What do you think the new setting will be, from Ampersand?

Which setting do you hope is released for 4th ed, next?

• Spelljammer

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 119 67.2%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Planescape

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Al-Qadim (Arabian adventures)

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • Kara-tur (Eastern adventures)

Votes: 16 9.0%

• Poll closed .
Dark Sun,

many fans out there, and it just didn´t work in 3.5 ;)

Ok, it also didn´t work in 2nd edittion if you really use the rules...

but I could easily imagine it working in 4e... wit psionic rules blending fine into the normal system, this will be a grat points of light setting, without ruining anything ;)

Aloïsius

First Post
Of the options presented in the poll, I went with Dark Sun, but I have a sneaking suspicion it will be Greyhawk.
Please, no : both the implied setting and FR are already vanilla fantasy settings (and the implied setting is a mixture between FR and Greyhawk anyway). We don't need another one.

Like many others, I bet it will be Dark Sun :

1) every online poll shows that this is the most anticipated setting
2) psi and shadow screams Darksun, even if elemental chaos don't
3) post apocalyptic setting will fit nicely with our own world in 2010 B-)
4) it's really different from the base line
5) we already have the manual of the planes, there is no need to hurry for a planescape remake
6) Eberron, which is still somewhat new as a setting, is 2009 setting : it's time to raise some great old one.
7) Al Quadim, Maztica don't have enough traction.
8) This way we can have a new oriental adventure in 2011, with Ki and elemental power sources.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
What, no love for Birthright in the poll? I would have thought that would be a particularly good fit for 4e design and ethos.

Quickleaf

Legend
I'd like to see something entirely new after Eberron. Take one of the sub-genres of fantasy (swashbuckling, dark fantasy, etc) and mix it up with the core assumptions of 4e. That or Rich Burlew's setting.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I would really hate to see some convoluted the gods return to Athas, try to re-shape the world to better match other worlds they oversee, only to be driven off by an unholy alliance of an escaped female mul gladiator and Borys reborn who give birth to the dragonborn race, while elves take to the newly grown forests and reclaim their heritage as eladrin and then teaching the halflings literacy and proper hygene (and focusing on their psionic surfboards because that was the awesomest part of Dark Sun in one of the designer's high school games), but it's all 12,000 years later, so none of that actually matters, and on and on. Sometimes trying to explain the difference just makes more of a mess than saying, "Hey, it's different now."

If I see this I'm blaming you....

Don't give them ideas.

FourthBear

First Post
Of the options presented in the poll, I went with Dark Sun, but I have a sneaking suspicion it will be Greyhawk.
I'm hoping for Al Qadim myself, but that's not the only reason I would almost dread them picking Greyhawk. Between the various camp of Greyhawk purists, I would think the number of complaints and infighting over every little detail on a revamped Oerth would be legendary. I don't know if I could stand to see the dozens of threads that would erupt whenever someone wrote an article on using dragonborn in Oerth or describing the new Scarlet Brotherhood.

That and they've tried a number of times to launch Greyhawk campaign settings with lackluster commercial success, I believe.

If they want more Greyhawk material published, I would suggest they grant the license to Paizo to publish 4e materials for that setting. If I could stand the wailing from anti-4e diehards, I think the resulting products could be excellent.

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
What, no love for Birthright in the poll? I would have thought that would be a particularly good fit for 4e design and ethos.
I would vote for Birthright. I picked up all the books for it as 3E was being released. I started to run a campaign for it and, rather than deal with the messy 3E conversions, was going to do 2E. While creating characters I decided that I just couldn't do 2E.

I also would vote for Greyhawk. Supposedly, there were "confirmed" reports that Greyhawk was in development for one of WotCs 4E settings. Within days there was a "confirmed" report that Dragonlance was as well.

Of the ones here, none of them am I "hoping" for. I would be fine with some of them, but really are hoping for none.

I am almost certain it won't be Planescape or Ravenloft. They have already pretty much been put into the 4E setting.

Last edited:

DerekSTheRed

Explorer

I would have voted for Birthright if it were an option. Especially since Rich Baker created it in the latter days of TSR. It has a PoL setting with the Shadow World or as I like to call it, the Shadowfell's baby daddy. They would have to add rules on running a kingdom to the next DMG (skill challenges FTW) and maybe a mass combat ruleset (stolen from SWSE's Clone Wars perhaps) but that's all very doable.

I'm curious to know if having a sucessful novel line helps or hurts a setting. Dragonlance has 18 (I think), Dark Sun has 13, Birthright has 6 (one of which was an eBook by Rich Baker), and Ravenloft has 23. If having a line of novels helps sell the setting then it seems Ravenloft or Dragonlance are the two favorites.

Remove ads