D&D General What is a Ranger? A miserable pile of secrets! (+)

What is a Ranger? (pick up to 3)

• Archery! Rangers and Bows. They just make sense.

Votes: 48 40.0%
  • Dual wielding! Just like Drizzt taught me!

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Nature! But none of that magic crap, more like, "hey, that's poison oak, don't touch that"

Votes: 67 55.8%
  • Magic! Like a mini-druid. Maybe poultices. Plants and animals are friends! With magic!

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • Animal companions! Just like Drizzt taught me!

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • DPS! Damage on damage on damage. Doesn't matter how, just keep magic out of it! They're martial!

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Favored foes! The "X killed my family" trope is due for a comeback! You'll see! You'll all see!

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Stealth! Stalking through the woods, unseen, unheard, unsmelt. This is the way.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Aragorn! Just being Aragorn. That's all it ever was.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • Rogues! Just replace buildings with trees

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Monster Hunting! Toss a coin to your Drizzt!

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • Environmental Adaptation! A Drizzt of all seasons!

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Magical Weapons Combat! Look I don't even know at this point

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Katniss! Dump Strider in the past! The future is catching fire and mocking jays!

Votes: 2 1.7%

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
But other than hunter's mark what makes them that much different from rogue scout?
In battle they’d get a bunch of special arrow abilities like hail of thorns, lightning arrow and conjuror barrage are currently and some that are more towards manoeuvres that can incapacitate in different ways, like shooting someone in the foot to prevent them moving and suchlike, but it’s more out of battle where they would have class abilities to forage for medicinal herbs and create potions and tinctures, having advantages to observe or research monsters and bestow that knowledge, with corresponding bonuses, to the rest of their party, abilities to forge new paths through environments that make it easier for their teammates to follow, or seeking out things, an oasis in the desert, a hidden temple in a jungle, the path through a complex cave system.

In battle they’d get a bunch of special arrow abilities like hail of thorns, lightning arrow and conjuror barrage are currently and some that are more towards manoeuvres that can incapacitate in different ways, like shooting someone in the foot to prevent them moving and suchlike, but it’s more out of battle where they would have class abilities to forage for medicinal herbs and create potions and tinctures, having advantages to observe or research monsters and bestow that knowledge, with corresponding bonuses, to the rest of their party, abilities to forge new paths through environments that make it easier for their teammates to follow, or seeking out things, an oasis in the desert, a hidden temple in a jungle, the path through a complex cave system.
Ah so like a wilder arcane ranger, eh?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Pets are absolutely huge to attracting people to the class and to how a lot of people, especially outside TT RPGs, see this archetype. Unlike most D&D archetypes, this archetype does exist in the greater culture.

Are they absolutely essential? No. It's toss-up between them and Stealth, I'd say, but they're far more important than Magic (which is actively antithetical to the general archetype of Ranger) or Aragorn (who originated the concept, but doesn't really act very Ranger-y).
And of course, all my military friends and I consider them Forest Special Forces (i.e. rangers).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
All of these I would consider fighters or rogues. Legolas is pure fighter. Aquaman is a fighter with supernatural powers added on. Batman definitely a rogue. Sam and Dean, no real woodsmen there, the boys prefer the urban diner not the cabin in the woods. I would actually call them rogues more than fighters maybe, or fighter/rogues.
What?

FireLance

Legend
Also, my personal favorite ranger class is the one in 13th Age. Pick three things off a list that mean 'ranger' to you.
Honestly, this, or the "build-a-bear" method mentioned earlier, may be the way to go in 5.5e or 6e.

WotC: After five editions, we've given up trying to define what a ranger is, so we've decided to resurrect the class ability point buy system from late 2e's Skills and Powers. So, if you don't want spellcasting, you can instead spend 40 class points on Third Extra Attack and Summon Mount, or Environment-Linked Supernatural Abilities and Martial Maneuvers.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I mean, if you look at his portrayal in the movies, his combat abilities are emphasized a lot more than his other talents. Aragorn is the one who gets the big "look at me track" scene, for example. Legolas gets the occasional "what do your Elven eyes see?" and showing off his Woodland Stride in the snow, but it's usually more about him being Drizzt with a bow.

Remove ads