• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What do you think of the new rules for preparing spells?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
1670986273056.png

glass

(he, him)
There is no “massive fiddliness”. “Prepare spells of each level you can cast, equal to your spell slots of each level” is not fiddly.

It’s dead simple.
"Massive fiddliness" might have been slightly hyperbolic, but it certainly is fiddly beyond first level. At 1st level, the two cases are basically identical. The complexity of the 5e version is static. The complexity of the new version scales linearly with level. I do not understand how this is in any way controversial.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
"Massive fiddliness" might have been slightly hyperbolic, but it certainly is fiddly beyond first level. At 1st level, the two cases are basically identical. The complexity of the 5e version is static. The complexity of the new version scales linearly with level. I do not understand how this is in any way controversial.
Because you’re white-rooming the supposed issue into something it isn’t.

It literally just breaks down the process of choosing spells into level by level chunks, rather than a no-guidance pot, which is damn near objectively easier for the vast majority of people.

Especially because the number for each level is literally already there. It’s the same as your number of spell slots.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It literally just breaks down the process of choosing spells into level by level chunks, rather than a no-guidance pot, which is damn near objectively easier for the vast majority of people.

Especially because the number for each level is literally already there. It’s the same as your number of spell slots.
Yes, but that really only appears as an easier approach for players jumping into higher level characters. For players who started with 1st level in 5e, they're preparing 1+Wisbonus 1st level spells initially and then adding 1 per level. As they gain access to higher level spells they can opt to start preparing them too. The burden and the understanding grow organically and I have yet to find players who have had much difficulty with it.

glass

(he, him)
Because you’re white-rooming the supposed issue into something it isn’t.
Yeah, I am "white rooming". So are you. The packet came out a couple of weeks ago, so neither of us could possibly have done extensive playtesting with it. EDIT: But this is well past the point of being worth the effort.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Yeah, I am "white rooming". So are you. The packet came out a couple of weeks ago, so neither of us could possibly have done extensive playtesting with it.
Honestly, considering the OneD&D play test version of prepping spells is very similar to prior editions, anyone who has played spell casters with both 3e and 5e isn't entirely white rooming this one.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes, but that really only appears as an easier approach for players jumping into higher level characters. For players who started with 1st level in 5e, they're preparing 1+Wisbonus 1st level spells initially and then adding 1 per level. As they gain access to higher level spells they can opt to start preparing them too. The burden and the understanding grow organically and I have yet to find players who have had much difficulty with it.
Well, what does “much difficulty mean”?

Because I have seen players confused by it, and end up with the wrong number of prepared spells, or with no level 2 spells prepared, or way too-heavy with one or two low level spells and mostly high levels spells and then regret it on an adventuring day with no real opportunity to take a long rest.

I have also seen many players assume that the UA rule was the phb rule, or do it that way even tho they didn’t have to, because it was easier for them.
Honestly, considering the OneD&D play test version of prepping spells is very similar to prior editions, anyone who has played spell casters with both 3e and 5e isn't entirely white rooming this one.
Yeah definitely not white room, in my case. I know people in groups whose houserule is “you can prepare spells equal to your spell slots per long rest, and any remaining prepared spells can be of any level you can cast”, Nevermind the experiences I’ve already mentioned, and having people make 3rd level characters both ways to start a game.

Yaarel

He-Mage
Spell points are simple, intuitive, narratively sensical, and newbie-friendly.

Spell points work better as the default.

Spell slots can be a variant in the Dungeon Masters Guide.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Spell points are simple, intuitive, narratively sensical, and newbie-friendly.

Spell points work better as the default.

Spell slots can be a variant in the Dungeon Masters Guide.
Or we can go a few editions without it, and then introduce a new prepared casters that is significantly weaker than the main class because the designers think having slots is super crazy powerful.

Only then will the sorcerer have justice.

Remove ads