• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you like in a RPG?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) Flexibility to model a wide variety of archetypes within the game's genre.

2) Enough logic and internal consistency so that I'm not sitting there going "Yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiiight."

3) A minimal amount of "special situation" rules and exceptions.

4) Liberal amounts of rules/mechanics explanations.

5) Clear writing, with a minimum of neologisms, slang, or jargon.

Aussiegamer

First Post
There seems to be a vast bulk of stuff that players want but the idea seems to be simple, but flexiable.

After playing both a simple game to build a PC and then play combat and another that is complex to set up but still very simple to play I have ended up liking the complex start and simple play.

The complex start allows for more PC fun in the combat and more involvment leading to player "fun". Though i do still enjoy playing the simple game as well.

hobgoblin

First Post
im starting to tink plugable rules modules.

the basis should be a single simple mechanic that can be used for all things, including combat.

this way you have a simple basis, and should be playable at said stage.

then on top of that you can plug in all kinds of modules that add to said rules with more detail in whatever areas one feel the need. combat, magic, whatever.

librarius_arcana

First Post
hobgoblin said:
im starting to tink plugable rules modules.

the basis should be a single simple mechanic that can be used for all things, including combat.

this way you have a simple basis, and should be playable at said stage.

then on top of that you can plug in all kinds of modules that add to said rules with more detail in whatever areas one feel the need. combat, magic, whatever.

I'd buy that, ;)

Myself, I dislike classes as I find they limit the character, and prefer point buy systems. I would put forward WEG's D6 system forward for a looking and GURPS.

But yeah I agree with all the points above.

Treebore said:
The system I am playing, which has a simple but flexible core engine, that allows my players and I to attempt to do whatever we think of, smooth and simple combat, plus a mechanic that lessens the impact of high or low stats. Plus the mechanic is versatile enough that I can easily use any of my D&D material from any edition with ease. Its taken 20 years, but the perfect system for my personal tastes and style has been created. I am one happy gamer! :D
Spill some details, man!!

Please? :)

Psion

Adventurer
Could it be that someone doesn't know of Treebore's gaming preferences? :confused:

It seems like just last week, a post of his would not pass without mention of it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads