D&D 5E What Do You Need to Roll Up a New Character?

What Do You Need to Roll Up a New Character?

Yora

Legend
Player's Handbook
Half a page listing the character options for the campaign
Character Sheet
Pencil
A d6 (I checked 4d6, but one is enough)
15 minutes

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
What about a pint of ale? Mead?

Oddly, I'd like to echo adding items to this poll: Basic Rules and/or the SRD.
I had 5E in mind when I created the thread and wrote the poll, so all of the options are going to lean in that direction. But don't let that slow you down...just vote for whatever options best fit. Most editions have the PHB, DMG, and MM. Others might not have Tasha's or Xanathar's, but they do have Unearthed Arcana or Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords, for example.

Just check the stuff you use regularly, and make use of the "books not listed here" option if you gotta. I'm doin' my best!

(Good call on the mead, though. I can't believe I left out the entire Beverage category.)

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
That really depend on what type of character I want to play, but I dont care much for character options with lots of buttons and fiddly bits.

and I have a ridiculous memory when it comes to game rules.

So generally I dont need any book nor do I even write my characters stuff; I know my sheet by heart.

So if we were just finishing diner and you suggested that we started a new D&D game , like, right now, I'd need at least one d6 to roll my stats. And if I'm playing a caster, I'd favor spellcards for my prepared spells and use one of the d6 to mark my remaining slots.

but that's the most basic version of it.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You're rolling up a brand-new character for your regular 5th Edition D&D game!
Since it is for my regular game, I don't need to talk to other players or my DM (if that is not me) or house-rules really because few of our have impact at 1st level.

What all do you need to make that happen? Check all that apply.
The PHB, pencil, character sheet, and an hour or less. I can choose standard array, so don't need dice, with quick build options for gear and such from class and background, so I don't need to roll money, either. Assuming I have the character sheet on hand, I won't need the photocopier. :)

I know that "need" is a strong word, and I know that technically all we absolutely need to play D&D is a handful of friends and some dice. But semantics aside, I'm curious about the books, tools, and equipment we typically deploy when crafting our characters. Tell us about them!
Friends and dice are only for playing the game, not making the character. Sure, they are still fun to have around but I don't need them. ;)

Now, what do we use when playing is an entirely different situation.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I took "A chat with my players" as "A chat with my fellow players". I actually prefer to be the last one to choose, and help fill in any gaps in the party. I have far too many ideas I want to play then I will ever have a chance, I might as well pick one that complements the party.

Additional things needed not in the poll.
  • An online dice roller that sends copies of the rolls to me and my DM.
  • Any setting books or documents (official, 3pp, homebrew) the DM is using, if any. (While some may be listed in the poll, I don't need them unless the DM is using them.)
  • Mordenkainen's & Witchlight for additional character options.
  • @MechaTarrasque 's wonderful summary of options (D&D 5E - 5e Lists of Monsters, Spells, Races, Feats, Etc.)
Not needed to make a character, but usually done afterward: find a good image for them.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
and I have a ridiculous memory when it comes to game rules.

So generally I dont need any book nor do I even write my characters stuff; I know my sheet by heart.
Yea, I'm generally the same way. I know all the options in the books to make decisions, I just generally need to double check details like what skills are on each class list, things like that. So, I generally only end up using the 1-2 books that have my chosen race and class option.

Adamant

Explorer
I don't really need anything other than my phone for dndbeyond, which I guess counts as a computer, although I did vote for the player's handbook as well since that's the minimum I'd be satisfied with as far as allowed resources. With only basic rules I'd pretty much be locked into playing a nonhuman monk because I wouldn't have feats, and monks are the only class I've ever really been happy playing featless. I can make a character in a minute or so, but the backstory would simply be a general idea that I later expand on and write down over the course of days or even a week.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases