D&D (2024) What do you think of the new rules for preparing spells?

Yaarel

He Mage
The only thing I don’t like about this is it’s a nerf to the number of spells a wizard can have prepared compared to the current system. If I wanted clairvoyance (utility), dispel magic (defense) and fireball (offense), I’m done under this system, whereas the current system I have six more spells I can prepare. Even the playtest slot system gives you more variety
I realize basing the number of prepared spells on the spell points per Short Rest, is a nerf to the number of spells prepared at any given time. But. It mainly impacts the higher tiers, where accessing fewer spells at any moment might help balance the casters, compared to noncasters. It might also speed up gameplay at the higher tiers, since there are fewer spells to comb thru during combat.

Meanwhile, rituals are still available without using spell points, as are auto-scaling cantrips. Plus, a Wizard can use a Rest to prepare different spells instead.

It is a nerf, but a gentle one that allows the player to finetune.

I suspect the access to fewer spells at any particular moment, will encourage a players "favorite spells" to remain in place, which will enhance the distinctive flavor of the spellcaster character, with certain spells frequently the go-to. Especially at the higher tiers.

Yaarel

He Mage
The more I play D&D, and I played from '99,

with this system, I would prepare 9 fireballs and all problems would be solved.
You only need to prepare Fireball once. If you choose to cast it twice at level 5, you will have no more spell points to cast any other spells until your next 1-hour rest.

Heh, not all encounters benefit best from Fireball.

Yeah I gotta say, the way the UA is handling spells is the way I thought it was meant to be. My players have to, only because I didn't know I interpreted it wrong. I feel like a lot of these UA changes are changes to ways people have been playing it all along.

Remove ads