• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What do you want to see excised?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Take out the things that mostly don't matter, or beef those things up so there's a purpose to writing it on your character sheet.
For example, spell components. They're usually handwaved, unless the DM goes to great lengths to say "You can't cast spells right now". Either reduce them entirely to fluff or have class features or magic items or something that changes based on what components a spell has.
I agree that eyes of newt should probably go away and all casters should require a focus instead. In theory I like the 3 categories of components but it rarely actually comes up. Just say, "To cast a spell a character must be able to speak loudly, move freely and be holding their spellcasting focus."

Amrûnril

Adventurer
I agree, except make it 11-20. Just compress the "playable" levels into 10 and lengthen the time it takes to ding and, finally, make spell levels the same as character and class levels.
This would make for a less granular system, but I'm not sure that's what most of the people who aren't interested in high levels actually want. Some, at least, want want to avoid high levels specifically because they aren't interested in playing at the power level implied by high tier spells. Personally, I'd be thrilled if the system was set up to give us 20 levels worth of customization with only 10ish levels worth of power growth.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Bonus action, but that would make backward compatibility a problem. I'd rather just have something like Pathfinder's 3-action economy.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Yeah, casting component are cumbersome for no real gain. Just have them use a focus + a tell (thematic fluff that makes your spellcasting noticeable) for all casters but the sorcerer (who just have their tell).

Rework Darkvision. The fact that Dim light is only a penalty to a single skill instead of a whole sense is pretty weird: ''my sight is impacted by the lack of light, but I can still shoot a foe from 180 feet away and investigate the inner working of a trap without any problem!''.

Horwath

Legend
1. small races. Either give them penalties that goes with being a toddler in strength with adult IQ or remove them of PC options.
2. HDs. replace them with fixed healing as 4E healing surges
3. Reduce 6 saves to 3. use two abilities per save(str+con, dex+int, wis+cha). every class gets one save proficiency at start.
4. Medium armor
5. capstones at 20th level, all major abilities should be "Online" by 11th level. form that, just better versions and/or more usages.
6. short rest abilities, either make short rest 1-5 min long or remove them. Add then action to spend HDs/healing surges.

Horwath

Legend
Bonus action, but that would make backward compatibility a problem. I'd rather just have something like Pathfinder's 3-action economy.
hmm,

I would go for 6 action turn, for 6 seconds of duration.
Much more granular.

Then you can have normal attack as 2 or 3 action points, and TWF as 3 or 4 action points.

haste spell can then be scaled across levels to gain 1, 2 or 3 action points.

spells can be from 1(current bonus action) to 4pts(normal spell) to 6 for really big spells.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
What should 1D&D remove, so long as they are spiffing up the place?

I vote short rests. I hate them. I hate the way PCs want to take one after every encounter because they overspent their resources or tooka couple hits. Just give players a post battle tape up of their wounds and move on.
This is the intended use of short rests. I mean, they should be roughly after every other combat, but yeah. They’re intended as a post-battle top-off.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
This is the intended use of short rests. I mean, they should be roughly after every other combat, but yeah. They’re intended as a post-battle top-off.
Except half of the classes get the equivalent of a long rest at the short rest. That in itself is enough reason eliminate it.

Remove ads