D&D General What is a Ranger? A miserable pile of secrets! (+)

What is a Ranger? (pick up to 3)

• Archery! Rangers and Bows. They just make sense.

Votes: 48 40.0%
  • Dual wielding! Just like Drizzt taught me!

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Nature! But none of that magic crap, more like, "hey, that's poison oak, don't touch that"

Votes: 67 55.8%
  • Magic! Like a mini-druid. Maybe poultices. Plants and animals are friends! With magic!

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • Animal companions! Just like Drizzt taught me!

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • DPS! Damage on damage on damage. Doesn't matter how, just keep magic out of it! They're martial!

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Favored foes! The "X killed my family" trope is due for a comeback! You'll see! You'll all see!

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Stealth! Stalking through the woods, unseen, unheard, unsmelt. This is the way.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Aragorn! Just being Aragorn. That's all it ever was.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • Rogues! Just replace buildings with trees

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Monster Hunting! Toss a coin to your Drizzt!

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • Environmental Adaptation! A Drizzt of all seasons!

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Magical Weapons Combat! Look I don't even know at this point

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Katniss! Dump Strider in the past! The future is catching fire and mocking jays!

Votes: 2 1.7%

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I’m well aware of your stance on the necessity of high magic in D&D, and I simply disagree. There’s not much point in you and I discussing rangers or halflings.
Summoning dust and brambles isn't high magic in D&D. Mid level rangers could do that since 3e as half casters.

I didn't want to reply to stuff that would just be repeating my own points, but I was going to admit that the Legolas option was a bit iffy. With the above discussion, I agree to drop him entirely from the ranger list.

Undrave

Legend
But why would I want to play a fighter if I can play the way more interesting Fighter-on-Wild-Steroids? The martial Ranger just ends up making the Fighter seem pretty boring.

That’s the Fighter’s problem, not the Ranger’s.

Correct, yet it is still a problem lol
This is why, if they're not gonna give us the Warlord, the Warlord should just absorb the Fighter and steal his name. If people want to play a dumb 'I whack it with my stick!' class, they can play a Barbarian.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Yes, and what I want from a ranger is a non-caster.
What are your opinions of high level ranger class features?

Because many classic ranger (calling animals, spelling to animals/plants, communing with spirits/fey, quick camo), Dar (see through animals) or Aragorn stuff (healing, divination) is spell-casting.

That's before getting into dealing natural disasters, magical weather, eldritch storms, and planar environments.

Because Poison Oak is not a level 15 obstacle. An Endless Plummet (Level Up p121) or Fey Glade (Level Up p123) are.

The question becomes:

Can a non-casting ranger disable or withstand a natural obstacle created by magical beings or features that might naturally occur there?

Did no one mention Rambo as a Ranger archetype? Especially as John Rambo in First Blood, by the second movie he’s clearly taken at least a one level Barbarian dip for a couple rages and unarmored defense, but overall lots of Rangerness there. Aside from the machine guns, I’d like to emulate that as a Ranger.

Undrave

Legend
Pets are absolutely huge to attracting people to the class and to how a lot of people, especially outside TT RPGs, see this archetype. Unlike most D&D archetypes, this archetype does exist in the greater culture.

Are they absolutely essential? No. It's toss-up between them and Stealth, I'd say, but they're far more important than Magic (which is actively antithetical to the general archetype of Ranger) or Aragorn (who originated the concept, but doesn't really act very Ranger-y).
Augh... but pets in DnD ALWAYS suck >< do we HAVE to include them?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Did no one mention Rambo as a Ranger archetype? Especially as John Rambo in First Blood, by the second movie he’s clearly taken at least a one level Barbarian dip for a couple rages and unarmored defense, but overall lots of Rangerness there. Aside from the machine guns, I’d like to emulate that as a Ranger.
Yes, Rambo certainly fits the "no armor, survival expert, ranged ranger" bill. Also with CQC training. But that opens the doors to basically any commando character (well maybe not John Matrix). Is Solid Snake a Ranger? Are Navy Seals Rangers?

The Ranger has, from the very beginning, had a touch of spirituality and mysticism. You see this in their spellcasting from issue 2 of The Strategic Review. Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar makes a point of it as well.

Personally, I rather like Lone Wolf as a Ranger, even if the Kai Lords are part Monk/Jedi.

517C7RAQ9WL.jpg

Remove ads