• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What do you want to see excised?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Then, for those of us who want more of a high fantasy feel, add "paragon" and "epic" characters with their own 1-10 progression, and optional rules to advance from the base 1-10 – let's call that "heroic" – up to paragon and from paragon to epic.
That's a very good idea. If you create an "epic" character you don't have to fill out 10 levels of regular character, just focus on the top tier normal stuff as a foundation. Nobody cares how many 1st level spell slots you have.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
It will if enough people ask for it.
If anything I'd expect short rests to go away, the term is almost as radioactive as at will/daily/encounter/universal powers to a lot of folks & wotc seems to be making changes to correct the mess it makes. We might see a "quick break" activity that allows spending hit dice to accomplish limited things like spending hit dice but "5 minute short rests" is probably unlikely

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If anything I'd expect short rests to go away, the term is almost as radioactive as at will/daily/encounter/universal powers to a lot of folks & wotc seems to be making changes to correct the mess it makes. We might see a "quick break" activity that allows spending hit dice to accomplish limited things like spending hit dice but "5 minute short rests" is probably unlikely
Again, short rests are definitely in and definitely still take an hour, as evidenced by the changes to long rests in the playtest.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, in retrospect, the pro bonus is great for big effects but a nightmare to track for trivial things.
I think prof times between long rests is probably going to remain the primary model for limited-use “spell-like abilities.” But clearly short tests aren’t going away completely, or having their duration changed. I think they’ll mostly just be for spending hit dice, but there may yet be a few things that care about short rests. If nothing else I bet the bard’s Song of Rest stays the same, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they still regain Bardic Inspiration uses on a short rest. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that warlocks spell slots stay short rest recovery too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads