D&D 5E What is "broken" in 5e?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
You know, I mentions things that I could fix with house rules, but didn't mention my absolute biggest complaint with 5e. It's the only thing about 5e that I hate.

Expected Encounters per Long or Short Rests - this is a killer. The game really is balanced around 6-8 encounters per long rest and 2-3 per short rest. People talk about how their players walk all over encounters, and then hand wave that it's their fault when it's the only encounter in a day and the players know it. It's insidious because it is freaking huge in second order effects but not so obvious directly.

Tying getting everything back to a period of time, has a lot of verisimilitude. But then expecting that DMs will want to run every adventuring day so that there are no combat encounters, or 6-8 medium/difficult encounters breaks everything. Very often that number doesn't make sense for what's happening. Heck, I use the 5 Room Dungeon design philosophy often, I don't have 6-8 combat encounters planned for the whole adventure. I run evenings every other week and would be lucky to get 2 medium difficulty combats in, so we're talking about 1.5-2 MONTHS of real time for each adventuring day to maintain the pace it's balanced against.

You can run more difficult combats. They don't use up resources at the same rate. Buffs may last for a full combat regardless of how difficult, etc. It helps, it's not a solution.

Basically, I want, no I need the freedom to: not force a certain amount of combats between people sleeping. But at the least make it a more reasonable like 3-4 encounters and short rest become per-encounter.

My "worst case" solution above will give me the least satisfaction but will also require redoing the resource management and balance of every class. At that point just play another game.

But the other part can be handled by to unlatching regaining resources from sleeping. There are DMG variants that change it to a week or whatever. Frankly, I'd rather have it based on my needs for my current adventure, so I'd rather be a bit gamist and make short rest resources come back after every other fight and long rest come back after every 6 fights. Regardless of sleeping. (Maybe leave recuperating HD to sleep.) But that can break the narrative and verisimilitude easily.

Ashkelon

First Post
Grappled: speed 0.

My proposal was that you should be allowed to stand from prone while grappled.

Because you can't stand from prone when your speed is 0, a large creature can be pinned down, entirely immobilized, and unable to escape by a single hand from a medium sized creature. It is a silly interaction that the designers most likely did not intend (given the inclusion of the grappler feat). It means a grapple/shoved creature effectively cannot do anything to escape from a dedicated grappler. Especially because shoving is an action for monsters so they cannot attempt a multiattack in hopes of generating multiple shove attempts. It is almost as good as at-will stunning against some enemies.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I mean, it would also help if Investigation didn't keep getting its lunch money stolen by Perception.

Player: I'll take a moment to look around the room without actually moving into it...snap my fingers two or three times to see if anything moves...
DM: After ten or so seconds, it seems to be an old bedroom; bed, desk with a padded chair in the coner, a shelf on the east wall containing all manner of nik-naks, and the west side has several 4'wide book cases filled with books. Make a Perception check...
Player: I got a 16
DM: You notice something odd about the flagstones in front of the middle bookcase. It has a wide-arc'ing "path" starting just inside the left bottom corner...almost like the bookcase opens like a door...
Player: Cool! I open it!
DM: How?
Player: Um...pull on the side that swings?
DM: Nope, doesn't budge.
Player: I'll examine the bookcase to see if I can find the 'handle' or whatever.
DM: Ok, make an Investigation check...

That's how I use Perception & Investigation in my game. Perception lets you notice stuff, but doesn't do much past that. Finding a secret door with Perception means you know there is a secret door there...you still don't know how to open/activate it. You need to Investigate the surroundings to find that out.

Sorry for the minor derail...

PS: 5e isn't broken...player/DM expectations are. With 5e, you *need* a DM to massage the rules/guidelines into whatever he/she needs them to handle during a game. Some players don't like that. They are used to "hard and fast RAW" rules from 'previous editions and spin-off game systems' where this was a thing. They learned to follow rules, not use them, and when forced to use rule X for situation Y, they get..."uncomfortable". Rinse and repeat for a few weeks/months and they see the system as 'broken'. *shrug* I don't think anything is broken in 5e. I think I have maybe 3 house rules? Maybe 4? And that's just preference...not because the rules I tweaked were broken, they just didn't fit with my style of play.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
The DMG is broken.

As in, literally.

It apparently can't stand up to repeatedly whacking players over the head with it. Back in the old days, you could fight off an insurgency, use the book as body armor during a war, nearly die twice, and the book still held together enough to be played with, even though all of the ink washed out when your ship was mortared and you had to swim to shore.

Today? Barely even smack someone with it a couple hundred times and it's already falling apart.

(I honestly don't have anything really broken about 5E, so I hope this spot of humor is acceptable?)

I mean, it would also help if Investigation didn't keep getting its lunch money stolen by Perception.

An elegant fix is to reduce Perception to only be passive perception. You cant make 'active' perception checks.

If you want to make an active perception check, you're investigating. So you use Int [investigation].

It also gives Int a much needed boost.

Zardnaar

Legend
The DMG is broken.

As in, literally.

It apparently can't stand up to repeatedly whacking players over the head with it. Back in the old days, you could fight off an insurgency, use the book as body armor during a war, nearly die twice, and the book still held together enough to be played with, even though all of the ink washed out when your ship was mortared and you had to swim to shore.

Today? Barely even smack someone with it a couple hundred times and it's already falling apart.

(I honestly don't have anything really broken about 5E, so I hope this spot of humor is acceptable?)
2/ of my 5E core books have fallen apart. Yet my 1E stuff is fine. Progress.

Alatar

First Post
Suddenly there are a very select few choices that add between 30% and 100% effectiveness compared to all the rest. This is well and truly broken, since it considerably reduces variety. It reduces choice. And don't come arguing that you can still select the three-legged war scythe as a weapon. If it doesn't deal damage even comparable to what you could have chosen, it isn't really a choice.

If what you say is true, we should be seeing very few one-handed melee weapons wielded by fighters. Perhaps that is the case. Since I play in one group and I don't participate in organized play nor attend gaming conventions, I don't really know what it is that constitutes normative play. But I do know that I chose a longsword and a shield for my battlemaster. He gets +2 to AC and he knocks adversaries prone as a bonus action via the Shield Master feat. I've played the character through 11 levels and I'm very happy with my choices.

We also have a champion in our party. He's a great weapon guy. GWF/GWM/Polarm Master. He gets knocked down to 0 hp a lot. I don't. And I'm pretty sure I out-damage him, though we aren't keeping score.

As for Sharpshooter/Crossbow Expert, no one in our party of seven, over two 5e campaigns so far, has seen fit to play an archer. Too boring. Melee is where it's at, or spellcasting. Or both. In fact, we have an all-melee party, though most of them are also spellcasters. All-melee by accident. With 7 players. And it's not the first time it's happened. We had an all-melee party in 4e as well. Great campaign. I was the tactical warlord. I had 6 permanently summoned monsters. My DPR was insane.

This could all be attributed to playing style, our DM, our micro-culture. Or, it could be that some people really want to do the most damage per round; that's what makes them happy, while other people find their happiness elsewhere. Between the shield smash, Trip Attack, Menacing Attack and Pushing Attack, my battlemaster is quite the defender, which brings me joy. Commanders Strike helps me recall those salad days as a warlord, or it would if our swashbuckler ever tarried next to a target. Not that I blame him. I don't either. The champion does. Heh. And Fleet of Foot allows me to, on occasion, dance across the battlegrid. This sword & board guy is a hoot.

Maybe we don't need a Medium Weapon Master feat. If there was such a thing, would I take it? I don't know. Are feats taxes? We just hit 12th level last night. I'm trying to decide between Martial Adept and Mobile. Mobile will cut into Riposte, but I'll be a better dancer. People who are focused on DPR, I don't know what game they're playing. But there are some feats for them. I don't know that we need more.

Last edited:

Psikerlord#

Explorer
In my view the following are broken elements of 5e:

1. Passive perception
2. the -5/+10 dmg mechanic
3. the part of CE feat that negates shooting in melee disad
4. 3 death saves
5. HP and damage inflation from about 11th upwards.
6. Vengeance paladins

CapnZapp

Legend
But yeah, I want cool feats for all weapon types.
I want feats that doesn't tie you to a specific weapon type.

Feats should be for weapon styles. Things like "fighting with a one-handed weapon and a cape", or "two light weapons that I throw at people then yank out of them to reuse", or "ridiculously overlarge two-handed weapon".

The worst way is the UA way. "No thanks I don't want that Warhammer +3 of Doom, I'm specialized in axes".

If the feats instead worked by style, you could replace your axe with that epic Warhammer and still gain the benefits of your feat, no matter what your style is, as long as it involves a weapon of that type.

In other words, PHB feats like Greatweapon Mastery or Polearm mastery or Dualwielding are conceptually good (if we ignore their actual benefits). The UA feats are bad.

If anything, new feats should enable new styles - styles that are either underserved by the base rules or outright impossible.

Remove ads