Level Up (A5E) [+] What features should a "Advanced 5E" have?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Preferences:

• metric system (or both systems) like with the Cypher system
  • Abstract ranges (self->touch->near->distant->afar)
  • Use the random die roll to determine the number of target hit in an AoE, like in the 13th age.
EX:
Fireball
Evocation spell
V,S,M
1 Action

Deal 6d8 fire damage to 1d4+1 near targets within a distant range unless they make a Dex save for half damage. You can add 2 more targets but all allies within touch range of the targets must also make the save.

Weiley31

Legend
In Adventures in Middle Earth, the Weapon Master Warrior Subclass has a feature where your Fighting Styles can be upgraded into somewhat of a more potent version of the style. For example, Protection allows you to do a Shield Bash once it's "upgraded" and Dueling allows you to add that +2 to damage to +2 to hit should you choose.

Perhaps Fighting Styles can be upgraded via Downtime, Classes, or even Folk Familiarity.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I'd like to see 5e's version of Prestige classes, which I think is further development of the Factions concept from Adventurer's League. Make those five levels of reputation provide more benefit that currently, and develop the system to further explain how you can gain reputation and the obligations that come with it.
I'd like to see some of the stuff Matt Collville has been doing with the game, incorporated into it in a more formal way. Retainers, Followers, building your own Stronghold and Guild, etc..
I'd like to see a good full tactical combat optional ad-on, with some more melee oriented classes like the Warlord.
I'd like to see an optional Zero-level pre-hero rules.
I'd like to see more weapon rules, and more weapons. Lets see all those old polearms, and more differentiating between the weapons, with more than just damage dice they can do. Some more armor options might be nice as well.
I'd like to see an expansion of the exploration and social tier, with more rules for both.
I'd like to see some Epic level rules, with rules on becoming a demi-god.
Pretty much covered everything I'd want with this, particularly the bolded bits.

This is an opportunity to show that D&D still has its tactical-combat teeth, that martial/caster balance is not a horrible awful bad thing but actually a really good and fun thing, and support a wider variety of experiences with a one-stop-shopping kind of place.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
I would like for each classes to have a wide variety of flavor options
  • clerics who are clothies
  • barbarians who cast spells while raging
  • gish options for spellcasters
  • bards who actually represent non-spellcaster tricksters like Merry, Pippin, Link, and Jaskier.
  • viable elemental-specialized caster options starting from level 1

I would like to see mechanics for exploration etc. that speed the process, clarify your options, and go to form a good story

I would like for there to be classic monsters and all-new monsters. Also, bring back Templates!

I would like for building encounters (including adding traps etc.) to be as easy to use as in 4e

If a monster can be it or use it (vampirism, creating golems) then it should be an option for the players.

In other words,

"Wisdom" is two separate abilities:
• Perception → Intelligence (very Aristotelian!)
• Willpower → Charisma (social, Stoic)

To Aristotle, Perception and willpower were inherently connected. One gain willpower (courage and temperance) by understand the true nature of the world and himself. By perceiving what was truly good or bad (temperance), achievable and unachievable (courage), one gained the mental fortitude necessary for correct action.

If I could combine the two mental ability scores (in a very un-Aristotelian way), I would choose:

Intelligence (add Perception)
Willpower (add social skills)

GreyLord

Legend
I'd like to see something along the lines of what WotC announced initially, one which adds options for ALL editions of the game...which would mean...options...options...options with customization with ideas from every edition of the game...examples would be...

1. From BX - AD&D to 3e/3.5 options ....Different proficiency bonuses for different classes.

What I mean by this...Martials advanced differently than Rogues, Divines, and Wizards in hitting with weapons. Where a Wizard may get +2 to +6 over their levels, that's only 1/2 advancement. Rogues would advance from +2 to +9 and Martials would advance from +2 to +12 in hitting ability.

This could vary greater than this...but that would likely throw the entire system out of balance with 5e monsters unless other options were included. The above uses the old 3e/3.5/PF form of combat advancement where Martials got full advancement, Rogues and Divine got 3/4 advancement, and Arcane casters got 1/2 advancement.

In addition, this could also apply to skills. Have it where skills actually have skill point allocations again, however the number of points would differ (once again, similar to 3e/3.5 editions...). This would mean that Rogues may get 6 skill points per level...while Martials get 2 and everyone else gets 3. This keeps the number of skill points low (in accordance with how few skills are distributed or given in 5e), but has them allocate different amounts. To replicate expertise, Rogues could allocate more than one skill point to a skill per level.

2. From 2e More options for a more Vancian casting system. While 5e is vancian, it's not quite the same as older systems. Include the options for lower number of starting spells at lower levels (such as like pre3e with 1 spell at 1st level) ...and higher number of spells at higher levels.

3. Introduce an option to utilize something like THAC0 (admittedly, could be too much work as you would have to reverse engineer all the AC and To Hit bonuses from Proficiency bonuses).

4. From 3e to 3.5 and PF, include ways for people to get Prestige Classes.

5. From 3.5...include a way that monsters can be created similar to PC's. They can have classes added to their monster levels.

6. From 4e...include a powers system (daily, encounter, utility, at-will). With this include tactical options with each power. Have this applied to Wizards, Fighters, Rogues...etc. Each class...similar to 4e. Thus, it uses the 5e system of combat and saves, but with tactical powers and such...(Admittedly, I'm already working on this system, with a simplified form of it so that powers scale with levels instead of selecting new ones each level...but that's my own work rather than what you guys are doing. Also...this is a LOT of work).

7. From AD&D...Include classic classes such as the Cavalier, the Acrobat, and the Assassin as base classes rather than Archetypes.

8. From AD&D...include a classic saves system (5 saves) which have static bonuses which decrease (makes it easier to roll over as you gain higher levels).

9. From 3e, 3.5, and modified in 4e...include a simplified save system which only has 3 saves (Fortitude, Reflex, and Will). One could even use the Proficiency bonus for this as it reflects similar numbers to 3e for some of the weaker saves (+1-+6).

10. From 4e or 3e...include a Psionics system which reflects a lot of similarities to how magic works, but is different...many seem to want Psionics. Also include the Warlord Class.

Edit - After reading other thoughts, one more to add...
From AD&D - Include stronghold rules and follower rules. In otherwords...Name Level. Give rules for building a stronghold and people flocking to you as followers. Perhaps even include a battlesystem.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If you wanted to muck about with levels of success, it is possible to replicate something very much like the standard PbtA spread on a d20 roll, you just need to hammer at the mods a little and do something for expertise other than double prof mod. I probably wouldn't brand this on the side of the sacred cow of combat, but it might be a useful dongle for some kind of social interaction/exploration system. 5E could do nicely with some success at a cost in both areas, IMO anyway.
What if Ability checks only add your ability mod, and your roll larger dice if proficient or dbl proficient? So, 2d6+mod by default, 2d8+mod if proficient, 2d10+mod if dbl prof?

Could also increase the dice pool but you always use 2 dice for the result, so proficient is 3d8, then 4d8, taking the highest 2 dice?

Remove ads