• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you like in a RPG?

Aussiegamer

First Post
I think you guys are wrong, he is making his own system and I must say that he seems to have done what I am heading for.

A system that I and my players like playing. And I suppose thats the point, you end up house ruling a system so to enjoy the game you are playing.

Originally Posted by Treebore
The system I am playing, which has a simple but flexible core engine,

yep doing that too

that allows my players and I to attempt to do whatever we think of, smooth and simple combat,

yep this too

plus a mechanic that lessens the impact of high or low stats.

OK this is getting weird, doing this too.

Plus the mechanic is versatile enough that I can easily use any of my D&D material from any edition with ease.

Hum OK this is a bit different, you need to slightly adapt to Nexus.

Its taken 20 years, but the perfect system for my personal tastes and style has been created. I am one happy gamer!

And yep it has been a work in progress for me as well, for about the same time.

Treebore, do you have a downloadable file for the system?

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I like a ruleset that is easy to use and run for beginners, but still has enough complexity to keep the "old guard" coming back for more. Internal consistency is a must. Add-ons should fit in seamlessly with the core rules in an intuitive manner.

solkan_uk

First Post
I like rulesets that allow me to be truly heroic, Exalted, Spycraft 2.0, Falkenstein and so on.

I don't like having to do stuff that doesn't happen in books/films - such as checking for traps on every door.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Aussiegamer said:
Not referring to any RPG system, what is it you like about it?

Aussiegamer,
You seem to be asking a question that isn't system-specific in a forum that is system-specific. If you'd prefer a more broad answer, we can move this thread over into the General forum for you.

Aussiegamer

First Post
The idea is to talk about a game you like mechanics without getting into a this games better than that game discussion. there is enough of them already.

It is referring to d20 OGL games specifically.

Eltharon

Explorer
I like detailed character creation ala GURPS (After all, its your character, you should spend some time making him)

I like combat that is reasonably tactical without having to contantly look up rules (I would say that Spycraft and Game of Thrones do this). GURPS is on the complicated side, and DnD is on the "Ok, i attack again" side. Combat also needs to be reasonably fast, not like oWoD or Riddle of Steel.

Non combat encounters. More detail then a couple skills!

Preferably one thats flexable enough to cover several "worlds" but not generic enough that it needs expansions and house rules to get it to work in a given setting. So if I grab AGOT D20, I would like it to be flexable enough to run any sort of low fantasy game, and not lock me into Westeros. But I dont except to use it to run my sci fi game.

Combat needs to reward thinking rather then powergaming. One of my major peeves with D20.

Some RULE that forces PCs to flesh out their characters beyond one or two sentance outlines.

I like GURPS adventages as well as feats. Wish there was a way to combine them.

Remove ads