Level Up (A5E) What Interests You about "Level Up"?

Anselm

Adventurer
the floating +2/+ or +1/+1/+1 should have been in LU5E by default and balanced around that.
They are free floating. Background are fully customizable RAW (just like in O5E). Since ability bumps are in the background but you can change which stats get them. (Sidebar on Pg 75)

While maybe it's the abilities themselves you're not a fan of for the feats, at least battle caster and deadeye require level 8 and deadeye's bonus damage is linked to proficiency bonus. The polearm savant added a way to negate the opportunity attack by burning a reaction as well. I can't find gwm and lucky equivalents. Are they in?

Edit: I also see I missed your point about feats. Apologies.

I can't find gwm and lucky equivalents. Are they in?
the lucky equivalent is fortunate. basically the only difference is that you can't use it on a roll where you have disadvantage, which...seems to defeat the entire purpose of the name of the feat while not doing a lot to nerf it.

the gwm equivalent is powerful attacker. it gives you a free maneuver you can use for no exertion which basically fulfills the purpose of the first bullet point of gwm, and the +10 to damage attack can be used with any two handed or versatile melee weapon and only imparts disadvantage - but not ALWAYS disadvantage, which means you can negate it with advantage, which means it's unironically even more busted then regular gwm.

why they didn't just go the sharpshooter -> deadeye route for powerful attacker i will never know.

Horwath

Legend
the lucky equivalent is fortunate. basically the only difference is that you can't use it on a roll where you have disadvantage, which...seems to defeat the entire purpose of the name of the feat while not doing a lot to nerf it.

the gwm equivalent is powerful attacker. it gives you a free maneuver you can use for no exertion which basically fulfills the purpose of the first bullet point of gwm, and the +10 to damage attack can be used with any two handed or versatile melee weapon and only imparts disadvantage - but not ALWAYS disadvantage, which means you can negate it with advantage, which means it's unironically even more busted then regular gwm.

why they didn't just go the sharpshooter -> deadeye route for powerful attacker i will never know.
I always found -X/+2X attack/damage trade good in terms of math.
But, I hate that you can get +10 damage at 1st level(Vhuman/custom) or even at 4th level.
It's too much of a swing.

So, my options were always; take +1 STR/DEX with GWM/SS instead of "power attack" part,

or re scaled to:
-1 att / +2 dmg,
at 5th level -2/+4,
at 11th lvl; -3/+6,
at 17th lvl; -4/+8,

Anselm

Adventurer
Thanks! Had trouble locating them.

but not ALWAYS disadvantage, which means you can negate it with advantage, which means it's unironically even more busted then regular gwm

I guess I'm confused. It does always give disadvantage. Negating disadvantage with advantage means that an attack could have been better and you can never have full advantage on the attack.

"A powerful attack has disadvantage"

I'm fairly sure the fortunate tweak was done to prevent the quirk of turning disadvantage into super advantage.

The description is quite different:
"You gain 3 fate points. Whenever you make an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw and do not have disadvantage, you may spend a fate point to roll an additional d20 and choose whichever result you wish. You may do this after the initial roll has occurred, but before the outcome is known. If you have disadvantage, you may instead spend a fate point to choose one of the d20 rolls and reroll it. Alternatively, when you are attacked, you may choose to spend a fate point to force the attacking creature to reroll the attack. The creature resolves the attack with the result you choose"
So you can use the feat with disadvantage, it just works differently (you can reroll the worst result of a disadvantage roll)

Again, the description says something different
" Before you make a melee attack with a two-handed weapon or versatile weapon wielded with two hands, if you are proficient with the weapon and do not have disadvantage you can declare a powerful attack. A powerful attack has disadvantage, but on a hit deals 10 extra damage"
Which means that if you already have disadvantage you cannot just declare a powerful attack for +10 damage. It has to be a willing sacrifice.

EDIT: by how it's written, if your initial attack does not have disadvantage and you decide to make a powerful attack, you attack with disadvantage. You would not benefit from advantage given by other sources (this is how I'd rule it)

Last edited:

yes, but old PA scaled too fast also. with 2Hander and Leap attack feat, it got pretty crazy pretty fast.

This scales slower than PB in 5e
I agree, but it may be too slow.
Maybe later I'll run some numbers, but +10 with disadvantage may be ok in terms of balance. It's a huge bonus at low levels, but the chances to hit are roughly halved.
With a -x/+2x you also re-introduce static situational bonuses or penalties in the game, which I'd rather get rid of completely

Horwath

Legend
I agree, but it may be too slow.
Maybe later I'll run some numbers, but +10 with disadvantage may be ok in terms of balance. It's a huge bonus at low levels, but the chances to hit are roughly halved.
With a -x/+2x you also re-introduce static situational bonuses or penalties in the game, which I'd rather get rid of completely
if you do not want to fiddle with the numbers, then making it a half feat without that works great.

I guess I'm confused. It does always give disadvantage.
there are some abilities that impose disadvantage on a roll that can't be negated by advantage (i.e. even if you have advantage you still roll twice and take the lower result). that's what i was referring to.
It's a huge bonus at low levels, but the chances to hit are roughly halved.
this isn't true at all - while dnd and level up consider disadvantage to be about a -5, it's actually closer to a -3 (specifically about -3.33). i guess in very specific circumstances that can equate to halving your chances to hit, but in those circumstances a -5 is going to be straight up worse.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases