D&D (2024) What is a warlock/sorcerer without a starting patron/origin?

Yaarel

He Mage
Pretty easily:

Sorcerer: 1st mysterious power coming from within. Begin with spellcasting, font of magic and metamagic.
3rd level -> Awakening (you discover the true source of you powers).

Warlock: Begins dealing with a shadowy, hidden, unfathomable power. Spellcasting + Invocations.
3rd level -> Revelation (the true nature of your patron is revealed, as well as the extent of your debt...)

Let's be honest, in most stories, these kind of characters dont start in the first chapter knowing their full origin or the identity of the mysterious benefactor.
When the Sorcerous Origin is known, and isnt mysterious?

You know your family descends from a specific origin.

What does the level 1 concept look like?

Yaarel

He Mage
The solution is:

Grant a Subclass choice at level 1 − but dont require the player to commit to it.

At level 3, a feature expresses a commitment to the Subclass.

Vaalingrade

Legend
It's kind of sad that we're doing all this mental work to justify this move that exists just to condescend to new players.

"Oh, honey, you want to have your pact-based character know and understand what the core of their character is at level 1? Bless your heart. Why don't you play with this cantrip for a couple of sessions and try not to hurt yourself. Then maybe you'll be ready for big boy choices."

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
It's kind of sad that we're doing all this mental work to justify this move that exists just to condescend to new players.

I've been playing for 40 years and I prefer delaying subclass choices. I often start playing a new character without having put a lot of thought into who he/she is and would rather have a couple of levels to figure that out.

"Oh, honey, you want to have your pact-based character know and understand what the core of their character is at level 1? Bless your heart. Why don't you play with this cantrip for a couple of sessions and try not to hurt yourself. Then maybe you'll be ready for big boy choices."

A similarly condescending satire could be written about people who think it's "mental work" to do any of this.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I kind of doubt anyone posted their ideas with literally no thought. But sure, go ahead and insult everyone in the thread trying to get a shot in at me.

Even better, we could all desist from mocking other people. Including game designers.

Remove ads