What game mechanics when introduced were absolutely hated?

Celebrim

Legend
Yes, as I was alluding, the introduction of cantrips in UA was hated by most people, and then gradually became an accepted part of the game.

Pretty much the definition of what the OP is looking for, n'est-ce pas?

I thought you were implying that cantrips themselves as a concept where hated, and I can't remember anyone who didn't think they were really cool, just not worth ever taking.

Celebrim

Legend
*I will continue to state that the only good thing to come from UA is the Pole Arm appendix T, but that is my opinion.

It's a defensible one in retrospect. Certainly in hindsight I'm a lot less happy with UA than I was at the time it came out. There are a ton of cool ideas there, but the implementation is often lacking, and there is a ton of power creep that pretty much broke the game as written.

In particular, I'm convinced weapon specialization did nothing good for the game, and of course the Cavalier was just a straight up better fighter and broke the Paladin.

I think that cantrips are a sound concept that was needed, but the implementation was lacking. I think there are a handful of spells in the extended spell list UA introduced that are worthwhile and have deservedly stuck around. I don't mind the non-human pantheons, but I could totally understand if someone felt there should be a single pantheon for all races. Expanded magic items were for the most part nice, and there is no more cheese in the expanded list than in the original.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I personally differentiate cantrips from at-will battle magic, 4e had that but it also had something else quite distinct which were actually called cantrips these were not very good at all in battle (though you might improvise things once in a while) they were highly versatile low impact simple magics that were great for flavor they could be very much seen as improvisational because of the versatility but they also had a few which were a once per encounter ability.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases