D&D 5E What is +1 Strength worth?

I agree completely...everyone having the same ability scores, for purely math reasons, is one of my biggest gripes with the game. I do everything on my end to fix this, like avoiding point-buy and arrays, but I can't remember the last time I saw a character that didn't have 20 in their key ability score by 4th level. The assumption that "I must start with an 18 in <whatever> to be effective" is absolutely false, but it's still very strong among players.
how does not useing arrays and point buy (so I assume rolling) help if people still put highest in X second highest in Y?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
how does not useing arrays and point buy (so I assume rolling) help if people still put highest in X second highest in Y?
Using arrays and point-buy does nothing to keep people from putting their highest stat in their key ability score and their second-highest in Con. But it does help prevent every character at the table from having six identical ability scores. And it's not a problem if they do, per se, I just think it's boring. I start rolling my eyes after I've seen the same character with 10 different names.

Using arrays and point-buy does nothing to keep people from putting their highest stat in their key ability score and their second-highest in Con. But it does help prevent every character at the table from having six identical ability scores. And it's not a problem if they do, per se, I just think it's boring. I start rolling my eyes after I've seen the same character with 10 different names.
How it logically should work under point buy, is that your class' main score costs more! Yes, it might seem counterintuitive and is in effect the exact opposite of the current situation where the initial ASIs are de facto determined by the class, thus effectively making the main score cheaper. But if we want not-maxing the main score to be a viable option, and accept that the main score is most 'valuable' then it follows that it should cost more than the scores that are 'less valuable' to your class.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
FWIW, please don’t take my analysis and conclusions to mean I love the system. I’m just the messenger.

Remove ads