D&D 5E What IS a level 1 Fighter?

When I say "Level 1 Fighter" what image first comes to mind?

• A farm hand picking up a sword to go slay goblins

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Someone who just started training with weapons

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • A veteran who turns his skills with weapons toward adventuring

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Something else entirely

Votes: 22 25.0%

Commoners of level 4?! Commoners by definition don't have PC levels though.

A level 1 Fighter is way stronger than that Soldier, considering the standard array and the combination of Action Surge and Fighting style.

Just the fact that the Fighter has enough experience to have developped an actual Fighting Style tells me they've been in fights before. Maybe not a lot, but they've probably killed someone before...

Such as what exactly? DnD has no facing rules.
Commoners dont have pc levels but they can certainly have levels.

Commoners of level 4?! Commoners by definition don't have PC levels though.

A level 1 Fighter is way stronger than that Soldier, considering the standard array and the combination of Action Surge and Fighting style.

Just the fact that the Fighter has enough experience to have developped an actual Fighting Style tells me they've been in fights before. Maybe not a lot, but they've probably killed someone before...

Such as what exactly? DnD has no facing rules.
There are rules pertaining to backstab and other similar mechanics which take into account being behind or concealed (and by "from the back" i had been lazily saying "from unawares")

Undrave

Legend
There are rules pertaining to backstab and other similar mechanics which take into account being behind or concealed (and by "from the back" i had been lazily saying "from unawares")

Well, if the Fighter is attacking a target that is unaware then they get advantage on their attack roll. Since they're not rogues they don't get Sneak Attack.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I think the weird thing is that in 5e, the answer is "both"

There is a tension between the two. On one hand, as you say, the first level fighter definitely is a cut above in level of training and fighting experience. Buuuuuuuuuut it takes so little xp to get to level two. So is it a hardened veteran or no? You sneeze and scare a sleeping goblin away and boom you're level 2. (I exaggerate yes... a bit...). Feels like a beginner learning in a baptism of fire - you learn very fast, if you survive.

Well, if the Fighter is attacking a target that is unaware then they get advantage on their attack roll. Since they're not rogues they don't get Sneak Attack.
I know they dont get sneak attack. My point was to show you there are in fact rules that are relevant to facing among other similar details. You made a blanket statement that there were none.

MGibster

Legend
I even see Sorcerers as individuals who have had some training. Sure, their powers manifest without training but by the time they're 1st level they're able to use their spell with a great deal of precision while suffering the stress of combat. They've had some practice. A Fighter starts out with the ability to effectively use almost all arms & armor in existence. Those ladies and gentlemen have had a fair bit of training to reach that point.

Remove ads