• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What do you think should be done with alignment?

The following come closest to describing what I would do about alignment (choose up to 2):

• I find the 5e D&D use of alignment is very solid and would substantially keep it.

• I find one of the 1/2/3e nine alignment uses very solid and would substantially go back to that.

• If find the 4e five alignment system is very solid and would substantially go back to that.

• I find the OD&D/B-X three alignment system is very solid and would substantially go back to that.

• I find one of the D&D defined choice alignment systems useful, but would substantially modify it.

• I would replace using a defined choice alignment system with something more verbose.

• I'd dump the whole idea of even vaguely briefly trying to describe what alignment does.

• I find the Holmes Basic/1e MM five alignment system is very solid and would substantially use that.

Results are only viewable after voting.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
On the contrary, thats why Batman is able to go rogue while maintaining his lawful alignment.
ok I wanted to point out that LG people shouldn't use stealth or Hide in Shadows, because that may lead to confusion to " only the good die young "
look if you dare at the Thief from older Editions : He couldn't be LG ( am I wrong ? )

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
ok I wanted to point out that LG people shouldn't use stealth or Hide in Shadows, because that may lead to confusion to " only the good die young "
look if you dare at the Thief from older Editions : He couldn't be LG ( am I wrong ? )
I'd guess that the name thief implies they must run afoul of the law. Which, is why the class name was changed to Rogue?

le Redoutable

When your focus is on you as an individual, rather than a greater whole, how is that lawful? Chaotic people can have strong codes. Two Face has a a particular personal rule even!

I'd say he's CG (usually) with lawful ideals of justice (except Adam West Batman, who is LG). But this is why it's a poor shorthand.

I'd say his focus on his own wants, rather than working to improve the society he claims to want to benefit makes him chaotic. He's a cishet white male billionaire super scientist with 18's in every stat. The idea that he can't change Gotham for the better and improve the system is ludicrous. He's chaotic because he puts nothing above his own personal quest for vengeance. It's worth noting Batman kills people, notably Darkseid. Like the Pirate Code, it's really more of a guideline.
Two Face ! with a name like that he's surely CN lol
( Tazer Face ! )

le Redoutable

I'd guess that the name thief implies they must run afoul of the law. Which, is why the class name was changed to Rogue?
Thief includes Spying
while Rogue ... includes Krav Maga ( the Israelian " martial Art " which is so violent that they filmed a " Fight Club " atrocity )

Yeah, the old 1E Thief couldn't be LG. Maybe even 2nd edition as well.

Stealth, well, specifically sneak attacks, is a good thing to consider for how society thinks of it. Is it considered dishonorable or cunning? Smart or cowardly? Authoritarian states would seek to demonize it (outside of their own secret police) with the old "if you have nothing to hide..." adage. The old Cavalier code IIRC allowed for sneaking for certain things, but not ambushes.

I have never had a substantial problem with alignment in any game I've played in or run since 1976 when I started playing. I explain my alignment concerns to players at the outset of any campaign. If something comes up in-game, I explain it again and players make choices while FULLY informed of how I run it and WHY I run it that way. I also have players who don't try to abuse alignment for gain, or push it wildly beyond what it is intended to do and then claim it's broken.

I've written REAMS about alignment over the years. I know what to use it for and how. I ensure my players do as well. Nothing more is needed and the classic 9-alignment system works quite well for the purposes as I have defined them for myself and players.

Remove ads