• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What (if anything) do you find "wrong" with 5E?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
If they nova, absolutely. If the group knows that it needs to conserve resources for the 6-8 encounters, though, you won't see them consistently hit that much higher than their level.
Oh well yeah, I mean, if you've played SKT, you know there's a lot of "travel for awhile, then face one epic encounter" involved.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
But that means that one good night's sleep doesn't provide the same benefit as another otherwise identical night's sleep that happens before your long rest timer "recharges" That's a bridge too far for me.
D&D is made out of narrativium. There's a reason Discworld is found in Appendix E of the PHB as "suggested reading".

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Oh well yeah, I mean, if you've played SKT, you know there's a lot of "travel for awhile, then face one epic encounter" involved.
I haven't. I dislike campaign paths and create my own campaigns. What I will do, though, is sprinkle in short adventures from say Candle Keep Mysteries, Tales of the Yawning Portal, etc.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I just can't agree with that. Sleep is an encounter ender in the early levels, hypnotic pattern is an encounter ender at 5th to mid levels to....well any level. Wall of force can be an encounter ender at higher levels.

Spells like banishment or polymorph are encounter enders for single monsters.

Control remains plenty strong in 5e, its just condensed into fewer spells. But those spells absolutely get the job done.
But the saves are easier to make, and at higher levels when legendary resistance becomes much more common for single monsters...

Those spells can end encounters, but often they're just wasted rounds for the spellcaster.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads