• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you want in a fantasy setting?

Frostmarrow

First Post
Falcon said:
Without delving too deep into particulars, I would really like to see a Conan-esque setting; nations forming and being destroyed, barbarians, jungles, ancient powers and sorceries, near-gods appearing, raw babaric might, jungles, spwarling sea-ports, wars, and political intrigues.

Stuff like that would be fun, methinks.

I hear you. That was the first thing that entered my mind. Just keep Conan out of it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I want a world similar to Dark sun in its "differentness."

I do not like gritty and oppresive genres, normally, but dark sun struck a chord in me for its "differentness." You couldn't say, "halfling" and know what a Dark Sun halfling was compared to a Faerun Halfling or a Greyhawk Halfling. The same with dwarves, and half-giants, and even the alien Thri-Kreen. I want a world that is swords and sorcery fantasy, but carries things in a direction different from the norm.

The big trick in creating the next "Forgotten Realms" is to find the right "hook." Forgotten realms had the hook that it WAS "lived in." Greenwood had the place more detailed than any fantasy setting up until that time, short of Middle-earth or Tekumel. Its appeal was that you immediately wanted to know more about these characters, how well they meshed, who did what, and where these oddly-named places, though not TOO oddly-named, really were.

What will "hook" gamers? It is hard to say. But what would hook ME is a world that gives the dynamic feel of RE Howard's Hyperborea and the 180-degree approach of Dark sun.

Warchild

First Post
since you asked...

-Completely different races
-Completely different magics
-Contained classes/prestige classes that are unique to the setting and NOT easily ported to other game worlds.
-An in-depth look at their gods (that doesn't mean 100 gods either) and and background enough that makes them something other than a collection of domains.
-Enough history to make the place feel lived in, but not enough that stifles DM's (Early FR and recent FR respectively)

I won't get any of these, but thats what i want. It makes no sense to me that they might want another setting thats like FR, but not exactly. Huh?? Why split the fanbase? If they are looking to create another setting with elves, dwarves, and fireballs/ressurections at every street corner, why not just put some real effort into GreyHawk instead?

S'mon

Legend
Falcon said:
Without delving too deep into particulars, I would really like to see a Conan-esque setting; nations forming and being destroyed, barbarians, jungles, ancient powers and sorceries, near-gods appearing, raw babaric might, jungles, spwarling sea-ports, wars, and political intrigues.

Stuff like that would be fun, methinks.

Sounds like my gameworld Ea in its current 'Time of Chaos' period. See:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/5955/Borderlands.htm

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
I gotta agree with Warchild. Why do we need just-another-fantasy-world? If I want to buy off the rack, I can sit down with a pen and some paper and do it myself. It's not like it takes that long to have something playable, even if it won't sell a million copies.

In this case, different is good. Anybody ever see Talislanta? The "we don't need no stinking elves" game. That was good fantasy and it was different enough that nobody is going to mistake it for FR, GH, DL, or just about anything else.

If WotC wants to make a big splash with a new fantasy setting, it's going to need to be NEW.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Yuan-Ti said:
Doesn't the contest say they want something "like FR"? I really wonder why they want a new setting anyway. I hope Sword and Sorcery submists Scarred Lands....

Doubt it, the guys at WW want to hold on to creative control. Besides let's face it, this world IS MUCH cooler now that the WotC people aren't involved. I will admit, I wish SOME Of the Non-OGL elements were in this, but not so much that it ruins the flavor Yuan-Ti.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Greatwyrm said:
If WotC wants to make a big splash with a new fantasy setting, it's going to need to be NEW.

And like big splashes, it will fade, since gamers are like sheep. They enjoy eating the grass they know and what they get fed. Which is why I think WotC is making a mistake here. But it's their's to make. I do think though they are doing this BECAUSE of the not so hot sales of anything else besides a few FR items. That is, of course, my opinion.

rounser

First Post
And like big splashes, it will fade, since gamers are like sheep. They enjoy eating the grass they know and what they get fed. Which is why I think WotC is making a mistake here. But it's their's to make. I do think though they are doing this BECAUSE of the not so hot sales of anything else besides a few FR items. That is, of course, my opinion.
Hmmm. Both FR and DL sell a lot of novels, that's the common thread in their examples here, and that's where the real money is, I guess.

So I think you may well be off the mark, mostly because I doubt they're looking for a gamer's world in particular - that's probably just a bonus, and a marketing tie-in for novels. In other words, I don't think they've got gamers in mind except secondarily with this venture. Then again, novels returns helped send TSR bankrupt, and so I may be wrong and WotC may be returning to bread and butter...

EDIT: Silly me. WotC bread and butter isn't RPGs, it's TCGs...

Last edited:

Khorod

First Post
Two words: Black Company.

large groups could get together to be the hyperpragmatic heroes.
Magic is weird, and you advance in 5 level increments...

Remove ads