D&D 5E What do you do when your players are gunshy?

Satyrn

First Post
so in your mind, if someone does something that can't work, and that you seeded into the story of the course of levels can't work, you should just say "Ok you win."?

in your mind I should not describe the world as it comes, but instead make it so no matter what the PCs do they win?

I would say yes. When my players do something they feel really ought to be successful, I will shuffle details around to make it successful. In this case, I might just say the item is indeed in the vault, but if inspiration strikes while they're on the way to vault, I would add an obvious clue to tell the players aren't quite right. Guards talking about the villain getting ready to take his bath, leaving that precious item unattended in his dressing room while he does so. And oh, the PCs had already passed the passageway of pipes that leads to the bath house.

Or just stick the item in the vault while he's taking his bath.

Satyrn

First Post
Or a pair of robed, novice wizards grumbling about being summoned to the villain's bath house to heat the water. And of course they mention the item will be there, perhaps talking about stealing it for themselves while it's out of his sight as he takes his bath.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
so in your mind, if someone does something that can't work, and that you seeded into the story of the course of levels can't work, you should just say "Ok you win."?

in your mind I should not describe the world as it comes, but instead make it so no matter what the PCs do they win?

If you did a good job telegraphing that the given tactic could not work and the players do it anyway, then that's on them. If you failed to telegraph this well, then it's on you.

Mephista

Adventurer

We're sitting down to tell a story around a table togther. Even when players fail a roll, pick the wrong choises, the result should always, in some way, still advance the story. Even TPKs should be dramatically appropriate.

If you did a good job telegraphing that the given tactic could not work and the players do it anyway, then that's on them. If you failed to telegraph this well, then it's on you.

I don't know how well I telegraphed it though... one PC blew up at it, another laughed and claimed to have know the whole time, and the weirdest part is BEFORE they even went north they discussed the possibility... but that was like 5 levels ago.

What I thought was the biggest clue was the fact that he doesn't like trusting spell casters at all, and that in his army he only has a handful of level 3-5 shamen... but he supposbly locks his most presiuses thing behind wards made by casters....

I would say yes. When my players do something they feel really ought to be successful, I will shuffle details around to make it successful. In this case, I might just say the item is indeed in the vault,

so I will ask my players if that is what they want from now on.

I will say when I play I would hate to learn that my clever plans were only clever because the DM changed the world to suit my plan...

Satyrn

First Post
so I will ask my players if that is what they want from now on.

I will say when I play I would hate to learn that my clever plans were only clever because the DM changed the world to suit my plan...

Then you may want to go with the second half of my post instead: Tell them they're on the wrong track before they get too far down it, and find a way to Carry Over their success as they head the right way. That success they had sneaking towards the vault carries over to them being within short reach of the bath house and a temporarily unattended item; now they need to act fast, or fail to capitalize.

This way, the clever plan worked to a point, then what you had already set in place is still essentially there

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I don't know how well I telegraphed it though... one PC blew up at it, another laughed and claimed to have know the whole time, and the weirdest part is BEFORE they even went north they discussed the possibility... but that was like 5 levels ago.

What I thought was the biggest clue was the fact that he doesn't like trusting spell casters at all, and that in his army he only has a handful of level 3-5 shamen... but he supposbly locks his most presiuses thing behind wards made by casters....

It would seem like this is a good topic to discuss with your players in terms of getting feedback on how you did on this score.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Then... don't tell anyone?

DM secrets that enhance the gaming experience should remain secret. It's like how a magician should never reveal the trick. Some of the best gaming sessions I've run are when I react to the players and improvise to enhance the story. The ideas that players have become fodder for action and exploration. The trick for the DM is to maintain the illusion of a living, dynamic world while still giving pcs the chance to succeed and fail and become stars in the imaginary world. A lot of it does depend on the type of players at the table too.

If I sense player frustration, I will certainly improvise to attempt to alleviate the frustration.

Remove ads