Dragonlance What do you think of the Kender?

pukunui

Legend
What do you think?
I think that WotC’s designers still haven’t quite grokked what constitutes a racial trait vs a cultural one.

The kender’s semi-fearlessness* and their free skill proficiency are due to their magical origins, but their taunt is just “extraordinary” and, in my view, should be a learned cultural thing, not an innate one.

I’m glad they’ve tried to reduce the stereotypes, though.

*I reckon they didn’t go with full immunity to fear because of that one time Tas felt afraid.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I think that WotC’s designers still haven’t quite grokked what constitutes a racial trait vs a cultural one.

The kender’s semi-fearlessness* and their free skill proficiency are due to their magical origins, but their taunt is just “extraordinary” and, in my view, should be a learned cultural thing, not an innate one.

I’m glad they’ve tried to reduce the stereotypes, though.

*I reckon they didn’t go with full immunity to fear because of that one time Tas felt afraid.
Here's the thing though; being immune to the frightened condition =/= being afraid.

Also, I'm amused by all the "usable x times per day" abilities returning in 5e, after being soundly rejected in previous editions ("why can my character only perform his Vorpal Tornado attack once per day?").
Because after 50 years they haven't yet figured out how to build the fatigue system into the x times per day abilities.
It is not like we have a secondary resource to utilise. (Cough, cough...Hit Dice)

Remove ads