What IP would you like to see as an RPG?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In the past year we've seen quite a few new RPGs based off of beloved IP: Avatar the Last Airbender, GI Joe, and Bladerunner to name a few.

What settings would you like to see put into an RPG?
Oh man.

The Dark Tower - many whens and many worlds, form your ka-tet, load your guns, and remember, all things serve the f-in’ Beam!

Abhorsen -Learn necromancy and Charter magic, master the Bells, travel the River, and keep the world safe from the forces of wild magic run amok.

Shannara- Pretty close to D&D potentially, could mostly be a setting, especially love the later world with crystal-tech airships. But the post-apocalyptic fantasy, the ancient powers from before the world that was lost, the strange nature of magic. Love it.

Aldarc

Legend
This is a tough one!

The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman? Similar problems to a James Bond rpg, but more drama-based systems could handle a group of supporting characters around a titular hero. Mostly, I'd want a system that emulates the kind of threats that heroes in '70s tv shows had to face, i.e. mostly mundane criminals and enemy agents. Steve Austin and Spider-man were mostly fighting bad guys that Charlie's Angels could take down. Yeah - give me a system that makes facing '70s primetime tv villains fun!
Whether IPs are RPGs or not doesn't seem to matter as much, IMHO, as whether or not they are well-designed or quality ones that reflect the source material well. Some IPs have TTRPGs with designs feel like phoned-in performances or poorly mismatched to the system. I will admit that this latter point is often a matter of opinion, which often surfaces its head when it comes to adaptions of IPs to the given D&D system of the era, whether that's the d20 System or the 5e one.

But I will throw out some IPs that I think are strong candidates for TTRPGs:

* League of Legends: Riot is expanding from its MOBA origins to collectable card games, a planned fighting game and MMORPG, and even televised media (e.g., Arcane).

* Divinity: Original Sin: In many respects, it already plays out as a computerized TTRPG and Larian Studios is working on Balder's Gate 3. But imagine a TTRPG based on the play systems and such in Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2.

* The Legend of Zelda: It's time for a TTRPG based on questing in Hyrule.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Redwall, maybe?
Also, the thread about the d20 Modern kickstarter movie adventures got me thinking that the movie They Live might also make for a fun setting for a short campaign.
roddy piper chew bubblegum and kick ass GIF

GreyLord

Legend
Redwall, maybe?
Also, the thread about the d20 Modern kickstarter movie adventures got me thinking that the movie They Live might also make for a fun setting for a short campaign.

The closest they've ever gotten has been mouseguard or Trolllord's Harvester's RPG.

This is one that I'd be all for.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Shannara- Pretty close to D&D potentially, could mostly be a setting, especially love the later world with crystal-tech airships. But the post-apocalyptic fantasy, the ancient powers from before the world that was lost, the strange nature of magic. Love it.
I have received confirmation from Shawn Speakman (Terry's key assistant) that Terry is open to any and all licensing proposals. I have no idea myself how to present such a proposal for licensing, or what would be reasonable and not come off as insulting.

Undrave

Legend
Godzilla. You play as agents of a mysterious organization plumbing old facilities in search of lost monsters and weapons (maybe MONARCH).

"No one has been in this facility since the 80s!" The team archivist says, excited.

The massive steel shutter doors open, creaking and groaning, and the team leader gestures for everyone to be cautious. Lights begin to slowly switch on, and there, locked into place by gantries, is a huge metallic dragon, it's armored hide made from a titanium alloy made under zero-g conditions.

"My God...it's the first Mechagodzilla! But I thought it was destroyed..."

At least, for 75% of the game. The rest of the game, you get to play as your very own custom monster, for when the team awakens some horrible calamity upon the world!
Sounds just like an Ultraman game with extra steps :p

Or maybe Godzilla the Series I guess...

You'd have to design a system where multiple player can pitch in to control one giant unit. A similar challenge posed by Power Rangers' Megazord. Curious how that got resolved by Renegade Studio?
Redwall, maybe?
Redwall's a good one but I think there's already a game out there where you play woodland critters, no?

Remove ads