D&D 5E What If Ranged Wpn Attacks Used Wisdom?

Argyle King

Legend
Some other games that I play have an "aim" action.

Is there a way that Wisdom could be used to gain an increase in accuracy by aiming?

Action: Aim
You focus on a target and gain a +1 bonus on ranged attacks against that target until the end of your next turn. If you are hit by an attack while aiming, you must succeed at a concentration check to maintain the aim bonus. After making an attack, any accumulated aim bonus is spent.
Special: This action can be taken multiple times across subsequent turns, with the bonus increasing with each Aim taken -up to a maximum of your WIS modifier or +1 (whichever is higher).

That's probably clunky wording but that's off the top of my head.

I think when it comes to ranged combat, it's less a matter of perceiving your target, and more "how do I use my hands to get this projectile from me to my target?"

I am pretty comfortable with dexterity representing that kind of precision.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Some other games that I play have an "aim" action.

Is there a way that Wisdom could be used to gain an increase in accuracy by aiming?

You focus on a target and gain a +1 bonus on ranged attacks against that target until the end of your next turn. If you are hit by an attack while aiming, you must succeed at a concentration check to maintain the aim bonus. After making an attack, any accumulated aim bonus is spent.
Special: This action can be taken multiple times across subsequent turns, with the bonus increasing with each Aim taken -up to a maximum of your WIS modifier or +1 (whichever is higher).

It’s have to be a very big bonus to be worth an action, but as a bonus action it probably works.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
So, wisdom basically is perception, and you aim with your senses as much as anything else, if not more so. . .
... because so many old, wise men are known for their keen ability to see and hear things?
"Eh? Who said that?"

For that matter...

"A greater shot has never been made with the longbow. The archer's wisdom is unmatched!"

Plus, it helps keep Wisdom from becoming too strong a stat since it's used in so many saving throws.
This is the core issue. A big team of D&D designers can't be wrong. Especially with hordes (literal?) of playtesters behind them. The abilities are balanced, as intended.

As always, the proof is in the pudding. The playtest-pudding. If it works at your table, spoon it up.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
... because so many old, wise men are known for their keen ability to see and hear things?
"Eh? Who said that?"

For that matter...

"A greater shot has never been made with the longbow. The archer's wisdom is unmatched!"
And yet, when you want to find something in 5e, you make a wisdom check.
This is the core issue. A big team of D&D designers can't be wrong.
Of course they can be. Also, it wasn't a big team that made 5e.
Especially with hordes (literal?) of playtesters behind them. The abilities are balanced, as intended.
A fraction of the number of people playing now, but sure, still a decent chunk of people.
As always, the proof is in the pudding. The playtest-pudding. If it works at your table, spoon it up.
This isn't especially interesting or useful as an addition to the discussion.

aco175

Legend

I'm thinking of a different Aim Action where you gain advantage to hit, but you cannot move this turn. Had something to with rogues and bonus action hiding to jump out and such and this just allows you to gain the advantage at the cost of moving.

This one you have listed sounds kind of weak. I can aim for one round and get +1 next round on my shot, or aim for a few rounds since I have 18 Wisdom and then on my 5th turn I shoot with a +4 to hit. Seems like I have a better chance just shooting without the bonus and only would use aim if I could sniper before the first round of actual combat.

Argyle King

Legend
I'm thinking of a different Aim Action where you gain advantage to hit, but you cannot move this turn. Had something to with rogues and bonus action hiding to jump out and such and this just allows you to gain the advantage at the cost of moving.

This one you have listed sounds kind of weak. I can aim for one round and get +1 next round on my shot, or aim for a few rounds since I have 18 Wisdom and then on my 5th turn I shoot with a +4 to hit. Seems like I have a better chance just shooting without the bonus and only would use aim if I could sniper before the first round of actual combat.

Those are fair criticisms.

The game I took the idea from has rounds which work differently, so it makes more sense there.

In D&D, I started with a version that's probably weak for how 5E works.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hrm. Coincidentally, I just started reading the Coyote & Crow rules.

There, every skill is associated with two stats - ranged weapons, for example, are either Agility or Perception. If you are proficient in the skill, you get to use your rank in the skill plus whichever of your associated stats is higher. If you are not proficient, you use the lower stat.

Maybe that'll give someone some inspiration in this thread.

Remove ads