• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you want in a fantasy setting?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Psion,

Bring back ley lines. Lots of people like them and they can be a good springboard for ideas for a modfied magic source. You also might want to tie in a psionic culture that outlawed arcane and/or divine magic.

All,

Hey, no reason we can't bounce ideas off each other. Its all good.

[spam]
Buttercup,

No Gnomes at my site. I think I have the other stuff you're looking for as well.
[/spam]

Psion

Adventurer
Buttercup said:
I want a world of dark grittiness, where adventurers can make a difference, for a while, but where dreams of actually banishing the darkness are futile.

Well I won't be writing that setting. I find that sort of futility to be intolerable drek.

Psion

Adventurer
Yuan-Ti said:
Doesn't the contest say they want something "like FR"? I really wonder why they want a new setting anyway.

I can guess. I have often said that my prime game world is NOT that far from FR in mood, feel, or sorts of conflicts or villains. My world is just stripped down, more consistent, less cluttered. Perhaps WotC sees that too.

That said it is still something of a mystery to me. Despite comments like mine, FR continues to sell well.

IceBear

Explorer
I want a world of dark grittiness, where adventurers can make a difference, for a while, but where dreams of actually banishing the darkness are futile.

Isn't that Ravenloft?

[Edit] I think there are a couple of homebrewed campaign settings in the Story Hour that look to be winners.

IceBear

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
BiggusGeekus said:
Bring back ley lines. Lots of people like them and they can be a good springboard for ideas for a modfied magic source.

Heh. My main world has ley lines. They are a neat device and are pretty pivotal to my theory of magic... I may import my ley line stuff.

The problem is that EVERYONE (okay, maybe not everyone, but a lot of people) associate ley lines with RIFTS. Aargh!

Aeolius

Adventurer
I'm not sure the gaming world at large is ready for an undersea campaign setting riddled with hags, demons, and their offspring. My Night Hag Family Tree alone would take up half the book. ;)

Granted, it would help WotC eat into Blue Planet sales and would introduce "official" rules for adventuring in three dimensions, so the idea is not without merit.

Falcon

First Post
Without delving too deep into particulars, I would really like to see a Conan-esque setting; nations forming and being destroyed, barbarians, jungles, ancient powers and sorceries, near-gods appearing, raw babaric might, jungles, spwarling sea-ports, wars, and political intrigues.

Stuff like that would be fun, methinks.

hong

WotC's bitch
Psion said:

I can guess. I have often said that my prime game world is NOT that far from FR in mood, feel, or sorts of conflicts or villains. My world is just stripped down, more consistent, less cluttered. Perhaps WotC sees that too.

That said it is still something of a mystery to me. Despite comments like mine, FR continues to sell well.

1 theory is that it's because what makes for an interesting setting for a book, and an interesting setting for a _game_, are two different things.

A book world is usually focused, in order to maintain interest in the narrative flow. A game world can be as far-flung as necessary. In fact, the more far-flung the better, because it increases flexibility.

A game world like FR has lots and lots of different areas, each with its own flavour; and lots and lots of power centers, each with their own agenda. Taken together, this results in an inconsistent, cluttered feel. However, it also has the major advantage that FR can be used as the setting for lots and lots of different campaigns. If you want a "bright-and-shining kingdom vs hordes of evil" campaign, you use Cormyr vs the Zhents or the drow. If you want a more intrigue-laden campaign, you use Amn, Sembia, or some other similar place. If you want a wilderness campaign, go north to the savage frontier. Etcetera; and that's not even counting "peripheral" lands like Kara-Tur or Maztica.

Much the same applies for homebrew game worlds, vs commercial game worlds. If you're creating a world only for your own campaign, flexibility isn't a major deal (assuming you don't intend to run lots of vastly different campaigns, anyway). However, if you're designing a commercial world and you want it to have as broad an appeal as possible, you want it to have lots of varied plot hooks and places where people can drop their own campaigns. Even if the sum total appears confusing, people can throw away the bits they don't like, and use only those bits that are directly relevant for their purposes.

Furthermore, when creating a homebrew campaign world, you're free to throw in as many quirks as you like. However, for a commercial world, the more quirks you put in, and the quirkier they are, the more of an effort people have to make to familiarise themselves with how things work. Thus you could have cannibal halflings, or dragons ruling the major kingdoms, or whatever. However, these aren't your typical fantasy tropes, so unless people specifically want to have cannibal halflings or dragon-kings in their campaign, they wouldn't want to go to the trouble of modifying their own ideas about fantasy to fit in with your world.

End result: worlds like FR and GH, that appear bland at first glance. However, they also sell by the bucketload compared to exotica like Darksun or Birthright, because "bland" also means "customisable" and "unobtrusive".

Hong "do I get a share of the $100k?" Ooi

KingOfChaos

First Post
I'd like something totally different from FR and GH personally. I really don't want to see anymore generic fantasy settings by WOTC.

Remove ads