D&D General What is a Ranger? A miserable pile of secrets! (+)

What is a Ranger? (pick up to 3)

• Archery! Rangers and Bows. They just make sense.

Votes: 48 40.0%
  • Dual wielding! Just like Drizzt taught me!

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Nature! But none of that magic crap, more like, "hey, that's poison oak, don't touch that"

Votes: 67 55.8%
  • Magic! Like a mini-druid. Maybe poultices. Plants and animals are friends! With magic!

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • Animal companions! Just like Drizzt taught me!

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • DPS! Damage on damage on damage. Doesn't matter how, just keep magic out of it! They're martial!

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Favored foes! The "X killed my family" trope is due for a comeback! You'll see! You'll all see!

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Stealth! Stalking through the woods, unseen, unheard, unsmelt. This is the way.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Aragorn! Just being Aragorn. That's all it ever was.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • Rogues! Just replace buildings with trees

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Monster Hunting! Toss a coin to your Drizzt!

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • Environmental Adaptation! A Drizzt of all seasons!

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Magical Weapons Combat! Look I don't even know at this point

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Katniss! Dump Strider in the past! The future is catching fire and mocking jays!

Votes: 2 1.7%

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I've always seen Legolas's features (Elven eyes, walking on snow) more as "elf features" than ranger of any sort. I would definitely see him as a fighter, perhaps with a bit of rogue thrown in (for expertise).

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I've always seen Legolas's features (Elven eyes, walking on snow) more as "elf features" than ranger of any sort. I would definitely see him as a fighter, perhaps with a bit of rogue thrown in (for expertise).
Yes, Legolas is that guy who has Expertise in Acrobatics and is constantly asking the DM "can I make an Acrobatics check?".

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I would agree - Legolas is an archer. Period. What ranger-y things does he do? He has some of Tolkien's "elves are human but better" qualities, but other than that I just don't see it.

Y'all just convinced me that LotR used race as class for Legolas and Gimli.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, it’s the second sentence where you lose me.
What abilities would a desert ranger or arctic ranger have that is different than a forest ranger? At level 5? level 10? level 15?

Again, a lot of people's ideas of a ranger is based of characters in low level settings and low magic settings. D&D get to higher magic or higher level that American folktales, YA fiction or LOTR.

Most examples of rangers are not past level 5.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
What abilities would a desert ranger or arctic ranger have that is different than a forest ranger? At level 5? level 10? level 15?

Again, a lot of people's ideas of a ranger is based of characters in low level settings and low magic settings. D&D get to higher magic or higher level that American folktales, YA fiction or LOTR.

Most examples of rangers are not past level 5.
I’m well aware of your stance on the necessity of high magic in D&D, and I simply disagree. There’s not much point in you and I discussing rangers or halflings.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Y'all just convinced me that LotR used race as class for Legolas and Gimli.
Except Legolas apparently lacks the Intelligence to cast Magic User spells. But Gimli? Man, he's the Ur-Dwarf. The Dwarfiest Dwarf that ever Dwarfed. He doesn't need a class. Every blank spot on his character sheet, just put "Dwarf".

And yet, he makes friends with Legolas and is staggered by Galadriel's beauty. But I guess "hidden depths" is also a Dwarf trope.

GreyLord

Legend
Well...

A Ranger is a Police officer. They enforce the laws of various governments or government officials in the wild-lands which they patrol.

They could also be seen as protectors of those lands and the vehicle between the land/nature and civilization and the inherent combination which allows both to coexist with each other at the same time.

Remove ads