What is a druid?

Aldarc

Legend
I think it is because primal spirits aren't a "thing" in 5e (yet).
Of course, but I have nevertheless heard many people speak well of how 4e illuminate a difference between druids and other spellcasters through the primal source in 4e. A few people here on this forum have even indicated that they still maintain the primal source as a quasi-canonical explanation for druidic powers.

Fey kind of have the primal spirit role (among other roles), but they are pretty wanton with their affections: they power up warlocks, paladins, and are a named as a possible source for how you become a wild magic sorcerer entry in the PHB, and then eventually become buddies with glamour bards, so it is hard to say they are particularly pro-druid. Also, when a cleric loses concentration on conjure celestial, it doesn't get mad at him (even if it is an evil fallen celestial), but a druid losing concentration on conjure fey has an angry fey on his/her hands. That doesn't signify a friendly relationship between druids and fey.
There was a difference between Fey and Primal even in 4e. PHB2 suggested that there was some overlap given that both had a certain fondness for the natural world and wilderness, the fey were primarily creatures and denizens of the Feywild, while the Primal forces of druids, wardens, barbarians, and shamans centered around the spirits and natural forces of the Prime.

Of course, but I have nevertheless heard many people speak well of how 4e illuminate a difference between druids and other spellcasters through the primal source in 4e. A few people here on this forum have even indicated that they still maintain the primal source as a quasi-canonical explanation for druidic powers.

There was a difference between Fey and Primal even in 4e. PHB2 suggested that there was some overlap given that both had a certain fondness for the natural world and wilderness, the fey were primarily creatures and denizens of the Feywild, while the Primal forces of druids, wardens, barbarians, and shamans centered around the spirits and natural forces of the Prime.

I would be quite happy if they brought back primal spirits, and I agree that the primal power source makes it easier to explain how druids are different, but what I was trying to say (and didn't do very well) is that it isn't easily actionable in 5e. By that I mean, if someone said "primal power is cool, what should my druid do?" brings us right back to the OP's question.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I like to look at the spell list around level 9 and level 5 to see what themes are happening and for druid you get Commune with Nature at level 5 and the general themes of plants, animals, wilderness survival, healing, rot, wind/storms, earthquakes. sunlight

So Druids are all about Communing with Nature to the extent that they become part of Nature in all its aspects. They see the cycle of growth, destruction, death and decay as the natural process of life and place themselves as part of it, nurturing seeds and bringing sun and rain to the farmers fields as well as leading the wolves in their hunt, they might bring ask the mountain spirit (fey) to let some humans pass safely through, or they might bring blight from the swamplands or rot and disease up from a cities sewers, and other druids might revel in the destruction wrought by storms and earthquakes.

Last edited:

Remove ads