D&D 5E What houserules do we assume is common in the community?

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I would also like to ask:

How would you, as a DM, feel if a player was upset that you weren't using a certain common houserule?

And how would you feel as a player if a DM doesn't use a houserule that you were used to?

How would you, as a DM, feel if a player was upset that you weren't using a certain common houserule?

And how would you feel as a player if a DM doesn't use a houserule that you were used to?
Depends on the rule, really.

Potion as bonus action: without this, potions are a lot less useful, so as a dm I'll drop fewer and as a player I won't seek them out. I usually play with this, I think it makes the game better.

Surprise rounds: actual ambushes aren't really common enough for me to care all that much how the dm handles it. If the players understand RAW I'll run it that way, if they don't a surprise round is easier to explain.

I usually enforce line of effect as a dm because it makes more sense then purely visual limits and wouldn't try to game it as a player unless the situation were desperate. I'd only care on a case-by-case basis.

Auto success/failure: it really only impacts saving throws, and it's common enough that I can go either way. I do always specifically ask about this one as a player. It only affects certain very specific builds in term of how I play the game. (Attacks already work this way, skills sort-of de facto do in that dms seem to rarely call for rolls you can't pass unless it's a group check.)

Everyone speaks common: because the alternative is clunky.

Flanking: I don't like it. It makes a lot of subclass-defining features redundant with "just moving." If it's in play I'll still play, but I'll play different characters. As a dm it's a no.

None.
I think the most common ones are ammo and encumbrance (edit: and somatic). But I don't think anyone should ever assume those house rules are in place at a given table.

If a player was upset about a houserule? Then I failed at my session 0. If I hadn't failed, then I would think that the player was being an immature and entitled and would not have a problem if they left the table. And might even ask them to if needed.

I wouldn't be upset. Having fun, for me, is not about pretty much any houserule. I'm just not that ... specific anymore. Maturity and all that, or so I would like to think.

There are SO many. And most go beyond houserules and into how the game is played. They are so common in so many games that most players think they are the "only" way to play.

MY game play style is a HUGE shock to the average gamer that thinks the "One Way". For example:

1.No Character death. This "houserule" says no PC will ever die.
2.No Character hardships. This is anything that might even slightly effect the character....a curse, a wound, a spell or what ever.
3.No Traps. They don't exist.
4.Infinite Normal Equipment. Your character can just have whatever whenever whatever.
5.The GM is a fan of the Characters. And alters game reality for them....

Would not care at all. This is very common for me. It is SO common for a player to whine "But My DM did X!" and I will shrug and not care.
Accept it and move on.

Remove ads