• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What innovative elements from Baldur's Gate 3 would you like to see implimented in 2024 D&D?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I havent been keeping up on whats going on in the packets but yes they would seemingly need to address that.
I would rather have mastery be its own thing that you need a class feature or feat to have, and have these moves come with proficiency regardless of class.

I’d also rather a character with both have both at-will and limited abilities.

Edit: also the rogue has what you described in the last document, so I’d rather not have a general feature set for all characters horn in on the rogue’s cool toy.

You…um…you know that using per encounter ability recharge doesn’t have anything to do, literally absolutely nothing, with specific 4e encounter powers, right?
Like…right? You get that?

And the two solutions I listed are both great ways to handle proficiency based mundane abilities that are too strong to be at-will (which also makes no sense. You can’t do advanced moves every attack all day no rest. It’s complete nonsense.) and so need a use limit.

In both cases, you have a number of times you can do [proficiency attack abilities] without resting, or some other recharge, and you can use any [proficiency attack ability] with that pool of uses. It’s no different from superiority dice as a use limiter, just generalized.
I do understand that an "Encounter" ability from 4E recharges after a very short 5-minute rest, therefore it can be used more often than an ability that recharges after a 1-hour "Short Rest", which does not necessarily occur between every "encounter".

Weapon Mastery abilities are at-will, cantrip-level-power abilities. They have smaller benefits, more like an edge over someone without such mastery, as opposed to a massive ability like a spell. I do believe they work as at-will powers and they are not nonsense. You may think differently.

In your final point, I believe Superiority Dice fit the limited-use design space better than weapon mastery or BG3 weapon abilities, because they do hit harder, and include a good side effect as well.

doctorbadwolf

I do understand that an "Encounter" ability from 4E recharges after a very short 5-minute rest, therefore it can be used more often than an ability that recharges after a 1-hour "Short Rest", which does not necessarily occur between every "encounter".
That isn’t what I asked about but okay.
Do you understand that having per encounter abilities (not shorter short rests) does not mean using 4e encounter powers? Because your entire response to the suggestion of per encounter resource was to complain about a specific 4e encounter power. (Which makes just as much sense as social skill checks do)
Weapon Mastery abilities are at-will, cantrip-level-power abilities. They have smaller benefits, more like an edge over someone without such mastery, as opposed to a massive ability like a spell. I do believe they work as at-will powers and they are not nonsense. You may think differently.
They make no sense. I can’t believe it’s even controversial. The way in which they make no sense doesn’t bother you, fine, but you cannot do special moves constantly all day without rest.
In your final point, I believe Superiority Dice fit the limited-use design space better than weapon mastery or BG3 weapon abilities, because they do hit harder, and include a good side effect as well.
Yeah that’s a non-starter. Have fun with that.

That isn’t what I asked about but okay.
Do you understand that having per encounter abilities (not shorter short rests) does not mean using 4e encounter powers? Because your entire response to the suggestion of per encounter resource was to complain about a specific 4e encounter power. (Which makes just as much sense as social skill checks do)

They make no sense. I can’t believe it’s even controversial. The way in which they make no sense doesn’t bother you, fine, but you cannot do special moves constantly all day without rest.

Yeah that’s a non-starter. Have fun with that.
You said "Bring back per encounter design, and you can only do a mastery move once. You get it back when the encounter ends, or whatever."

To me, that means bringing something back that used to be a thing. To me, that is a reference to 4E Encounter Power design, and I absolutely addressed that when I say I don't want to go back to Encounter Power design. If you didn't mean to go back to 4E Encounter power design, that clears that up.

Sure, I expanded on the complaint a bit and used Come and Get it as an example of a 4E "narrative" Encounter power that I don't like, but that was an honest response to what I thought you were saying. Specifically, I prefer having an in-world reason for recharging an ability, not a recharge "just because." Commonly, recharges are rest-based, which is fine to me. Encounter Power design, outside of "rests" is narrative design that I generally don't like.

The thread is about adding BG3 elements to the TTRPG, and I don't like when a very specific single mundane ability is limited for no in-world reason. A "stamina pool/energy reserve" to track exertion is fine, which is why I'm fine with Superiority Dice. The Battle Master's Superiority Dice are literally already in the TTRPG and are in BG3 too! And they are not going away. That is not even controversial. I have no idea how you can think that is a non-starter for the game. Or do you mean it is a non-starter for you?

And finally, Weapon Mastery abilities are totally going into the new books, at-will, and no they are not these amazingly advanced special abilities that take huge amounts of effort or break the game. They are cantrip-level power. You're right that it is not controversial. With the exception of some complaints like with Flex, they are pretty popular. You don't have to "believe it" but they'll be there.

Are you talking about something else? Otherwise, that entire last post made no sense to me.

Nope.

It is a narrative limitation because we're telling a story like in movies and TV. It's a pacing mechanism.

Legolas doesn't stab a dude with an arrow, then fire it every time he gets a chance because it would get repetitive and boring, so he just doesn't do it. Encounters powers aren't per encounter because they have to be portioned out like those videogamey (term used to illustrate the needlessly antagonistic usage of the term especially in a thread about backporting ideas from a game) spells; no it's to keep players from spamming them over and over an them becoming boring like a basic attack is.

The purpose of encounter based design is entirely about a holistic view spinning a narrative, but in and out of universe.
The narrative solution would be to make those abilities conditional. I'm sure players wouldn't mind reviewing a dozen different variables every turn to see if a certain mastery was available or not.

doctorbadwolf

You said "Bring back per encounter design, and you can only do a mastery move once. You get it back when the encounter ends, or whatever."

To me, that means bringing something back that used to be a thing. To me, that is a reference to 4E Encounter Power design, and I absolutely addressed that when I say I don't want to go back to Encounter Power design. If you didn't mean to go back to 4E Encounter power design, that clears that up.
Even if I’d explicitly said 4e encounter recharge, I clearly described something different from 4e encounter powers, and made no mention of powers at all, nor would even bringing back encounter powers necessitate bringing back any specific powers, nor even the general design philosophy of 4e powers.

I said a thing, and you jumped to a conclusion that was entirely out of left field.
Sure, I expanded on the complaint a bit and used Come and Get it as an example of a 4E "narrative" Encounter power that I don't like, but that was an honest response to what I thought you were saying. Specifically, I prefer having an in-world reason for recharging an ability, not a recharge "just because." Commonly, recharges are rest-based, which is fine to me. Encounter Power design, outside of "rests" is narrative design that I generally don't like.
Which is why I described a recharge where you have a pool of uses of a type of thing, and can spend one to use any of that type of thing that you know. Which is how most stuff already works in 5e, including superiority dice.
The thread is about adding BG3 elements to the TTRPG, and I don't like when a very specific single mundane ability is limited for no in-world reason. A "stamina pool/energy reserve" to track exertion is fine, which is why I'm fine with Superiority Dice. The Battle Master's Superiority Dice are literally already in the TTRPG and are in BG3 too! And they are not going away. That is not even controversial. I have no idea how you can think that is a non-starter for the game. Or do you mean it is a non-starter for you?
I’m not sure what post you even read…

Okay. I made no mention in any way of superiority dice going anywhere. I didn’t allude to it, imply it, or wave in its general direction.

I said that using SD as the use limiter for BG3 weapon abilities is a non-starter. And it is, not just for me. Every attempt to expand on how SD can be used and who can get some of them fails to make it out of UA. Every single time.
And finally, Weapon Mastery abilities are totally going into the new books, at-will, and no they are not these amazingly advanced special abilities that take huge amounts of effort or break the game. They are cantrip-level power. You're right that it is not controversial. With the exception of some complaints like with Flex, they are pretty popular. You don't have to "believe it" but they'll be there.
I literally made no reference to them not being in the new phb. What the hell are you talking about? Seriously.
Are you talking about something else? Otherwise, that entire last post made no sense to me.
That’s quite readily apperent.

Remove ads