what if hits drained stats

Crusadius

Adventurer
PDQ does this. Although you generally choose what stat gets reduced, and PDQ doesn't have traditional stats but stats (called Qualities) like Strong, Knowledge of the Supernatural, Fine Food and Drink, etc.

Vortex of death. This would mean that as soon as you take damage, you are less effective and therefore become weaker. Your opponent does not, therefore the imbalance is heightened, and once one sides starts to lose, the fight is over quickly with little in the way of the players have a chance to reverse that.
In Zweihanders, as well as several other systems, the instant a PC or NPC takes damage, their abilities begin to degrade.

It's a vastly better system than hit points.

D&D is a really bad system.
So very, very true. :cool:

Vortex of death. This would mean that as soon as you take damage, you are less effective and therefore become weaker. Your opponent does not, therefore the imbalance is heightened, and once one sides starts to lose, the fight is over quickly with little in the way of the players have a chance to reverse that.

It's only a death spiral if the players are accustomed to nothing more than tedious fights of attrition where victory goes to the side that has at least one remaining hit point.

But it certainly makes combat faster, entertaining, and memorable.

So very, very true. :cool:
You're quoting of my statement here is done in a really dishonest way. It's these types of quoting people out of context, and not even quoting their full sentence that makes people complain about reporters and politicians quoting people out of context.
It's only a death spiral if the players are accustomed to nothing more than tedious fights of attrition where victory goes to the side that has at least one remaining hit point.
Agreed. And death spirals may not be a bad thing, I didn't say they are. It's just that death spirals are often, but not always, looked at in a bad light and it should be a conscious design decision to put one in your system, and not just a side effect of some other design effort.

You're quoting of my statement here is done in a really dishonest way. It's these types of quoting people out of context, and not even quoting their full sentence that makes people complain about reporters and politicians quoting people out of context
And yet, it brought forth the truth. :D
Agreed. And death spirals may not be a bad thing, I didn't say they are. It's just that death spirals are often, but not always, looked at in a bad light and it should be a conscious design decision to put one in your system, and not just a side effect of some other design effort.
I don't agree that death spirals exist. Damage impacting performance simply adds a degree of challenge that is missing in the later versions of D&D, where HP bloat and under disregard for personal injury are the norm.

D&D is not, IMO, bout combat, but rather combat is a means to an end: XP, loot, and yet more personal abilities that never fail. It is about building uber-powered PCs.

Systems with better mechanics bring player abilities to the fore, where it is the player's choices that determine the flow of combat.

It all depends on what you like.

That is just such an offensive statement, and only true from your very limited perspective :)
Ah, but my perspective is the only one I have, so that truth is all the truth that I need. ;)

And it's not just me; there are plenty of gamers who dislike D&D. Oh course, that's true of any system.

But we digress. The point of damage affecting performance is to move combat from 'roll to hit, roll for damage', or 'pick one of my 9 illogical abilities to employ' to a more nuanced, less formulaic response that is based on player choices.

Remove ads