D&D (2024) What Improvements Would You Want with 6E?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
1e through 3.5? 1e > 2e was mostly clean & polish. 2e > 3e was 'streamlining' (I wouldn't have put it that way before Tweet's post, I'd've said "consolidation").

You can like or dislike them, but 2e was a slicker product than 1e, and 3e a cleaner one, mechanically (and 4e, disastrously better-balanced). Each an improvement in it's own way...
And at the same time, each a step backward in another way.

2e (on original release) was slicker than 1e, but also bland as hell and far too obviously pandering to the satanic panic crowd.
3e (on original release) was a streamlining of 2e, but went overboard with it and threw out some very good standalone mechanics from the earlier editions.
4e (on original release) was...well, not entirely complete; and at the same time was a much bigger jump from its predecessor than any previous edition jump had been - a poor combination no matter how one looks at it.
5e (on original release) was a deliberate attempt* to steer a course somewhere between 3e and 4e, while in theory adding to both.

* - one can, of course, argue till midnight as to whether this attempt has thus far been successful or not - if one cares. :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What is the point of each edition if not fixing some of the bugs from the previous one?

There is no point in new editions, which WotC has finally figured out. Ergo, a 6E in any meaningful sense is implausible.

If there were a 6E, I'd like to see the core rules stay just as with 5E, to the extent that 5E characters could be brought to a 6E table or 6E characters run Princes of the Apocalypse without issue. The significant changes I'd like to see would be:

• removing Feats and 3.x multiclassing from the game
  • Have Subclass be a Level 1 choice for all Classes
  • putting in Themes as an alternative Variant to ASI
  • Provide a Tier power-up to Backgrounds at the appropriate Levels, as with the Ravnica Guilds
  • Put Group Patrons ala Enerron into the core books
  • Make favored terrain be the Subclass for the Ranger: Highlander Rangers from the Mountains, Steppe Rider Rangers from the Grasslands, etc.

Well, BM fighter, particularly, with short-rest CS dice. EK has added daily resources. Champion at-will.

1/3 casters don't have nearly enough resources to count as being daily powers. Getting 2nd level spells at level 7 and 3rd level spells at level 13 is absurdly slow.

And having played a Champion level 1-19, calling anything they get before level 18 an "at-will power" is really stretching that definition. No, I never felt weak, but without the minimal amount of decision making required to use GWM, I would never have made it past level 5 with that class. Playing a champion, you feel like you have two choices to make and that's it: when to Second Wind (yay 😐) and when to Action Surge. Since Action Surge is best early on (best defense is a good offense) you run into the problem that if you make a mistake, you're stuck until the next long rest.

Sure it has. It's a perennial issue, only slightly perturbed for a couple of years c2009.

You're missing my point. It's been an issue, yes, but it's not been one which has caused party conflict. It's never worked at cross-purposes. It's been an artifact of the game, but not a flaw of design. It hasn't been a problem that caused issues in game play. Well, excepting the "5 minute work day" that irritates DMs, but if that was an issue in 4e then that's basically impossible to avoid.

In 1e/2e/3e/4e, when the Fighter wanted to stop because they were out of hp, you stopped because nobody else wants the Fighter's role of high AC, high hp, and consistent damage. The "meat shield" idiom is not an unwarranted one. When the spellcasters want to stop, the Fighter does because not only does he wants the Wizard's big guns, he wants the Clerics fast healing and combat healing. Not only do the requirements to rest dovetail into what each class does for the others, nobody is really arguing about how long to rest, either. [Excepting 1e's extremely slow spell recovery, but I don't think I ever played in a campaign that didn't use 100% daily spell slot recovery.]

In 5e, you can run into situations where the Fighter/Warlock/Monk wants to stop because their active resources need replenishing, but the Barbarian/Bard/Cleric/Druid/Rogue/Paladin/Wizard/etc. don't want to stop because not only are they mostly full on resources, but the role that a Fighter/Warlock/Monk is expected to fill int the party -- tank, blaster, or skirmisher -- isn't significantly impaired. The worst part is that they'll be more likely to be bored and they player might feel less in the spotlight. It doesn't make your character worse, it just makes playing your character feel worse. Unfortunately, that actually worse from a design perspective.

Ouch. Yeah, you've got a point there. The 1hr "short" rest is problematic, it's just not that short, it doesn't fit narratively into many circumstances, and when it does, it's probably as practical - and more beneficial - to take a long rest.

It's somewhat ironic because, in my observation, the number one recommendation that DMs seem to get when they ask, "How do I run 6-8 encounters a day when my party keeps stopping after 2-4," is, "Use time pressure to force them to keep going." Nearly any time pressure that is urgent enough to prevent them from long resting is also going to prevent them from short resting every other encounter!

There's no point making a trap that no one will ever walk into, now is there?

It would be less of an issue if there were more classes that relied on short rests for most of their interesting, active abilities. The problem is that, with only 3 classes with the issue, many groups will have 1 short rest class and 3-4 long rest classes (or the one at-will class, Rogue). So the short rest player is always out-voted.

There's a third problem with short rests, and this one relates to Hit Dice.

One of the last concessions made at the end of playtesting was to dial back the number of Hit Dice recovered with a long rest. Originally, you recovered all of them with a long rest. They switched it to only recovering half with a long rest to appease players who wanted slower recovery.

That was also a design mistake. The consequence is that, over the long term, filling your day with short rests to recover hit points and continue adventuring carries diminishing returns.

Say you're a 10th level whatever. You short rest and expend 5 Hit Dice to recover your hp. Later, you rest again and spend another 4 Hit Dice to recover hp, and you keep going. Later you long rest. Great! This is what the game wanted you to do! Except, wait. You only recover 5 HD overnight. You'll only have 6 HD tomorrow, but adventuring today and recovering with short rests cost 9 HD. Assuming the next day is equally difficult, I should expect to be unable to continue adventuring tomorrow at my second rest opportunity (i.e., short, long) even though I had three rest opportunities today (i.e., short, short, long).

Now, I agree that this is very realistic. Getting worn down over time is thematic, flavorful, and challenging. Indeed, I would even agree that this is an overall good design... except when your game includes classes that rely on short rests.

Reduced HD recovery discourages short resting day after day after day. Short resting is now not as sustainable. You'll either need to go more encounters between rests, or else just have fewer encounters per day even if they have the same difficulty. If you do the former, then short rest classes have fewer chances to recover resources over the same number of encounters. That is, they have fewer ability uses each day. If you do the latter, long rest characters will have the same amount of resources to use over fewer encounters. That is, they have fewer ability targets each day.

Tony Vargas

Legend
It's been an issue, yes, but it's not been one which has caused party conflict. It's never worked at cross-purposes.
Sure it has. I mean, I get that the conflict would generally be resolved, eventually, by "hey, we're out of healing" or "hey, you can come with me when I teleport or not" but, yeah, there was conflict.
And, when there wasn't, and the party just went along with the 5MWD, there was (except for the minor 4e blip) significant class imbalance, as a consequence.

It's been an artifact of the game, but not a flaw of design.
Meh, only difference between flaw & artifact in that since is spin. Yes, resource disparity is an artifact of the system, yes, it's a flaw, whether between daily and at-will, or among short rest, long rest, and at-will.

In 1e/2e/3e/4e, when the Fighter wanted to stop because they were out of hp, you stopped because nobody else wants the Fighter's role of high AC, high hp, and consistent(ly taking?) damage.
Erm… was it the fighter that wanted to stop? I mean, in 3e, he just needs you to drain another WoCLW for him, in 4e he's got half again anyone else's hit points and double their surges, and spends 'em on a short rest - coincidentally, he needed 5 minutes, either way, and he's good to go.

In 5e, you can run into situations where the Fighter/Warlock/Monk wants to stop because their active resources need replenishing, but the Barbarian/Bard/Cleric/Druid/Rogue/Paladin/Wizard/etc. don't want to stop because not only are they mostly full on resources, but the role that a Fighter/Warlock/Monk is expected to fill int the party -- tank, blaster, or skirmisher -- isn't significantly impaired. The worst part is that they'll be more likely to be bored and they player might feel less in the spotlight. It doesn't make your character worse, it just makes playing your character feel worse. Unfortunately, that actually worse from a design perspective.
I agree, though, that there's an added nuance to the issues, this time around, because short rests are so, well, not-short...
...there is one mitigating factor, though, in that anyone who's been hurt, even if they've no other short-rest resources, might benefit from spending HD, similar to running out of healing before, but less pronounced.

It's somewhat ironic because, in my observation, the number one recommendation that DMs seem to get when they ask, "How do I run 6-8 encounters a day when my party keeps stopping after 2-4," is, "Use time pressure to force them to keep going." Nearly any time pressure that is urgent enough to prevent them from long resting is also going to prevent them from short resting every other encounter!
Yeah, time pressure is not /that/ simple a tool. ;)

The other advice is "change the length of rests." OK, usually it's "use the gritty variant," but you could go the other way and change short rests to a more manageable 5 or 10 minutes or something... really, though, the encounter/daily dichotomy is a lot easier to manage than the short/long dichotomy.

It would be less of an issue if there were more classes that relied on short rests for most of their interesting, active abilities. The problem is that, with only 3 classes with the issue, many groups will have 1 short rest class and 3-4 long rest classes (or the one at-will class, Rogue). So the short rest player is always out-voted.
OTOH, one of those three /is/ the most popular class in the game, and it's not that unusually to see at least two fighters in the party. Monks and Warlocks maybe not so much. So it's really an issue at the party-composition level, and, if you're aware of it, you might, session 0, recommend the players address it, right there, either by agreeing to respect each class's needs, or by picking classes with more compatible resource mixes - Barbarian or Paladin instead of Fighter, for instance.

There's a third problem with short rests, and this one relates to Hit Dice.
One of the last concessions made at the end of playtesting was to dial back the number of Hit Dice recovered with a long rest. Originally, you recovered all of them with a long rest. They switched it to only recovering half with a long rest to appease players who wanted slower recovery.
Which is a little odd, honestly (since doesn't the 'gritty' variant do that same thing for them in a big way, too?), but at least easily changed.

Now, I agree that this is very realistic.
Mildly, perhaps? ....nah, not especially. Again, if they're that put out they can throw the gritty switch and run at a slower pace.
That was also a design mistake. The consequence is that, over the long term, filling your day with short rests to recover hit points and continue adventuring carries diminishing returns.
Again, especially if the DM resorts to "time pressure?"

dave2008

Legend
I came back over to 3e because I liked the use of Feats and agree that having class features be Feats would be great but then why have Classes at all?
That is basically where I am at. I explained in another post, but I would go essentially classes with "quick builds" that follow the traditional classes.
Is fixed Character Class the core feature that makes DnD?
Unfortunately I think it is. The only way to get a classless system is, IMO, to design it as classless but provide "archetypes" that model the traditional classes. These archetypes are really just quick build guidelines to fit a particular class theme.

dave2008

Legend
Making class features feats is the worse idea I ever heard. I want distinct class features. Only rogues sneak attack and have expertise. Only barbarians rage. And etc.

I would like to see meta magic go back to the wizard and sorcerers focus more on bloodline related abilities.

I would be happy for feats to go to hell and just develop the classes better.

That’s just my opinion. Skills and powers anyone !!! Worse book ever.
Just because you don't like something doesn't make the idea bad.
Is PF2 really 6e?
No, it is right there in the name

Shiroiken

Legend
There are many things that I would love to see changed for a 6E, making it my ideal edition of D&D. I'm also sure that many posters could say the same. The problem is that these idealized editions would completely fail, because they're too detailed. 5E works well because it has a fairly simple framework that each DM can build off of, and it appeals to the largest base possible (as shown by the playtest and surveys).

That said, a few changes to the general setup of 5E would be good when they do another edition. Most of these changes wouldn't be a major shift away from the current framework, but might require a new edition to implement.

*Ability Scores - balance the saves across all of them, so that having a low ability score means you're vulnerable to something. Ideally a use for each ability score outside of class abilities would be nice (Int is a common dump stat, for example).

*Arms & Armor - for the love of Gygax, PLEASE balance these, with some obvious exceptions acceptable (clubs and hide armor being bad are fine, since they're supposed to be crappy).

*Encounter Guidelines - set a reasonable assumption based on level. For example, right now 6-8 encounters is completely unrealistic at low levels, especially considering that you're unlikely to take more than 1 short rest per long rest. Set it at about 4 for lower levels, then increasing it until you're able to handle about 10 encounters per long rest at epic tier. While this doesn't actually affect my game (I don't use encounter guidelines), this has been a contentious issue online.

*Fix the Ranger - I like the PHB ranger more than any of the revised options, but the key IMO is that you don't get enough sworn enemies and terrains. Also, gaining a combat benefit against your favorite enemy would be nice.

teitan

Legend
I don’t want a 6e. I want a slight reset with an improved action economy similar to Pathfinder 2e. Expansion of subclass options and backgrounds, most popular new races added into the core rule book. Things like that rather than a revamp. New art. Maybe a section in the DMG on Phandelver or a similar location in the Realms. Very little needs done to 5e really.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases