D&D 5E What IS a level 1 Fighter?

When I say "Level 1 Fighter" what image first comes to mind?

• A farm hand picking up a sword to go slay goblins

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Someone who just started training with weapons

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • A veteran who turns his skills with weapons toward adventuring

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Something else entirely

Votes: 22 25.0%

How strong do you think a regular soldier is then?
An average soldier (that hasnt been power gamed AT ALL and has 10, 10, 10, 11,11,11 before any adjustments), with a weapon, against the average commoner, of level 4, should be able to kill in 2 hits or less 60 percent of the time. Or 70 percent of the time in 1 hit from behind. I dont think that would be the case with a level 1 fighter. A "veteran" is trained ti be lethal.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
An average soldier (that hasnt been power gamed AT ALL and has 10, 10, 10, 11,11,11 before any adjustments), with a weapon, against the average commoner, of level 4, should be able to kill in 2 hits or less 60 percent of the time. Or 70 percent of the time in 1 hit from behind. I dont think that would be the case with a level 1 fighter. A "veteran" is trained ti be lethal.
Bwahahaha u never served as a soldier is all in an say to that

Hussar

Legend

Why should being behind matter in D&D terms?

Celebrim

Legend
A level 1 fighter is in my game, a character who has had some amount of formal training in the use of weapons, but is not necessarily intensely trained and is not experienced. This could vary broadly from a farmer boy who dreams of being a knight, and has trained in the local militia, to a young squire who will be knight someday. Depending on age and type of training, I'd expect that they'd received anything from 3 months of training to several years.

Undrave

Legend

Commoners of level 4?! Commoners by definition don't have PC levels though.

A level 1 Fighter is way stronger than that Soldier, considering the standard array and the combination of Action Surge and Fighting style.

Just the fact that the Fighter has enough experience to have developped an actual Fighting Style tells me they've been in fights before. Maybe not a lot, but they've probably killed someone before...

There are plenty of abilities in d&d that take this into account actually.

Such as what exactly? DnD has no facing rules.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
The 5e NPC statblock for "Guard" is Str 13, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 10, has AC 16 and 11 hp on 2d8+2.

And a Level 1 Fighter is more skilled (literally, these guys only have one skill), with more abilities (fighting style, second wind), and more stat'd up than these guards earning their living as professional guardsmen!

Remove ads