• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you like in a RPG?

Aussiegamer

First Post
Not referring to any RPG system, what is it you like about it?

Say you like the skills set up or the psionics system or the combat system?

And why?

Personnal I like a easy to run combat system that allows for variantion in the combat. Not just roll to do damage type stuff.

librarius_arcana

First Post
Setting wise, Colour, flavour something I can get my teeth in too, with plenty of scope

System wise, Freedom to create the type of character I want, with lite crunch :)

Johnny Angel

Explorer
I like RPGs with a skill system. The 2nd Edition 'proficiency' system now seems so crude and tedious. I also like the ability to build on a point-buy system, though there is a certain thrill to random generation such as in Marvel Super Heroes. d20 is a sort of hybrid point buy system, and it features feats, which resemble not GURPS advantages so much as the 'perks' from the Fallout game. You even get one every three levels, like in Fallout. I loved it there, and I loved the fact that such an option was introduced in 3rd edition.

kroh

First Post
I think that a good system should be flexible enough to create any setting some one would want without having to tweak pull and strain it into shape. The other thing I really like is rules that allow you to create anything. Systems that require an in depth knowledge of its inner workings to create anything more complex than a knife is just too cumbersome to me.

When systems show up and start throwing out rules for determining wind direction or the flight path of a European Swallow...the rules are getting in the way of the game. The best systems can be picked up in minutes, learned in hours, and played indefinately.

God stuff...
Regards,
Walt

hobgoblin

First Post
i just want to say that the kroh post makes me think of me recent interest in tri-stat. but i guess i should take that somwhere else as we are not supposed to discuss exact systems here...

i would say that in general i like games that have interesting mechanics, and that while not getting in the way of the game (alltho that can allways be taken care of by the GM) should have atleast a bit more depth then say flipping a coin.

on that page i want to dodge most of the creations that are a result of the thinking done over at "the forge". to me those games focus to much to the aspect of "cooperative storytelling" and to little on the game.

Last edited:

malladin

Explorer
My wish list for an ideal game (and some of them counter-act each other, so its probably a "dream" game):

1. Speedy character creation.

2. Lots of character options, so that I can create the character I want (and I can come up with some obscure ideas, believe me :) )

3. I like class-based character creation, whether traditional in D&D or points-based templates as in WoD games. Classes should be dripping with setting flavour - they inspire character ideas and show you the type of character you should be playing in the setting (one reason why True 20 worries me, although the settings out there seem to add something in this direction).

4. Combat should be fast-paced and flow. Combat represents the most exiting part of the books, TV shows and films we're trying to recreate, so it can't stagnate and get bogged down as too many D20 system games do.

5. Combat should allow me lots of different options to play around with - combat is the "game" part of a rolepaying game, and plays a big factor in my enjoyment of the game.

6. Combat should have clear rules of play, so that I can play around with strategy as a player, not just win by building the better character.

7. All of the game, including combat, should allow the player to take control of the narrative to some degree, like the dramatic editing rules in "Adventure!".

8. Finally, and probably most importantly, a game should have a fantastic setting, and mechanics (particualrly character mechanics) that capture the feel of the setting.

Cheerio,

Ben

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads