• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What element would "radiation" be?

Emirikol

Adventurer
What element would "radiation" be in D&D? Fire?

For example, radiation from xrays, gamma rays, etc. or "plutonium."

jh

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I've always equated radiation with the 'Vile' damage type. And I gave yugoloths immunity to it and other fiends a resistance. May vary with your campaign.

Korgoth

First Post
Emirikol said:
What element would "radiation" be in D&D? Fire?

For example, radiation from xrays, gamma rays, etc. or "plutonium."

jh

I don't think it would map exactly onto our current concept of radiation.

Radiation from earthy substances would be an effect of the element Earth. Radiation from fiery bodies would be of the element Fire, etc. It would depend on the element of the originating body, in other words.

Funny the things you wonder about in the 21st century, isn't it?

Ambrus

Explorer
In a metaphysical sense, radiation usually propagates invisibly through air but can burn like fire so philosophers (assuming they are aware of it) would likely considered it a combination of air and fire; a "burning wind" of sorts. Since only it's effects are easily observable, in the form of radiation burns and poisoning, primitive folk would likely consider it to be some form of sickness caused by tainted air (much like malaria).

From a mechanical standpoint, the damage radiation causes could most easily be equated with fire damage, though I suppose a case could be made that it is as similar to electricity damage as it is to fire.

Not sure if this helps answer your question. :\

ssampier

First Post
Air and Fire sounds just right. I love the flavor behind it. However, I can only imagine the smart-ass player that says, "burning wind, that sounds like a bad burrito night!" :\

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads