• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What (if anything) do you find "wrong" with 5E?

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Paladium's been in its "death throes" for at least 20 years now. If it is finally giving up the ghost, I suspect it has more to do with Kevin Siembieda's age than any lack of evolution.

_
glass.
Not really.
DnD has gone through 2-3 different editions in 20 years, Palladium has only done Heroes Unlimited 2e, and Fantasy 2e (1e was actually better). No new editions have been done since the very beginning.

There have been threads done on the PB boards, that there needs to be another edition. I suspect though, that Savage Worlds will at some point do Palladium Fantasy at some point soon.

glass

(he, him)
Not really.
DnD has gone through 2-3 different editions in 20 years, Palladium has only done Heroes Unlimited 2e, and Fantasy 2e (1e was actually better). No new editions have been done since the very beginning.
Palladium Fantasy 2e came out in 1996 and Heroes Unlimited 2e in 1998. If no new edition since then is their "death throes", then this reinforces rather than rebuts my comment that they have been in them for a long time.

(There was also Rifts Ultimate Edition in 2005, but that is not far shy of 20 years ago either.)

_
glass.

Last edited:

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Palladium Fantasy 2e came out in 1996 and Heroes Unlimited 2e in 1998. If not new edition since then is their "death throes", then this reinforces rather than rebuts my comment that they have been in them for a long time.

(There was also Rifts Ultimate Edition in 2005, but that is not far shy of 20 years ago either.)

_
glass.
No, your point was that it was KS age, not evolution which is false.
It is the lack of evolution, whereas DnD has had at least two iterations in that time.

How could it be "drastically" more popular than it is though?
I said in a previous post. If they were as well-designed as they could be, they'd probably be the most popular class. I'm pretty sure that counts as drastic when coming from "the middle of the pack". Fighters and Rogues do so well not because the classes are particularly well-designed (I don't think Rogue is at the top of anyone's "awesome design" list, much as I love 5E's Soulknife and Swashbuckler), but because the archetypes are popular and accessible. Druid isn't half as popular as Fighter because it's half as good, is it? Druid is probably a roundly stronger class than Fighter, especially at higher levels. But the concept is a lot less accessible.
So who's showing bad faith now?
You are.

Read the actual words. They don't mean what you're claiming. There's literally nothing there saying you are "dumb" for liking them. That's something you've injected so you can complain (hence bad faith). I'm saying that with all classes, across all games (not just D&D, not just Monks, not just tabletop RPGs), classes which don't necessarily perform well are often perfectly popular, especially with players who aren't playing at the "elite" end of the spectrum (which almost no-one is in D&D). I think that's a fact that's not even open to dispute. A hard fact. It's very easy to demonstrate with player numbers from MMOs stacked next to the numbers showing the top performers, and classes used by the top 1% of players in those MMOs.

I'm a "casual" player in most videogames (and indeed probably D&D, as I tend to prefer jack of all trades or support classes). I'm who I'm talking about - I often play suboptimal classes in videogames (sheesh, usually maybe). So what, you think I'm insulting me? This is just seeking insult on your part, frankly. It's fair to say I could have been more clear but come on.

Re: D&D, because all the classes perform fairly close to each other, this is even more the case. Monks are not a particularly well-designed class, and have amount of needless Shaolin baggage (likely as a result of hurried "Apology Edition" design) which makes them less popular than a differently-named class without that baggage but otherwise similar performance would be. But still enough people want the basic "martial artist" archetype that they're in the middle of the pack, and Monks have reasonable performance, like all 5E classes. I remember someone did a detailed but crude analysis of the performance of all 5E classes/subclasses, and found that, like, if the top performers were 10/10, the worst performers were like 6.8-7/10, and I'd certainly subscribe to that (just as a general approach at least).

That's similar to games like WoW. If you look at the DPS or healing charts, you see that the worst performers are usually about 70% of the very best. And as a person who has played tanks for years in that, I'd say it was similar there (though it is harder to analyze) - usually, at the very highest end, only 1-2 tanks will be considered "viable", but realistically, until you're at that level, it's hard to tell. Player skill and so on tends to dominate. That doesn't mean that badly-designed tanks aren't badly-designed, doesn't mean that, just because they're popular, we should ignore the mechanical shortcomings. Like, if play Druid tank in a lot of expansions, I'm working twice as hard to get up to that similar level of performance and it's a lot less fun - but there are still absolutely bunches of Druid tanks until you get to the very high end (disclaimer I stopped following WoW after the Great Revealing of Horror, so I dunno which tank is top these days - I play a slightly second-rate tank class in FFXIV instead - FFXIV does balancing better than anyone simply by removing all choices/specs, I note, but that's a whole other discussion!).

No, your point was that it was KS age, not evolution which is false.
It is the lack of evolution, whereas DnD has had at least two iterations in that time.
And yet, if you care to go to the Palladium Book store, there are still new releases.
The Palladium System has its fans. Do not confound stability with death throes.
If I had believed the rumours, Palladium Books should have closed shop 20 years ago.
For a ghost, their website is still getting better each year...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Because if DnD cannot do other genres it cannot evolve and expand and will eventually die out

Everything dies eventually.

That said, what you say is simply not supported by any evidence. There is no current evidence that a game must be able to support multiple genres, or it will die. Indeed, D&D, a mostly one-genre game, seems to be doing better than all the multi-genre games combined! At nearly 50 years old, the oldest name in the business, it has not significantly broadened its genre coverage, but appears to be selling and growing its player base to unprecedented heights.

So, maybe you need some better support on that idea before folks are going to accept it.

By the way, evolution, on the whole, does not drive creatures towards generalization. It more usually drives creatures towards specialization for a given niche. Invoking evolution, therefore, is maybe not your best bet either.

Rogerd1

Adventurer
And yet, if you care to go to the Palladium Book store, there are still new releases.
The Palladium System has its fans. Do not confound stability with death throes.
If I had believed the rumours, Palladium Books should have closed shop 20 years ago.
For a ghost, their website is still getting better each year...
Which do not fix the problematic ruleset which is out of date.
Fact since PF & HU there have been no new rules.

Fact is that current rules do not favour images, such that most on the PB board say that if a mage wants to shoot something they should get a gun and not use magic.

Which is in fact in opposition to the Books of Magic which says that mages believe magic is superior. This would not be the case if they ran out of juice within half a minute of fighting.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I find it weird that anyone is calling the game that just put out a space fantasy setting to go alongside their magitech, horror, and Elminster settings 'single genre'. Single supergenre (Fantasy with a capital 'F' and even that's arguable considering how often it's veered wrecklessly into just plain Spec-Fic) maybe, but D&D has never been a single genre game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads