Level Up (A5E) [+] What features should a "Advanced 5E" have?

G

Guest 6801328

I haven't read all 20 pages so somebody may have suggested this, but I'd love to see something like prestige classes, but that let you mix things like vampirism, lycanthropy, ghost(ism?), or psionics into any class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Undrave

Legend
I haven't read all 20 pages so somebody may have suggested this, but I'd love to see something like prestige classes, but that let you mix things like vampirism, lycanthropy, ghost(ism?), or psionics into any class.

Basically mini-classes? Like, you need to be level X or more and then you can 'multi class' into it for a couple of levels? That's how I'd do that.

G

Guest 6801328

Basically mini-classes? Like, you need to be level X or more and then you can 'multi class' into it for a couple of levels? That's how I'd do that.

Yeah, maybe other requirements (including DM permission, or some conditions that have to be met), and then it basically works like multiclassing: each level you can choose which class you want to level up in.

Or maybe each level of the mini-class has increasing prerequisites. So at level 6 you can add one level of vampire, but you need character level 10 and Cha X before adding the next level of vampire. Or whatever.

Stalker0

Legend
I know both Morrus and others have expressed interest in going above 20 levels, but the game can't fill more than maybe 12 levels as it is.

And just about every stab at adding epic or immortal levels I have seen come across as... uninspired and sparse, to put it plainly.

Why not instead take all your great ideas for level 21-30 abilities and insert them in the existing 15-20 level range?

The first question that needs to be asked, is:

What is gained by adding another ten sparse levels to the ~5 already there?

With threads about the lack of vision for fighters (and so forth) the obvious solution to me is to cram the existing high levels full of goodies so that leveling up your Barbarian or Rogue from 16 to 17 feels just as empowering as when you leveled up from, say, 3 to 4.

i have to agree, until the high levels are chalk full of interesting abilities, monsters, adventure guides...and we have some data that says more than a small percentage of tables actually play them...please don’t waste the effort going even higher.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
i have to agree, until the high levels are chalk full of interesting abilities, monsters, adventure guides...and we have some data that says more than a small percentage of tables actually play them...please don’t waste the effort going even higher.
I've seen one based on 5e retooling that has 5 levels & then you start accumulating "feats" or multiclassing (stargate). It got some discussion over here a while back. I too would much rather a handful of levels people actually play packed with cool stuff & some basic structure to keep going from.

CapnZapp

Legend
Thank you. Yes, exactly.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Letting the Ranger, Barbarian, and Paladin have the same number of attacks as the Fighter...
In many ways I sympathise with this point, but really I believe it is the wrong direction and would remove some of the distinction between the classes.

It's about design space. You want there to both many attacks leading to good damage, and few attacks leading to good damage, options. It gives more interest to the play. Barbarian, Paladin and Fighter are fine. The worst criticism is that some of their choices might be overly mandated (from a mechanical effectiveness point of view).

Ranger isn't quite as bad as he looks, and can be improved without adding attacks. In part, by better balancing some of the feats. However, due to Drizzt, there probably should be a ranger path that has the same number of attacks as fighter. Maybe more. In my campaigns I offer variants on four feats, to help monks, rogues and rangers.

Defensive Duelist
While proficiently using a Finesse or Versatile weapon with Medium, Light or no armour, when another creature hits you with a melee attack you can use your reaction to add your proficiency bonus to your AC for that attack, potentially causing it to miss you;
If it does, when you hit that creature with a melee weapon before the end of your next turn, you can reroll the damage dice and use either total.

This is good for low-attacks-count classes.

Dual Wielder
You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand;
You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one-handed melee weapons you are wielding aren't Light;
The two-weapon fighting attack you make with the melee weapon in your other hand, doesn’t require a bonus action;
You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.

This is very strong for classes who want to use their bonus action for other things, while dual wielding.

Sharpshooter
Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls;
Your ranged weapon attacks ignore half and three-quarters cover;
Before you make an attack with a Heavy ranged weapon you are proficient with, you can choose to take a −5 penalty to the attack roll: if the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack’s damage.

This prevents the combo with Crossbow Expert making the feat supportive of low-attacks-count classes, as it no longer rewards high-attacks-count ranged use.

Tavern Brawler
Increase your Strength or Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20;
You are proficient with improvised weapons;
You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with your unarmed strikes;
You can use a bonus action on your turn for a special melee attack to grapple a creature.

This gives monks a real alternative to kiting. They can deal relevant damage with their multiple strikes. Possibly the unconditional bonus action is too good - that needs more testing. In play it feels a bit like pre-nerf Shield Master, although being grappled doesn't yield advantage unless also taking another feat.

Remove ads