What do we know of D&D Essentials?

xechnao

First Post
What I am especially interested to know is if the game follows 4e's gameplay paradigm of tiles/board encounter gameplay or if it is more open ended.

But anything about it is still interesting to know.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Essentials is not a different game from 4e D&D. It is simply a new line of products that should form the new path into D&D for beginning players.

The first boxed set has just 4 classes and 4 races and three (or two) levels of play. Presumably each class will just have one or two builds with predetermined choices (but this is just speculation).

Other products in the line are a boxed set for DMs, a set of monsters, a Compendium with the full rules, two books with full options for several classes and races (this stuff should be mostly new), 3 set of tiles and a dice set.

Transformer

Explorer
Ignoring the presumption that tiles-based combat encounters = less open-ended,

The Essentials line is the same game. It's just a line of products to ease new players into the game and serve as a standard reference that doesn't change and that has most of the errata included. The "a session is made of encounters" paradigm is surely retained. I'm convinced that it's a new set of core rulebooks, but it isn't a new game.

The first boxed set has just 4 classes and 4 races and three (or two) levels of play. Presumably each class will just have one or two builds with predetermined choices (but this is just speculation).

I believe the latest news was that it does go up to level three. Also, I'm pretty sure it has open-ended character creation (with pretty limited options for powers and such, though, I'm sure).

samursus

Explorer
From what I remember, the classes and races won't be new, but the 2 builds for each class will be new. Therefore one could assume that many of the powers might be new as well.

xechnao

First Post
This sounds like the quick start rules of keep on the shadowfell.
Are you sure there is not some kind of confusion?

I have the impression that essentials is going to be something different than 4e. While compatible with certain things it would still be different.

A difference kind of like the one among Basic D&D and AD&D.

MrMyth

First Post
Are you sure there is not some kind of confusion?

I have the impression that essentials is going to be something different than 4e. While compatible with certain things it would still be different.

There is confusion, but I think just on your end - that Essentials is something different than 4E.

It isn't.

It is a new line of products aimed at new players. It will include new powers and features for existing classes, presumably designed to be simpler to approach. It will not overwrite existing material, and will be completely compatible with all current 4E products.

That's pretty much what we've been told - I'm sure we'll see for ourselves in time, but nothing indicates this is a seperate game in anyway.

xechnao

First Post
That's pretty much what we've been told - I'm sure we'll see for ourselves in time, but nothing indicates this is a seperate game in anyway.

Do you have any links? From what I have vaguely gathered I got the impression that it is a somewhat separate game line.

the Jester

Legend
Do you have any links? From what I have vaguely gathered I got the impression that it is a somewhat separate game line.

While I don't have a link handy, you could prolly Google search it and look at it on the WotC site somewhere. Essentials is more or less a beginner's kit for getting into 4e. It's the same game.

Remove ads