What game systems or stand alone games have you not played, but would like to try?

Aldarc

Legend
Games that I want to try:
  • Blades in the Dark: on my shelf
  • Dungeon World: on my shelf
  • Invisible Sun: on my shelf
  • Shadow of the Demon Lord: kinda waiting on the less edge lord version to eventually come out
  • Stars Without Number
  • Black Hack
  • Numenera 2: I have run Numenera 1, so maybe this doesn't count, but I have not had an opportunity to run the newest iteration, and I am curious how the new character types and slight modifications play.
  • Afterlife: a Kickstarter TTRPG that was announced around the same time that I was working on a similar idea of the PCs being dead in the afterlife and advancing through regaining their memories.

Yeah, they mention quite a bit in the book that things will likely end very badly for any individual PC, but the idea that they've created a legacy in their crew is what matters. The game is ultimately the story of the Crew.
Yeah, this is one reason why I have considered re-tooling BitD for several possible homebrew campaigns that I periodically brainstorm for,** but first I want to have actual experience running and playing BitD. My TTRPG group has basically dissolved so I need to rebuild it if I want to even play things on my list.

** The first campaign would be a Late Bronze Age-Early Iron Age fantasy inspired by Hallstatt Culture (i.e., proto-Celts) and Beyond the Wall that focuses on the survival of a village amidst rival tribes and a world of fantastical elements (e.g., fey, witches, monsters, spirits, etc.). The concept of the Crew gets replaced by the Village. So the characters can help decide how the Village gets upgraded, and expanding the village/tribe comes with its own risks with other neighboring villages and tribes. I would consider replacing Flashbacks (and the Devil's Bargain) with beseeching the spirits/gods for help.

The second campaign idea came out of the earlier campaign that I ran for Fate based in a fantastical pseudo-Renaissance Venetian setting. However, instead of a Crew, the players would pick a Family. They may be members of that noble family, servants, or mercenaries working for them, but they are looking to advance the interests of the family in not-Venice.

hawkeyefan

Legend
@Aldarc Both of those concepts should be suitable for Blades. The village may require some changes but the existing framework lends itself to the idea. The noble family in Not Venice would be even easier to do.

pemerton

Legend
Top of my list:

Wuthering Heights (I'm trying to talk some of my regular gang into a session or two of it)

Apocalypse World (I find it more intriguing than DW, which I've played a little bit of but never GMed)​

There's at least a chance of one or both of these by the end of this year.

Also on my list:

HeroQuest revised (mostly just to see how it plays - the original Hero Wars rulebook and this have been important for me in improving my GMing over the past 10 years, but I've never actually played either system)

Maelstrom Storytelling (same reason as above - I'm not sure if I'd use the default setting or not)

Dogs in the Vineyard, though I think I'd want to do it as paladins rather than Mormons

In A Wicked Age (I've done a one-shot, but would like to try a bit of ongoing play)​

I've also been thinking this evening about how I might use Cortex+ Heroic to do a LotR/Middle Earth oneshot.

Aldarc

Legend
@Aldarc Both of those concepts should be suitable for Blades. The village may require some changes but the existing framework lends itself to the idea. The noble family in Not Venice would be even easier to do.
I found that someone has done something similar to my first idea, albeit for Dungeon World: Stonetop. However, I would prefer something less baked in D&D (e.g., six attributes), and the framework of BitD seems more suitable to my tastes. I'm not the biggest fan of the Whisper in BitD and how it does magic, so I want to also look through other fantasy adaptations of BitD.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Which game system was that?

It is still Fate, but it differs slightly from the version that is the normal FATE-version now. That one was called FATE Core in their kickstarter, and then they also have Fate Accelerated for a light-version of it.

Here is a document from Evil Hat (the makers of FATE) which depicts the different versions of Fate.

Arilyn

Hero
It is still Fate, but it differs slightly from the version that is the normal FATE-version now. That one was called FATE Core in their kickstarter, and then they also have Fate Accelerated for a light-version of it.

Here is a document from Evil Hat which depicts the different versions of Fate.
Okay, we are talking about the same game. Thought I missed a Dresden Files game!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Here is a document from Evil Hat (the makers of FATE) which depicts the different versions of Fate.

Note that several games listed as "upcoming" on that chart are now out - Shadow of the Century, Tachyon Squadron, and Fate of Cthulhu are out there.

Remove ads