• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What Improvements Would You Want with 6E?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I want rules written for dungeon crawling (or their equivalent) in my Dungeons and Dragons game. I want a game that provides cinematic action stories.
One, however, does not by its nature provide the other.

A dungeon-crawling party is, most logically, going to be cautious and careful. The ten (or eleven!) foot poles are close to hand, everything is checked for traps, and the tension comes not from the action itself but from waiting for the action and not knowing how or when it's going to appear. And the rules need to allow for this.

5ekyu

Hero
Huh...kinda has me wondering what class most resembles harry potter type wizards...or even just one of them like mr potter himself. The only things i can think of involve really badly multiclassed high level characters jist to get a few years into hogwarts.

I mean...they have the resource availability of a warlock blaster caster but variance and highly powerful effects like a crazy sortbof wizard with some circle magic.

And that just getting started.
If I were gonna try and emulate Potter in 5e.
Spell point variant wizard.
Plus status (years) in a Wizard school as background feature.
Boons (charms, spellbooks, resources like special familiars, etc) from the school due to status. As status rises, more boons.)
Basically a lot needs to be gained from the "sttonghold/guild" setup.

If I were gonna try and emulate Potter in 5e.
Spell point variant wizard.
Plus status (years) in a Wizard school as background feature.
Boons (charms, spellbooks, resources like special familiars, etc) from the school due to status. As status rises, more boons.)
Basically a lot needs to be gained from the "sttonghold/guild" setup.
I feel like whatever the harry potter wizard is its gotta be a prc because right off the bat at "1st level" it would appear to immediately have a ton of capabilities. It feels (to me personally at least) like too much to gain in a single level.

5ekyu

Hero
I feel like whatever the harry potter wizard is its gotta be a prc because right off the bat at "1st level" it would appear to immediately have a ton of capabilities. It feels (to me personally at least) like too much to gain in a single level.
That depends on if you consider level 1 to be start adventuring or later training. A potter setting would fit yo be an adventures hspprn while still in school.

I would have tier- 1 be "in school" centered and tier-2 be " graduated" and more the classic adventure. But it's a given, status in the school is big asset wise.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
One, however, does not by its nature provide the other.

A dungeon-crawling party is, most logically, going to be cautious and careful. The ten (or eleven!) foot poles are close to hand, everything is checked for traps, and the tension comes not from the action itself but from waiting for the action and not knowing how or when it's going to appear. And the rules need to allow for this.

I don't understand what you're saying here.

I want both and the rules do provide both for me.

It is possible for a rules set to provide one or the other of course. These rules provide both.

Your 2nd paragraph appears to have nothing to do with my post.

That depends on if you consider level 1 to be start adventuring or later training. A potter setting would fit yo be an adventures hspprn while still in school.

I would have tier- 1 be "in school" centered and tier-2 be " graduated" and more the classic adventure. But it's a given, status in the school is big asset wise.
Well actually, i meant that they seem like they have tons of abilities directly before attending school and also a ton more after 1st year at school. Powerful or lethal spells dont seem to be much of a thing first year but look at the breadth of what can be done.

Right off the bat

Massive spell catalogue

Potion making

1 or 2 familiars

Access to an arcane library (and pretty likely a far more extensive one than what a wizard typically would have access to below heroic tier in d&d)

Innate spell casting

Boosted caster level when using wand and incantation

No limit to spells known

Wizard but with spontaneous casting

Reserves of strength with fatigue (if anything) substituted for the normal stun or damage recoil

Free half non human (nearly any) template optional (like fey for instance or vela or whatever) with seemingly the ability to ignore level adjustment.

Starting equipment includes soulbound wand (or something else to represent loyalty to its master)

No need for a spell book

Honestly the list keeps going but i dont know when i would run out so im going to stop because i think it would be pretty long.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I don't understand what you're saying here.

I want both and the rules do provide both for me.

It is possible for a rules set to provide one or the other of course. These rules provide both.

Your 2nd paragraph appears to have nothing to do with my post.
Your post said you want cinematic action scenes - my read on this was that's what you'd like the game to mostly consist of.

You also said you want dungeon crawling; which (if played the least bit logically) mostly consists of lots of caution and exploring, with "cinematic action scenes" relatively few and far between.

Unless, that is, you're skipping all the exploration bits; but then it's not really dungeon crawling any more.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Your post said you want cinematic action scenes - my read on this was that's what you'd like the game to mostly consist of.

You also said you want dungeon crawling; which (if played the least bit logically) mostly consists of lots of caution and exploring, with "cinematic action scenes" relatively few and far between.

Unless, that is, you're skipping all the exploration bits; but then it's not really dungeon crawling any more.

Indiana Jones is cautious and yet the movie is also cinematic.

What isn't cinematic is resting for a day every time something exciting happens. There is no tension. I am not watching a movie like that.

Take The Terminator as another example. The Terminator finds Sarah. A few action set pieces happen. Sarah and Kyle find refuge in a motel and rest for the night thus dispelling the tension. The Terminator finds them again and the tension ramps up to the climax of the movie.

Now imagine that movie where Kyle and Sarah visit the motel 10 times instead of 1. It would be terrible.

I want a balanced mix of Social Interaction, Exploration, and Combat. All those things can be cinematic.

What is terrible is having the heroes take a day off to rest every time something happens. That is a terrible action/adventure/fantasy story anymore.

(I also disagree with combats being 'few and far between' in dungeon crawling. We must have been playing very different games of D&D.)

Tony Vargas

Legend
Unless, that is, you're skipping all the exploration bits*; but then it's not really dungeon crawling any more.
I suppose you could be dungeon strolling, or even dungeon sprinting.

* "rock-climbing, Joel, rock-climbing..."
"deeeeeep hurrrrrting…"
"...got...to...pad.... the....film..."

Last edited:

Remove ads