• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What DO you DO for... Paladins?

reanjr

First Post
I don't like spellcasting paladins. I prefer for their spellcasting to be replaced with supernatural abilities (like lay on hands).

- pokemount is replaced by a normal one
- lay on hands increased to (Wis mod + Cha mod) x Level
- 4th holy weapon - turns weapon into good +(Cha mod), uses turning attempt 1min/lvl
- 7th Detect Undead - at will
- 11th Rejuvenate - use 10 points of curing to heal 1 ability damage
- 14th Restoration - use 20 points of curing to heal 1 ability drain or regen limb

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Raven Crowking said:
Multiple prestige classes, designed to reflect the interests/portfolios of various deities.

Multiple PrCs? Hrm, I've been doing something similar for Base Classes. Do you have any posted anywhere to look at? Would certainly like to check them out, even if they are for different deities than the ones I'm using.

[And though I don't think I've ever posted on any of your threads, I've seen several and you have some pretty cool ideas].

ender_wiggin

First Post
I revamped the whole thing. The paladin concept is part of a larger base class I generally refer to as champion, though holy knight and godchosen are more appropriate in-character. In my world there's a pantheon with 19 gods, and each has a slightly different champion. Champions do not cast spells.

There's a base template but each champion gets to choose from a list of "gifts", which are powerful custom-made special abilities.

Also, each champion can smite a special opponent. One champion can even change his smite target.

Only one champion can lay-on-hands. Only one champion becomes immune to poisons. Only one champion has a special mount.

You're prolly saying, "dude this must be extremely tedious". And it is -- however, I don't design holy knights until somebody proposes an interest to play one, and to design one champion, which basically involves creating the "gifts" (numbered between 12-18). Takes a few days. No big deal.

If someone's interested, I can post an example of one champion.

Lopke_Quasath

First Post
ender_wiggin

I am curious about your champions. I would be interested in you posting one example champion, plus perhaps including a list of your "gifts".

I like to "yoink" from these threads (kudos, of course, to Nyaricus for starting them).

Edit: Forgot to include what I do with paladins in my campaign. I don't have strict alignments in my campaign, so any of the UA variants can be used. Good and evil still exists and registers via spells (usually played by ear by me). The paladin can choose to summon a weapon instead of a mount. The weapon is gained at 5th level and grows in power along with the paladin. The weapon is the paladin's deity's favored weapon. It starts off as empathic and has stats as an intelligent weapon. It starts with a +1 enhancement at 5th level and increases +1 roughly every 3 levels. It grants some bonus feats when wielded (starts with weapon focus and weapon specialization), as well as some other powers. If sundered it can be re-summoned 30 days later or next paladin level, whichever comes first (it re-forms on the celestial planes).

Cheers

Last edited:

Raven Crowking

First Post
Dog Moon said:
Multiple PrCs? Hrm, I've been doing something similar for Base Classes. Do you have any posted anywhere to look at? Would certainly like to check them out, even if they are for different deities than the ones I'm using.

[And though I don't think I've ever posted on any of your threads, I've seen several and you have some pretty cool ideas].

Thank you.

I'm heading out of town for about a week and a half today, but when I return I'll try to get my notes into a workable form. If you've seen my other threads, you know that I am completely rewriting D&D. I had been working on the equipment chapter, having (at player request) skipped prestige classes for the moment (they are still exploring the core classes I presented).

RC

Nyaricus

First Post
Lopke_Quasath said:
I like to "yoink" from these threads (kudos, of course, to Nyaricus for starting them).
Thanks, that's why I started these threads - to yoink idea's from ENnies in one place, in an easy format - otherwsie you are searching all over for half-redundant posts. Thus far, the fighter thread has been my favourite out of all of them, because I have added so much into my fighter class to make it nice and original :)

Raven Crowking said:
If you've seen my other threads, you know that I am completely rewriting D&D.
Well, I have been fortunate enough to receive a copy of you campaign book straight from you, and I am still mulling over all the goodness I've found inside :) En Worlders, RC didn't reinvent the wheel, he just added spikes and tank treads - his PHB is a very different beast.

Raven Crowking said:
I had been working on the equipment chapter, having (at player request) skipped prestige classes for the moment (they are still exploring the core classes I presented).
Neat, I await to take a gander at these :)

Captain NeMo

First Post
I've considered replacing them with Champions of a particular ideal. Less focus on alignments, more focus on certain groups they oppose. Perhaps a law-enforcing type (LN, Judge Dredd flair), a Revolutionary (Any chaotic, would champion the masses against the current government) and a Defender (Any good, would be more of a normal Paladin than the others).

Shades of Green

First Post
I do not use "generic" PHB paladins; I use different holy warriors (some called "paladins", some not) for different gods and religions. A holy warrior of Meya Ennah (a nature-goddess) is going to be more similar to a PHB ranger, while a holy warrior of the Dwarven smith-god is going to look more similar to a paladin, though more focused on the 'lawful' side of things rather than on the 'good' one.

Abisashi

First Post
For campaign I'd like to run, I remove the alignment restriction (as there is none in this campaign except for outsiders, and most of the paladins would be LN or LE if there were) and swap out abilities based on which order of paladins the person is in. The abilities that get swapped out are Detect Evil, Smite Evil, Turn Undead, and Remove Diseas; each remains, but affects something different. Champions of Valor does a little of this, and it is what inspired me. Turning has been generalized to channeling in my campaign.

Order of Marka
The Order of Marka is devoted to Arlat; its purpose is to destroy users of foul magic, such as druids, warlocks, and spell-singers (though this task is often handled by senior paladins, or handed off to members of the order of Jareth).
Detection: Magic.
Smite: Magic-using creature (Bard, Druid, Hexblade, Warlock, creatures with (sp) abilities)
Channeling: Divine Interdiction.
Weekly Power: Spellshatter (See Champions of Valor, page 46).

The only legal magic in this setting is that practiced by the clerics of the Four.

Divine Interdiction [Channeling]
You can channel positive or negative energy to disrupt and enemy spellcaster.
Prerequisite: Ability to channel.
ib]Benefit[/i]: Choose an enemy within close range (25 ft + 5 ft / 2 channeling levels). Expend a channeling attempt and make a channeling check with a +4 bonus. If the result of the channeling check is positive, apply a penalty to the targeted creature’s caster level for spells and spell-like abilities equal to the result of your check. This penalty lasts for 1 minute, unless the victim makes a will save, at which point it lasts 1 round.

The result of the channeling is the same as the modifier from the "Most Powerful Undead Affected" column of the Turn Undead table in the PH (though I have extended the table). This will turn off a caster's highest-level spells/invocations and weaken the ones they keep. It might be too powerful, I haven't tested it.

Two more of the Palladin orders:

Order of Elter
The Order of Elter is devoted to Marlish; its purpose is to destroy undead and those who deal with them. This is the second-largest order of paladins.
Detection: Undead.
Smite: Undead.
Channeling: Turn Undead
Weekly Power: Halt Undead.

Order of Gelt
The Order of Gelt is devoted to Zirth; its purpose is to protect and heal others.
Detection: Life.
Smite: You may smite those who threaten an ally, or have harmed an ally in the last 5 rounds.
Channeling: Sacred Healing.
Weekly Power: Remove Disease.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads