D&D 5E What do you want to see in Monster Manual Expanded IV?

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
<------ Cilops in or out of Dark Sun always gave me the shivers. DS had some other great monsters that waited under the sand or hung in the air and let their tentacles paralyze. The Gaj, Jhakhar, Kank, Kestrekel, Mekillot, Silk Wyrm, Silt Horror and Silt Runner are a few more from that setting. But definately the Cilops for me!
There's a lot I want to get from Dark Sun-specific bestiary, even Dragonlance's. Unfortunately, DM's Guild licensing doesn't yet allow creators to use settings outside of Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Eberron, Ravnica, and Theros.

thundershot

Adventurer
Elaborating on the ones from AC9…

The crazy wild ones in the “Conjurations” section would be cool to see updated with more conventional usage (not indestructible like a couple). Desert Ghost, Fundamental, Magen, Reflecter (who were uber), Faedornae, Silver Warriors, Soul Eater, Winged Warrior. Also things like the Hivebrood (I had a whole series of adventures back in the day where they were taking over the world), Oard, Sollux, and others…. I’m intentionally leaving out the traditional Mystara races (Rakasta, Lupin, Tortle, Aranea) since I’m sure they’ll be done officially someday.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
There's a lot I want to get from Dark Sun-specific bestiary, even Dragonlance's. Unfortunately, DM's Guild licensing doesn't yet allow creators to use settings outside of Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Eberron, Ravnica, and Theros.
Oh, shame. Thanks for the education. Every day's a school day!

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Elaborating on the ones from AC9…

The crazy wild ones in the “Conjurations” section would be cool to see updated with more conventional usage (not indestructible like a couple). Desert Ghost, Fundamental, Magen, Reflecter (who were uber), Faedornae, Silver Warriors, Soul Eater, Winged Warrior. Also things like the Hivebrood (I had a whole series of adventures back in the day where they were taking over the world), Oard, Sollux, and others…. I’m intentionally leaving out the traditional Mystara races (Rakasta, Lupin, Tortle, Aranea) since I’m sure they’ll be done officially someday.
Tortle has been done and is official. I’ve done the aranea (MME2).

Rhuarc

Explorer
As official publications often focus on populating the first three tiers with new monsters, I'll echo what was said earlier: The more high-CR monsters, the better :)

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
As official publications often focus on populating the first three tiers with new monsters, I'll echo what was said earlier: The more high-CR monsters, the better :)
What I'm pondering/planning right now are making legendary and mythic versions of the classic D&D monsters (i.e. owlbear, manticore, minotaur, carrion crawler, peryton, displacer beast, etc.). These unique creatures would have the usual lair, legendary, and mythic actions. Legendary versions would be 3-4 higher CR while mythic versions would have +6-8 higher CR.

What I'm pondering/planning right now are making legendary and mythic versions of the classic D&D monsters (i.e. owlbear, manticore, minotaur, carrion crawler, peryton, displacer beast, etc.). These unique creatures would have the usual lair, legendary, and mythic actions. Legendary versions would be 3-4 higher CR while mythic versions would have +6-8 higher CR.
Ah, so the mythic creature would be The Owlbear, etc. The archetype and perhaps progenitor of the species...

I do want to see a mythic tarrasque...

Weiley31

Legend
The Ragewalker fey and the Stonesinger(the monster not the Prestige Class)/ a.k.a. the Tralusk from the Monster Manual III of 3rd Edition.

(Article/Pic found in the first monster topic in thread of link.)

One is a a category of War-Torn Fey that literally have the ability to command Living Spells, make everybody go crazy, and has a cloud of weapons swarming around their bodies to protect themselves from Projectile attacks. Their ultimate goal is to "end war" by killing all parties involved. The other is a race of Aberrations that like to sing and likes to have a "captive" audience for their performances sometimes. Sometimes sparing said audience until they grow bored of their "company" or desire a whole new audience. Also they trap victims in stone cocoons basically.

Ah, so the mythic creature would be The Owlbear, etc. The archetype and perhaps progenitor of the species...

I do want to see a mythic tarrasque...
I was thinking that 3.x had something like this, and looking through the books, this will be basically the Monster of Legend template from the 3e MMII, but probably more powerful. Actually, the legendary versions could be "Monsters of Legend", while you could call the mythic versions "Monsters of Myth".

Remove ads