiend Folio). Interesting enough, both the rakasta and tabaxi were based on Larry Niven's Kzinti.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Whenever I include anthro PC races in my campaigns, there’s not usually ONE visual aesthetic. In this case, I would have used anything from 3-5, and other anthro races would have a similar range.

I recently designed a PC for 3.5 who was a 2-headed dog Hengeyokai- he looked like a bipedal Samoyed.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Morrowind Khajiit, with the digitigrade legs. They're very rare though- I only include the PHB and a few eberron folk in my setting (and exclude one or two PHBs).
1720418463885.png
1720418447260.png

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
We rarely play tabaxi, but when we do, they're based on small cats, so I voted 3. However, they're not always based on housecats. I ran a game a few months ago with twin tabaxi rogues based on manuls (Pallas' cats). They're loosely inspired by the twins in How to Train Your Dragon.

Scruffy-token.png
Fluffy-token.png

I voted for type 4, as that's how I view the species as standard, but I'd have a range of options for all types. Type 3 seems the same to me as type 4 except for size. In some settings you might need to separate the two as different species, but in standard D&D where every species can interbreed, I'd say they're the same species. Similar to how the Elder Scrolls Khajiit species is has 16 variations, but they're still the same species. Type 1&2 are perfect for having one Tabaxi ancestor or being planetouched, and 5 would just be a rare variation. Type 6 is the only one I don't like. If it's just an intelligent animal you have problems with tools and weapons, and if they have human like hands, then they're type 3 but cuter.

Remove ads