D&D 5E What IS a level 1 Fighter?

When I say "Level 1 Fighter" what image first comes to mind?

• A farm hand picking up a sword to go slay goblins

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Someone who just started training with weapons

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • A veteran who turns his skills with weapons toward adventuring

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Something else entirely

Votes: 22 25.0%

BigBadDM

Explorer
My question was more related to class design I guess. What is the default assumption that informed the design of the Fighter's level 1 and 2 class features (and suite of proficiencies).

The assumption is you are trained at hitting things with weapons. You have skills related to combat since you are good at hitting things with weapons.

You should allow multiple selections, because the fighter class is expected to represent any and all of these.

Wizards having spent years studying magic is basically the default for the Wizard class

This is absolutely not required by the rules, and the wizard background example in Xanathar's Guide is a character with no training who stole a spellbook.

Which is a view I think is unfair to the Fighter because it's used to diminish what they can or COULD potentially do.

On the contrary, the chosen one becomes the mightiest hero of them all.

It is the veteran soldier who is destined to never grow beyond a supporting role.

Hero's journey - Wikipedia

Undrave

Legend
I mean, sometimes! Sometimes there are (non-adventuring) NPCs that have levels. You know, the "important" ones.

It's just, you know, a game concept. Not an immutable property of the world.

Meh, building NPCs with class levels is a hassle :p just throw some ability in a stat block and call it a day.

Undrave

Legend
You should allow multiple selections, because the fighter class is expected to represent any and all of these.

I know, but I didn't ask what you think the Fighter class covers, I asked what is the FIRST image that pops in your head. I know the Fighter can cover these and a lot more through use of background and clever role play. That's not what is in question.

Undrave

Legend
I think you’re missing the middle ground which is what I think the answer actually is. You go from just starting training to a veteran. The actual answer is someone who has completed training,but doesn’t have much practical experience. Like a modern day soldier who completed boot camp.

That was my intention with the second choice but I didn't word it properly. Sorry.

I'm of the mind that somebody with a level in Fighter has already been in the fighting business for quite some time. That their class levels represent a degree of exceptional skill that distinguishes them from an NPC statblock. I feel that most of the classes fit this mold, the most notable exception being the Sorcerer, whose abilities tend to manifest spontaneously and without training/learning.

Article on the subject that is a big influence on my view: Dragonmarks: The Fighter

Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
I see level 1 and 2 as the learn the game and mechanics levels. Your character doesn't actually start until level 3. There is no way you can justify why your character learns their level e abilities unless years have past between levels 2 - 3. 8bwould even argue just skipping the first 2 levels if you're starting a game with all veteran players. But if I were going to create a real world equivalent of a level 1 fighter, it would be someone who joined the Army or Marine Corp, completed their basic and infantry training and is now at their permanent duty station, but have not been in real combat yet.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases