What Hill Will You Die On?

RivetGeekWil

Lead developer Tribes in the Dark
The hill I'll die on is that immersion is not a universal end goal, or even always a reliable or achievable "state", for roleplaying games. I think it's general importance is overblown and as a result, it gets focused on way too much. Personally I blame this largely on Usenet (rec.games.frp.advocacy in particular), which is where I encountered it being used as a metric for "good games", but I'm sure it's been around longer than that.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
The hill I'll die on is that immersion is not a universal end goal, or even always a reliable or achievable "state", for roleplaying games. I think it's general importance is overblown and as a result, it gets focused on way too much. Personally I blame this largely on Usenet (rec.games.frp.advocacy in particular), which is where I encountered it being used as a metric for "good games", but I'm sure it's been around longer than that.

I like to play hybrid cross-genre games that focus on the engagement of the players in the game.

I call my method of playing ... the immersion blender.

Here through Friday, and then on to the Poconos!

RivetGeekWil

Lead developer Tribes in the Dark
I like to play hybrid cross-genre games that focus on the engagement of the players in the game.

I call my method of playing ... the immersion blender.

Here through Friday, and then on to the Poconos!
I like to refer to other players' immersion or lack thereof as, "Not my circus, not my monkeys".

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
If your love of an inanimate thing leads to loss of perspective and treating living beings poorly, the grossness isn't in the "elfgames angle".

Love it as you will - it is a hobby entertainment, and fandom can only go so far in excusing problematic behavior towards real, living people.

What we do when we gather with friends around a table and play a game together is difficult to characterize as an "inanimate thing" — but it's also beside the point.

The point is: "It's just elfgames, bro" is emphatically not the same thing as "remember the person" or "don't tolerate bad behavior"; a ≠ b ≠ c. You can exhort people to be courteous and compassionate and even to have perspective without belittling them their passions.

Last edited:

G

Guest 7042500

It's just a silly elfgame.

For that matter, miniatures wargaming is playing toy soldiers. And my British frigate is commanded by Sir John Paul Georgeringo.

And I am an award winning model railroader, and have no trouble calling my hobby playing trains.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

For that matter, miniatures wargaming is playing toy soldiers. And my British frigate is commanded by Sir John Paul Georgeringo.

And I am an award winning model railroader, and have no trouble calling my hobby playing trains.
So you decided to follow up a post that criticized calling it a 'silly elfgame' by doubling down on it? That's certainly a choice in behavior directed toward real, living people.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

I mean, I resent the comment because I know that Elves are soulless, dead-eyed automatons and that BigElf is the one pushing the "ElfGame" narrative, probably because they want to increase the number of different Elf subtypes from (checks the list) 5,345 to 5,346.

G

Guest 7042500

So you decided to follow up a post that criticized calling it a 'silly elfgame' by doubling down on it? That's certainly a choice in behavior directed toward real, living people.

Why yes, it is. I would say the same face to face, absolutely.

90% of the problems with ANY of those hobbies I mentioned come from taking it too damn seriously.

I am, literally, an award winning builder of railroad models. I edit an online model railroad magazine.

I'm playing trains. I'm absolutely a grown man playing with toy trains.

nevin

Hero
What we do when we gather with friends around a table and play a game together is difficult to characterize as an "inanimate thing" — but it's also beside the point.

The point is: "It's just elfgames, bro" is emphatically not the same thing as "remember the person" or "don't tolerate bad behavior"; a ≠ b ≠ c. You can exhort people to be courteous and compassionate and even to have perspective without belittling them their passions.
I agree with your statement wholeheartedly. I also believe the worst gamers in the world are those that take their game too seriously and lose thier minds when people don't take it as seriously as they do. he could have said it better but His main concept of inflating a hobby with your own self importance has a solid core of truth to it. Quickest way to get me off your table is to start talking about how seriously you take your game. I have enough serious issues in life to deal with I don't need someone trying to get me to turn my hobbies into jobs.

Remove ads