D&D (2024) What does Backward compatibility mean to you?

What does Backward compatibility mean most to you as a player?

• I can use content from 5e and 1DnD in the same PC

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • A PC built with 5e PHB and a PC built with 1DnD rules can play together

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • 5e material can be easily migrated to 1DnD with minimal work

Votes: 47 40.9%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.8%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I dont think the 5.5 Players Handbook will mention the 5.0 half-elf.

But I do think, one can build a 5.0 half-elf and with minimal adjustments like a free feat, play alongside the 5.5 human-elf.
I will note that the text un the sidebar (and I will note that in the past, UA is often verbatim what gets printed I'm the end) mentions Tasha's and Monsters of the Multiverse as the options one might want (which is suggestive of what they plan to keep selling in 2024 fowards), but the rule allows any 2014 PHB compatible Rave option to be used with the new Backgrounds with no fuss.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It doesn't make sense that it would: they want people to use D&D Bryond more and more, and they don't want anyone to nit be able to use their material.

That's the real test of backwards compatibility: will Beyond allow painless mixing of material?
It didn't painlessly mix Volo's and Mordenkainen's with MMotM, so I don't see that it would with the 6e core. I'm sure you will still be able to access the 5e core if you do now, but you'll have to do the work updating and modifying yourself.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It didn't painlessly mix Volo's and Mordenkainen's with MMotM, so I don't see that it would with the 6e core. I'm sure you will still be able to access the 5e core if you do now, but you'll have to do the work updating and modifying yourself.
People who purchased Volo's and Mordenkainen's still have access to those stat blocks, which is entirely my point.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I will note that the text un the sidebar (and I will note that in the past, UA is often verbatim what gets printed I'm the end) mentions Tasha's and Monsters of the Multiverse as the options one might want (which is suggestive of what they plan to keep selling in 2024 fowards)forwards, but the rule allows anyn20q4 PHB compatible Rave option to be used with the new Backgrounds with no fuss.
I have no doubt that Tasha's and MMotM were the supplements they had in mind for their backwards compatible explanation. Other books may require a bit more work.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I dont think the 5.5 Players Handbook will mention the 5.0 half-elf.

But I do think, one can build a 5.0 half-elf and with minimal adjustments like a free feat, play alongside the 5.5 human-elf.
We'll see. I've been burned by WotC on promises not being kept too often for me to trust that it will end up that way. If it does, I will be pleasantly suprised.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I see the design commitment is that DMs can use supplements − like Xanathars and Tashas − with the 5.5 core books.

At the same time, these also work with the 5.0 core books.

Presumably, 5.0 and 5.5 can both work at the same table, even if it requires 5.0 getting a free feat or 5.5 using 5.0 backgrounds instead.
I think that the degree to which 5.0 core material works with 5.5 will depend to a degree on how fussy a table is on intra party balance.

Remathilis

Legend
While I don't expect there will be a fully detailed compatibility list, this is what I suspect.

PHB/DMG/MM: Will be replaced by the 1D&D refresh
SCAG: Will be replaced shortly. At this point, there is a half-dozen subclasses and one subrace (ghostwise) that hasn't seen updating. The few options that haven't been redone (Long death monk, arcana domain, battlerager, and oath of the crown) could all be added to a Faerun book or even be part of a compilation book (like Many Things?)
Volos and Tome of Foes: Already replaced.
Xanathar: I wager this book will see some of its popular options reprinted eventually with updates ala MotM did for the above. I think it will give them a chance to clean up a few, remove some (goodbye samurai and knight) and upgrade the ones which need it (such as giving sorcerer bonus spells). They will also do some work on the racial feats I wager.
Tasha's: We're going to get an errata document giving the feats levels and maybe some minor things.
MotM: This is already a 1D&D books masquerading as a 5e book.
Ravnica, Theros: I wouldn't be surprised if a new MTG book comes out that touches on the broader setting and allows them to grab-bag updates and new material without a singular focus on one plane. A Planeswalker's Guide or somesuch. That way, they can update the Guilds of Ravnica to having proper background feats and update the few MTG exclusive races to the new standard. I don't expect it will be a high-priority item though.
Eberron: They are going to need a new pass at warforged (compared to autognome and glitchling), kalashtar, and most importantly the dragonmarked houses. My guess is we will see an Eberron module with a small compendium in the back to provide updated rules for these options.
Spelljammer: No changes beyond the new errata.
Ravenloft: No major changes, beyond errata and probably adding back alignments to monster stat blocks.
Dragonlance: No changes. Designed with 1D&D in mind.
Acquisitions Incorporated: Probably not getting a reprint, redo, or update. A handful of PC options will need to be done by DMs who are interested in doing it.
Wildmonte: I don't think this book needs much errata. I guess a few subraces might need updates, but I wager everything else is good unless they want to tone down dunamancy subclasses. That said, I can't see an avenue for them to do it, so maybe Mercer does it himself 3pp at some point.
Adventures and APs: The modules themselves work 90% of the time, with the older modules needing a touch more work than the newer due to monster statblock design changes. The ones produced before 2019 might need a few touch ups, but they seem the kind of work a DM who understands the game can do. As to supplmemental rules included in various modules:
EE: Genasi and elemental magic have already seen reprints.
Cos: The single background was redone for VGR anyway, and since backgrounds are designed ala-carte anyway, I don't think they will care to update any book solely on old background design. That is true of other modules (ToA, GoS, BG:DIA) which primarily introduced a background or background modification as the main PC facing rules update. WotC will probably look at Haunted One, Anthropologist, Fisher, or Faceless and say "design a background using the 1D&D rules that best emulates what you want from old background, and then pick a feat".
SKT: The rune rules are getting revised in the new Giants book anyway.
WBTW: The fairy and haregon already were reprinted, and see CoS above on backgrounds
Essentials Kit: I fully expect a new version of this after 1D&D releases to replace the current one. I wouldn't be surprised if a new Starter is out as well, as the 2022 one is firmly rooted in the 2014 races and classes.

Remove ads