• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What IP would you like to see as an RPG?

Undrave

Legend
Possibly, but I figured everyone would want to get in on the monster action. I guess letting the players transform into giants ala Ultraman/Spectreman/Zone Fighter works too. Or having their own Jet Jaguar robots.

The Monster Attack Squad often have jets and other vehicles and artillery to bring about that can be quite effective. In Ultraman Z I think human-built robot Sevenger basically has the best win-loss ratio of any non-Ultra ally and it's the junker they start the show with :p. I suggested a team monster so that all player can take turn controlling it if their characters isn't engaged in something else.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
The Monster Attack Squad often have jets and other vehicles and artillery to bring about that can be quite effective. In Ultraman Z I think human-built robot Sevenger basically has the best win-loss ratio of any non-Ultra ally and it's the junker they start the show with :p. I suggested a team monster so that all player can take turn controlling it if their characters isn't engaged in something else.
I mean that can work, just wasn't what I expected a group of players to want, after seeing starship combat in Starfinder.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I burned out on The Walking Dead some time ago, but I'm surprised that hasn't been made into an officially licensed RPG yet.
I don’t think it’s distinctive enough to be its own RPG. There’s nothing about it that would be difficult to handle in a homebrewed campaign for any system designed for modern settings.

Not exactly the kind of IP I’d bid on for any RPG company I can think of.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
I don’t think it’s distinctive enough to be its own RPG. There’s nothing about it that would be difficult to handle in a homebrewed campaign for any system designed for modern settings.

Not exactly the kind of IP I’d bid on for any RPG company I can think of.

I don't disagree with you. But I also would have assumed that the same reasoning applied to...

I guess the distinguishing factor is TWD is not old enough to qualify for the nostalgia factor yet.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't disagree with you. But I also would have assumed that the same reasoning applied to...

I guess the distinguishing factor is TWD is not old enough to qualify for the nostalgia factor yet.
A couple of those do have some unique setting elements that might need some special mechanics- kaiju, space ships, super-soldier, mecha, etc.. But slow contagion zombies that get stopped by headshots aren’t exactly exotic. Arguably, my prior sentence sums it up sufficiently.

JEB

Legend
The Dark Tower - many whens and many worlds, form your ka-tet, load your guns, and remember, all things serve the f-in’ Beam!
Considering this would also open up the rest of King's properties as potential expansion material, this seems like a pretty strong choice.

Shannara- Pretty close to D&D potentially, could mostly be a setting, especially love the later world with crystal-tech airships. But the post-apocalyptic fantasy, the ancient powers from before the world that was lost, the strange nature of magic. Love it.
There was actually an issue of Dragon (#286) dedicated to Shannara material for D&D 3E.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I have received confirmation from Shawn Speakman (Terry's key assistant) that Terry is open to any and all licensing proposals. I have no idea myself how to present such a proposal for licensing, or what would be reasonable and not come off as insulting.
Maaaaan I’d love to see soemthing.

Also his Knight of The Word books. His take on magic within the modern world is very cool.
Considering this would also open up the rest of King's properties as potential expansion material, this seems like a pretty strong choice.
Hell yeah.
There was actually an issue of Dragon (#286) dedicated to Shannara material for D&D 3E.
Interesting! Thanks for the tip!

Remove ads