D&D 5E What do you think should be done with alignment?

The following come closest to describing what I would do about alignment (choose up to 2):

• I find the 5e D&D use of alignment is very solid and would substantially keep it.

• I find one of the 1/2/3e nine alignment uses very solid and would substantially go back to that.

• If find the 4e five alignment system is very solid and would substantially go back to that.

• I find the OD&D/B-X three alignment system is very solid and would substantially go back to that.

• I find one of the D&D defined choice alignment systems useful, but would substantially modify it.

• I would replace using a defined choice alignment system with something more verbose.

• I'd dump the whole idea of even vaguely briefly trying to describe what alignment does.

• I find the Holmes Basic/1e MM five alignment system is very solid and would substantially use that.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why does it matter? It's not hard to get the general idea through, how they implement it for their own PC doesn't really matter to me as long as they find it useful. If they don't find it useful they ignore it.
Because language only has value when it transmits the intended message. When two people cant agree what is Lawful and what is Chaotic, it means the language isn't well defined. An author can't put an NPC's alignment and have it be useful as a descriptor other than what the reader decides to subjectively project onto it.

Oofta

Legend
Because language only has value when it transmits the intended message. When two people cant agree what is Lawful and what is Chaotic, it means the language isn't well defined. An author can't put an NPC's alignment and have it be useful as a descriptor other than what the reader decides to subjectively project onto it.
But the only person that cares is the one running the character. Besides, everyone I've ever had this discussion with in real life is in the ballpark. It's only when you try to force alignment to be the only thing that matters or when taken to an extreme.

If you don't like alignment, ignore it.

theCourier

Adventurer
I like to remove Good and Evil from it all, because then you get Morality instead of Alignment.

For my personal settings, I'd just use Law - Balance - Chaos and then most beings unaffiliated with the Great Cosmic Struggle are Unaligned.

The universe is but a playground formed from the Cosmic Tussle between the alien, immortal forces of Law and Chaos. It's a mixture of their essences, lawful AND chaotic. Hence laws of physics, hierarchies, and other types of order existing at the same time as magic, coincidence, and randomness.

Law is Order, Routine, and Stasis. Cosmic Lawful beings want everything to function like clockwork simply for the purpose of everything and everyone having a place and purpose. Even if it's boring as all hell, it doesn't matter because perfect function and execution is the highest form of beauty to them.

Chaos is Magic, Change, and Instability. Cosmic Chaotic beings experiment with the essence of reality and create new life, new places, new everything according to their current whims and then those creations are imbued with their own will that causes them to rebel and create new things themselves and so on. Nothing lasts long, but that's ok because something exciting is always happening.

Those aligned with Balance are those that know the universe has to remain as it is, because either Law or Chaos winning would mean the destruction of life as we know it.

Like I mentioned, most people are Unaligned but Chaos and Law are VERY good at convincing mortals that their side is the right one, offering them riches, powers, technology, and command over certain aspects of the universe to gain any advantage over the Eternal Fight.

teitan

Legend
This is a restatement of the first edition Monk, thief skills right there. Plus other options work in 1e for Batman including the OA version of the Ninja. A better fit for Batman even. http://taxidermicowlbear.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/7/4/23742956/first_edition_monk.pdf
I've said before that I consider "alignment" to be "allegiance" to Law/Chaos in a Moorcock sense. So for most worlds I don't think it's useful (OTOH, I'd use it if we were playing old-school Planescape where belief shapes the planes because that's one D&D campaign setting where I think alignment was integrated into the setting in a manner that fits with how I've always viewed alignment). I attribute this to being introduced to both the Basic D&D alignment system and Moorcock at roughly the same time in my youth :)

For the "traditional" view of a alignment that a lot of people have as "shorthand for character personality" to play at the table - I actually prefer the 5e Trait/Ideal/Flaw system from the Backgrounds. At first I thought it was too constrained because each Background has so few of them but after running it in play with different groups it works quite well to give new folks a hook for their character to play. Even my players who are mostly there to beat up monsters and take their stuff will surprise me by pulling out a trait or an ideal when making a decision for their character.
yeah I think it boils down to “have you read Moorcock” when it comes to Alignment. Then the people who have never read Moorcock and think D&D is some generic fantasy game, which is valid to an extent. D&D really breaks as a generic fantasy game though, it’s a genre unto itself and alignment is an aspect of that genre. Before D&D fantasy was very broad with wildly imaginative and different approaches. A Wizard was as likely a priest or cultist and a cleric was a powerless desk jockey as much. The D&D approach with divine vs arcane magic was unique and redefined fantasy completely as D&D nerds grew up to be game designers and novelists, artists, comic book creators and their idea of fantasy, D&D, became the default fantasy. Dragon Age was built on the bones of Baldur’s Gate, as was Divinity, and numerous others. Then Warcraft has the same arcane/divine and that’s been such an influence on all fantasy from a design stand point it’s bonkers. Their influences, with Warhammer, on Orcs and Goblins is heavy like green skin, the massive frames of orcs etc. orcs in the 80s were lean and lanky, still almost ape like but not silver back gorillas.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
Law is Order, Routine, and Stasis. Cosmic Lawful beings want everything to function like clockwork simply for the purpose of everything and everyone having a place and purpose. Even if it's boring as all hell, it doesn't matter because perfect function and execution is the highest form of beauty to them.

Chaos is Magic, Change, and Instability. Cosmic Chaotic beings experiment with the essence of reality and create new life, new places, new everything according to their current whims and then those creations are imbued with their own will that causes them to rebel and create new things themselves and so on. Nothing lasts long, but that's ok because something exciting is always happening.

Those aligned with Balance are those that know the universe has to remain as it is, because either Law or Chaos winning would mean the destruction of life as we know it.

Like I mentioned, most people are Unaligned but Chaos and Law are VERY good at convincing mortals that their side is the right one, offering them riches, powers, technology, and command over certain aspects of the universe to gain any advantage over the Eternal Fight.
to me, acting with clockwork in mind is like in Evil Masters ( NE actually ) : classic Dance.
Strict!

Hussar

Legend
Looking at the poll, I can really see how 5e has nicely threaded the needle here. There's no real consensus and each view has a pretty strong following meaning that dumping or actually using alignment is a non-starter.

So, we get 5e alignment - a descriptor without any mechanical meaning that is easily ignored. It makes those who want alignment happy and those who don't can accept it too.

What will happen with alignment in the future? For now? Nothing. They will keep alignment as a vestigial digit, pointless and meaningless, yet still present enough to be a sop to those who want it.

Remove ads