• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What do you do when your players are gunshy?

S

Sunseeker

1: If they don't want to fight monsters and they don't want to get involved in politics your only real alternative is Indiana Jones. If you're still interested in resolving the game you're in, create openings for them to cleverly resolve situations with wit and skill. Though honestly it sounds like you're doing this, so I'm not sure what your players really expect from you.

2: If you want to run a new game, that's up to you. I'd say that if they didn't want to play the game I was running, they're welcome to make something up. Perhaps some shorter games where a single story or short adventure is resolved within a single, or within a few levels. It can be high, it can be low, doesn't matter, key is short and someone else has to run it.

3: Tough beans. 4e dropped good damage. 3.5 dropped good damage. You're gonna have to go really old, in which case HP was a lot lower to relatively speaking the damage/HP ratio hasn't changed much.

4: 5E doesn't prevent you from going off on your own. That is entirely up to what you want to do and what kind of class you play.

ccs

41st lv DM
Ok, so you have a minimal list of what they DON'T want....
(No continuously fighting monsters, NO politics, 50% don't want to start over, & 1 guy doesn't want 5e)

So you have to find out what they DO want.
You could do this by email or such, but it's best done by gathering everyone together in real life & making that discussion the point of the session. And then taking a week or so off, playing board games, etc while you craft something from the feedback received.

Another important thing to consider is this: What do YOU want? Because even though you're the DM you've got just as much at stake here fun-wise as any player

S'mon

Legend
It sounds like more sandboxy, more choice, more of a range of threat levels, and let the players chose the threat level - megadungeons where you decide how deep to delve, West Marches type wilderness with zones at different challenge level, a variety of active villains of different scope and power. Allies who can aid the PCs (& soak up XP). These all work great in 5e.

It sounds a bit as if you're running 5e like it was 4e, but 5e works differently and needs to be treated differently. Big Epic Scary All The Time works in 4e, but not in 5e.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Minions. Minions always work.

Also, city-based adventures. Or, put them in an archipelago and have them island-hop for adventure. If you can find it, see the Savage Tide Adventure Path (3e Dungeon magazine) for ideas.

Slow your advancement rate. 5e's only been out a year and you're already on your third campaign past level 10?

Fights aren't the only way to make encounters interesting - but there should usually be at least two ways to win them. And you can always end fights early by having foes surrender instead of "fight to the death".

Stop using monsters and start using _people_. _PEOPLE_ tend to have goals and desires beyond "eat and kill" which can make more interesting foes.

Have a main villain. If that's not practical, set up an exploration hub (wild lands to be mapped!) or a mercenary group (like Acquisitions Incorporated) that actively competes with the players - when the players retreat/avoid fights, have them hear stories later about the Mercs who finished the job and got their rewards and BRAG 'EM UP. "Yeah, that Frost Giant Jarl was super-tough, but luckily I was able to find this spear that practically melts Ice creatures when ya poke 'em... it told me its name is 'Snowpiercer'."

Minions. Minions always work.
I hadn't tried that yet in this edition...

Also, city-based adventures.
we did that for a while

Or, put them in an archipelago and have them island-hop for adventure. If you can find it, see the Savage Tide Adventure Path (3e Dungeon magazine) for ideas.
my friend and one of the players has that path...

Slow your advancement rate. 5e's only been out a year and you're already on your third campaign past level 10?
nope... you got me wrong this is my first 5e campaign. And we started at level 5 and have gone about 12 levels in a little over a year of weekly games...

Fights aren't the only way to make encounters interesting
yes, but I do traps, and social interaction, and even just plain mystery...

- but there should usually be at least two ways to win them.
with my group they are very good at looking outside the box

And you can always end fights early by having foes surrender instead of "fight to the death".
yup... do it all the time...

Stop using monsters and start using _people_. _PEOPLE_ tend to have goals and desires beyond "eat and kill" which can make more interesting foes.
um... I don't think you get it... I do that all the time. Infact they make allies out of enemies when they identify what they want and give it to them in return for helping them...

Have a main villain.
Hec tor kar.... he was once a demon lord. However long ago the planes were made harder to cross, and the outsiders were mostly locked out. Now only they can only be summoned by mortals, and it's hard to do. To over come this, the demon lord got his cult to summon him, and he impregnated an orc... then 'birthed' himself into a new mortal form...of course this didn't work out exactly as planed. 7 years later he had 80ish present of his power in a young albino orc body that could not be banished, but he could still be killed.
So he got himself embraced a vampire, then killed the vampire that made him. that was about 2,000 years ago right after the great flood...
so Hec tor Kar raised an army of evil binding demons and embracing orcs. An army of darkness almost over ran the highlands and it's neighbors. How ever a chosen hero pick up the sword of Kord and lead the young knights of highland against the army... it wasn't enough. they could fight the army, but not Hec Tor Kar and his main lts were too much. AN alliance was made with the Yaunti sorceress queen and the mummy lord to bring the most powerful magic with the knights.... they couldn't kill the big guy though.
since he couldn't be killed the paliden with the sword, the mummy, and the snake sorcerer built three towers, and used a special alignment of stars to lock him in a demiplane forever...
So Hec tor Kar isn't free, but he can now send out his thoughts and communicate... for the last 20 years he has been building allies. Most people don't even belive in the stories anymore, and that is the world the PCs find themselves in...

If that's not practical, set up an exploration hub (wild lands to be mapped!)
the hoard lands in my case...

or a mercenary group (like Acquisitions Incorporated) that actively competes with the players
as sentioned knights they have more resources then any group in the world...

- when the players retreat/avoid fights, have them hear stories later about the Mercs who finished the job and got their rewards and BRAG 'EM UP.
well I can't have someone else put togather the artifact, it is too powerful.
"Yeah, that Frost Giant Jarl was super-tough, but luckily I was able to find this spear that practically melts Ice creatures when ya poke 'em... it told me its name is 'Snowpiercer'."
yea because that's not really the issue

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Phew! Ok, so I was wrong on multiple counts...bad assumptions on my part I guess. :) That's a good thing...it means I don't think you guys have a DM and Player issue.

Right. My new contention is that maybe your players are just kind of getting bored with the whole "D&D play-style"? The base premise and baseline for D&D (especially 5e), is exactly what you, the DM, are presenting: "The PC's fight monsters and take their stuff...sometimes just for material gain, sometimes for the greater good, sometimes because they are being paid/asked/forced to...but it's still 'kill monsters, take stuff'."

If you look at the focus of the rules...PC "abilities", a large focus on 'combat', and very little in the way of PC/Campaign "downtime" detail, it's pretty obvious it's focusing on the "Dungeons" and the "Dragons" part of the name (er...yeah...). If you look at some other Fantasy RPG's out there, some have distinctly different focuses, with rules and support for other things in the game. Taking a look at A Song of Ice & Fire, for example, has specific rules, classes and other things that cater to 'social' role=playing. If you take a look at Hackmaster (yeah, I said Hackmaster...), it has a plethora of skills, abilities, rules and even entire books dedicated to all the "downtime" stuff. But with 5e D&D? You get a small section in the DMG that has a simple presentation of 'things a PC can do when not adventuring'. There aren't really any skills, spells or abilities for classes that support any of this "downtime" stuff directly.

I think your players are suffering from the "Been there, done that" syndrome. In short, to use a video game analogy, they have "hit level 80" with other characters...now when they play new ones in a new campaign they still "know" what the end-game will be like. They know what it's like to "be level 80 and fight the worlds BBEG". There are no new surprises or things to do...from a game perspective. Sure, the setting may be different, the characters certainly will be, but that "awe and wonder" that they had when they first cast Meteor Swarm after striving to acquire it (and the levels to cast it!)...that's gone. When they see another PC in the group cast it, it's not "special" anymore.

Ok, now what to do about it? Switch to a different game system. Others have suggested this as well, and I think it's something you guys should seriously look at doing. It doesn't have to be a "permanent" thing; just a temporary hiatus from the D&D grind. It can be fantasy, but maybe try a different genre...Sci-Fi, Super Hero, or Horror (or whatever genre you guys are interested in). This will bring back that sense of "first time" for much of the experience. If you all really still want to play a Fantasy game, make sure it's really different from the standard premise of D&D. Go try Talislanta, Skyrealms of Jorune, or HARN Master, for example. All still fantasy, but all quite different.

Talislanta: www.talislanta.com
Jorune: ...hmmm... try Amazon (3rd edition is probably cheapest; one book, $15 - $20)
HARN: www.columbiagames.com

If everyone is still set on 5e...well...I don't know what to tell you. I don't think it's going to get much better without some serious changes. Maybe try using rules (or not using) you guys haven't? Don't allow multiclassing, no Feats, a few things from the DMG like 'lingering wounds', or maybe longer healing periods (short rest = a day; long rest = a week), or switch to a completely different campaign world; Greyhawk, Birthright, Mystara, or even Kingdoms of Kalamar ( http://www.kenzerco.com/hackmaster/setting.php ) or Calidar ( http://bruce-heard.blogspot.ca/ ). Or, yes, even Forgotten Realms....I guess....if you want...maybe...

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide!

PS: Optionally, just say "screw 'em!", and create your own fantasy world the way you want. Do it for fun. Do it for yourself. Who cares what "they" want, or what "they" think is cool or not. Don't do it for anyone but yourself. Let your creativity loose and just go with it! Personally, I've created 5 fantasy campaign settings (three of them, quite fleshed out, one sort of fleshed out, and one is very loose still...but it's supposed to be that way). The oldest is about 33 years old, the youngest about 2 years old. I create 'world's all the time...most don't stick, but some really do grab me and I keep on working on them when the mood strikes me. Maybe they (your players) are getting a bit bored with your current world? Maybe you are and don't even realize it yet? At any rate, a whole new world to explore is always fun and exciting! :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Rhenny

Adventurer
I think your players are suffering from the "Been there, done that" syndrome. In short, to use a video game analogy, they have "hit level 80" with other characters...now when they play new ones in a new campaign they still "know" what the end-game will be like. They know what it's like to "be level 80 and fight the worlds BBEG". There are no new surprises or things to do...from a game perspective. Sure, the setting may be different, the characters certainly will be, but that "awe and wonder" that they had when they first cast Meteor Swarm after striving to acquire it (and the levels to cast it!)...that's gone. When they see another PC in the group cast it, it's not "special" anymore.

Ok, now what to do about it? Switch to a different game system. Others have suggested this as well, and I think it's something you guys should seriously look at doing. It doesn't have to be a "permanent" thing; just a temporary hiatus from the D&D grind. It can be fantasy, but maybe try a different genre...Sci-Fi, Super Hero, or Horror (or whatever genre you guys are interested in). This will bring back that sense of "first time" for much of the experience. If you all really still want to play a Fantasy game, make sure it's really different from the standard premise of D&D. Go try Talislanta, Skyrealms of Jorune, or HARN Master, for example. All still fantasy, but all quite different.

Talislanta: www.talislanta.com
Jorune: ...hmmm... try Amazon (3rd edition is probably cheapest; one book, $15 - $20)
HARN: www.columbiagames.com

If everyone is still set on 5e...well...I don't know what to tell you. I don't think it's going to get much better without some serious changes. Maybe try using rules (or not using) you guys haven't? Don't allow multiclassing, no Feats, a few things from the DMG like 'lingering wounds', or maybe longer healing periods (short rest = a day; long rest = a week), or switch to a completely different campaign world; Greyhawk, Birthright, Mystara, or even Kingdoms of Kalamar ( http://www.kenzerco.com/hackmaster/setting.php ) or Calidar ( http://bruce-heard.blogspot.ca/ ). Or, yes, even Forgotten Realms....I guess....if you want...maybe...

A while back, our group did a little gaming using Star Wars Edge of the Empire. We had a lot of fun and it felt completely different from D&D. With the new Star Wars movie out, this might be a way to recharge and refresh.

Call of Cthulhu is another game that is very different from D&D, as fighting monsters in that game is basically a death wish - explore, escape, gain insanity, unearth the horrifying secrets of Eldritch evil.

Even with D&D, a world like Dark Sun, or Ravenloft, could be the change too.

Last edited:

Warbringer

Explorer
Play board games for a while ... A little zombiecide is fun or even a nice long game of talisman. It just sounds like the group is fatigued on 5e.

Remove ads