D&D General What happened to Sasquatch Game Studios?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
The only unfulfilled KS I’ve backed was welcome to tikor, which luckily I only did a placeholder pledge. It’s almost 3 years past “estimated fulfillment” and the creator has since been plausibly accused of harassment and abuse by another creator.

Dodged a bullet there.
2 of mine where homages to Super Metroid. One vanished and the other still posts a baer bones update on occasion. Been many many years since their kickstarter. Oh and another was the sequel to Shut up and Jam Gaiden (hilarious fan made RPG based on the old basketball video game). Also just vanished one day.

Edit: Apparently one of those Metroid likes comes out next month. After like 8 years

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I've backed 73 Kickstarter campaigns since 2013 (including the 5e Primeval Thule book from Sasquatch). Of the projects I've backed, a few are delayed - some by over a year. Welcome to Tikor is WAY overdue as others have mentioned, but aside from that one all the other outstanding projects look like they will eventually see the light of day.

But I like Kickstarter. I especially like projects like the Dying Earth box set from Goodman Games, which blew up to such an extent than instead of being one box set, it will be two - the campaign hit so many stretch goals they added a second box to hold it all. And that's where the value lies: buying all that stuff retail would cost just SO much more.

I'm sad that Sasquatch seems to have fallen apart. I actually reached out to them, years ago, to see if they were interested in some ideas I had for some Thule supplements. Rick Baker responded and was very gracious (though he declined my offer), and I had the chance to talk to him and Robert Schwab at a convention a few months later.

Nice folks, and great designers. I hope they're doing OK (and if they're reading this, my offer to put together some new Thule supplements is still on the table).

Last edited:

Here in Spain a company tried to publish the 25 Anniversary version of Hero Quest, years before the new edition by Avalon Hill, and they are still working in the project, but with a different name.

Could the IP to be acquired by other company?

Staffan

Legend
Here in Spain a company tried to publish the 25 Anniversary version of Hero Quest, years before the new edition by Avalon Hill, and they are still working in the project, but with a different name.

Could the IP to be acquired by other company?
Possibly, but why?

Remember that the old Alternity game including StarDrive and Dark Matter is still owned by Wizards of the Coast. What Sasquatch did was essentially what nuTSR are trying to do with Star Frontiers, except that they're actually competent game designers and (to my knowledge) not raging bigots. They wrote a new game that incorporated some elements of the old (because you can't copyright game mechanics) but not the setting elements (because you certainly can copyright Sesheyans), and used the name Alternity for it (because Wizards weren't using it anymore, and unlike Star Frontiers I don't think they've been selling PDFs of it).

And that was enough to get them 700 backers and $62k on Kickstarter. That's not exactly a resounding success. It's not nothing, but it's only a little more than EN Publishing got for ACE! – and not to knock ACE!, but Alternity strikes me as a significantly more ambitious product – ambitious enough that $62k clearly wasn't enough to fulfill their promised stretch goals.

The problem with Alternity is that it wants to be a setting-neutral science fiction game, much like D&D has sort of been a setting-neutral fantasy game. The issue with that is that it doesn't work. A fantasy game can get away with only the faintest hint of a setting, because there are so many built-in assumptions based on a modern-day distorted view of medieval Europe + Tolkien. I mean, most games don't settle there, but it's enough of a core standard that you can say "It's like regular fantasy, but Our Elves Are Different." But there's no similar standard for science fiction. Some people hear "sci-fi" and think Star Wars. Others think Star Trek. Or Foundation. Or Dune. Or Shadowrun (which brings us back to elves). Or John Carter of Mars.

So you need to make Choices when designing the game. Does it have space travel or is it planetbound? If it does, how easy is it? Is there FTL, and if so how does it work? What alien species are there? What sort of weaponry exists? Are there psychic powers or other magic, and if so how do they work? And by the time you've answered all those questions, you've basically built a setting already, minus the "geography" (astrography?) bits, which means your game isn't as "setting-neutral" as you wanted. At that point you might as well fill in those parts too and add some actual color to your game. Or you could go full generic and make what is essentially a game construction kit rather than an actual game, one where all those calls are up to the GM, which of course means a lot more work on their part (see: GURPS).

Anyhow, it all boils down to: why track down and buy the rights to a game that was a knock-off of another game from 20 years ago, and which wasn't particularly successful in either iteration, when you could make your own game instead and get it the way you want it instead of risk cheesing off and getting badwill from those few people who still remember the other game?

Yora

Legend
The problem with Alternity is that it wants to be a setting-neutral science fiction game, much like D&D has sort of been a setting-neutral fantasy game. The issue with that is that it doesn't work. A fantasy game can get away with only the faintest hint of a setting, because there are so many built-in assumptions based on a modern-day distorted view of medieval Europe + Tolkien. I mean, most games don't settle there, but it's enough of a core standard that you can say "It's like regular fantasy, but Our Elves Are Different." But there's no similar standard for science fiction. Some people hear "sci-fi" and think Star Wars. Others think Star Trek. Or Foundation. Or Dune. Or Shadowrun (which brings us back to elves). Or John Carter of Mars.
So generic fantasy games are not actually generic.

There's been an old saying that "D&D is only good for playing D&D". I think most generic fantasy RPGs are really just D&D style fantasy games.

There's been an old saying that "D&D is only good for playing D&D". I think most generic fantasy RPGs are really just D&D style fantasy games.

Yeah, the gaming community has been indoctrinated into the idea of "generic fantasy" in a way that it hasn't been for "generic sci-fi".

Staffan

Legend

D&D is a big part of it, but definitely not exclusive. Ahistorical as it is, D&D at least points toward a semi-historical Europe which serves as the core of "generic Fantasy". We know what a sword is, what a horse is, and what mail is. But what sort of weapons do they use in the future? Laser swords? Blasters? Radium pistols? How do they get around? Are single-person spaceships a common thing, or are all useful spaceships gigantic lumbering behemoths?

The sci-fi fiction suffers a serious handicap and it is this gets old very poor. The new generations miss technologies are real now, but in the old titles these don't appear, for example the mobiles and laptops, but also new elements from the speculative fiction as the mind-upload and digital inmortality.

I guess the commercial sci-fi in the entertaiment industry will evolution until the space fantasy, where psionic powers replaces the classic wizards and other spellcasters, and with a retro or vintage visual look, for example a style of 80's Saturday morning cartoons.

jgsugden

Legend
That's called fraud, and is illegal.
It is. However, there is little that stops someone from setting up an LLC, designing a campaign that will gather funding with a long fulfillment window, pay salaries, find extra unexpected costs, discover unexpected challenges in development, see the timeline extended, pay more salaries, etc... until the project becomes impossible to complete. And when those types of problems arise, it can be difficult to prove the difference between bad luck, bad management, and fraud.

Remove ads