D&D General What is a Ranger? A miserable pile of secrets! (+)

What is a Ranger? (pick up to 3)

• Archery! Rangers and Bows. They just make sense.

Votes: 48 40.0%
  • Dual wielding! Just like Drizzt taught me!

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Nature! But none of that magic crap, more like, "hey, that's poison oak, don't touch that"

Votes: 67 55.8%
  • Magic! Like a mini-druid. Maybe poultices. Plants and animals are friends! With magic!

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • Animal companions! Just like Drizzt taught me!

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • DPS! Damage on damage on damage. Doesn't matter how, just keep magic out of it! They're martial!

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Favored foes! The "X killed my family" trope is due for a comeback! You'll see! You'll all see!

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Stealth! Stalking through the woods, unseen, unheard, unsmelt. This is the way.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Aragorn! Just being Aragorn. That's all it ever was.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • Rogues! Just replace buildings with trees

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Monster Hunting! Toss a coin to your Drizzt!

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • Environmental Adaptation! A Drizzt of all seasons!

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Magical Weapons Combat! Look I don't even know at this point

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Katniss! Dump Strider in the past! The future is catching fire and mocking jays!

Votes: 2 1.7%

Stalker0

Legend
A list of characters that I identify as "rangers":

Legolas — Archery theme, and guide.
Aquaman — The aquatic Beastmaster.
Batman — The urban "Hunter" type.
Sam & Dean from Supernatural — Hunters/Monster Slayers.
All of these I would consider fighters or rogues. Legolas is pure fighter. Aquaman is a fighter with supernatural powers added on. Batman definitely a rogue. Sam and Dean, no real woodsmen there, the boys prefer the urban diner not the cabin in the woods. I would actually call them rogues more than fighters maybe, or fighter/rogues.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Bows, bows, bows... all I ever hear is bows. :(

My current ranger is a firbolg sword/shield build, and STR-based (18), not DEX (12), in breast plate for AC 17, picking up the gloom stalker subclass.

Frankly, I have found this to be a VERY refreshing take on the class! :)

I think I'm one of 3 people on the planet that liked the original 1e ranger. I always ran them as an order that reported to a druidic circle so in effect they were the Druids marshal arm.
Count me among them, 1E ranger is my favorite.

All of the above, but not all at once. A well-designed ranger class would let you do any of those things, but probably not all of those things.

If I were building a new ranger class, though, I'd specifically start with the beastmaster. Get that to work. Then, take away the pet. The remaining design space is where all your other subclasses go.

A list of characters that I identify as "rangers":

Aragorn — Melee theme, and survival focus.
Legolas — Archery theme, and guide.
Aquaman — The aquatic Beastmaster.
Batman — The urban "Hunter" type.
Grizzly Adams — A Beastmaster living in the wilds.
Lone Ranger — Hunter/Bounty Hunter, with a spot of Beastmaster.
Sam & Dean from Supernatural — Hunters/Monster Slayers.
Drizzt — Mishmash of ranger subclasses.

There is no single poll option that fits all of them. Most of them could be described as living on the boundary between two worlds, including knowledge of the dark sides of their frontiers. Hunting is a common theme.

Weapons vary wildly. Nature is fairly common, if only because that's often part of the scope of "frontier", and includes being able to make good use of the environment. Magic is spotty.

I wouldn't classify any of them as "fighter". They can all fight, but fighting itself isn't their concept or theme. I also wouldn't classify them as "rogues", who I see as more selfish in behavior.
I love this! Particular, the "warrior who exists in two worlds" idea. Love love love!

Oofta

Legend
This ranger is more like a bow-rogue:light/med armour, ranged focused and using sneak attack(hunters mark/favoured foe) for situational damage boosts, while the fighter has more health, better armour and weapons, higher and non-situational base damage, more attacks, manoeuvres...
But other than hunter's mark what makes them that much different from rogue scout?

Oofta

Legend
If I had a mundane ranger, I'd look to Aragorn for inspiration. Yes, he can heal but it's because of his knowledge of plants. He has to go to the elves for magical healing. Instead give him something similar to the Healer feat but make it scale with level. As I stated before, give them advantage on stealth in wilderness areas. I'd also probably consider some sort of trap making ability, with a variety of traps that do things other than damage. If you want a bit of supernatural, make it a connection to wild animals and beasts. Again, if you have an animal companion, just make it so they can train it to attack don't just make it a puppet.

Beyond that and wearing medium or light armor? So many options if you want a bit of supernatural without explicitly going to spells. Make a "fury of the wild" feature that works similar to hunters mark or "wolf stride" to double speed so many times per day.

Remove ads